• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Locking baskets

wkebrd3

Did a brief search, but didn't find anything off the bat.

I'm getting 18 new chainstars installed at my course, and 9 of the holes are going to have alternate pin locations. The sleeves have all been installed, and the baskets will be installed later this week. I was wondering, what would be the best lock to use on these? Also, I thought I had heard that there was some sort of cover designed that would go around the base pole, and you could lock this cover to the locking cover to camouflage the lock. My course isn't in the best of neighborhoods, and I would hate to have the baskets ripped off.

if you can find a way to hide the lock, then great.

Otherwise all locks generally suck. Master Locks tend to be really easy to Shim though, so they're even easier to pick.

\/\/

That reminds me of the new basket lock cover's at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood, WA. They had some baskets stolen a lil while ago and so they installed these metal covers over the bottom of the pole. There is a slot in the cover to attach the lock but it stops people from being able to cut it (you could still pick it I suppose). I swear I saw a photo of it somewhere but I cant find it now...

The Brady DGC has anti-theft covers over their baskets. You should message osbogosley for more info. He's the one that designed that course.

9ca022aa.jpg

I hope no one is taking baskets just out a big sign up that says they have gps chip like dogs do in them and it they are stolen you will be found. Ven if not true most theirs would be scared off

I hope no one is taking baskets just out a big sign up that says they have gps chip like dogs do in them and it they are stolen you will be found. Ven if not true most theirs would be scared off

drink much with breakfast? :p

The pic with the lock shroud looks like a winner to me. I use something similar on exposed valves. If you can, try to find a lock with the biggest stainless steel shackle you can get. Even if the theives get a bolt cutter on the shackle, it'll make the cutter difficult to use. (And even break cheap cutters.)

Something else to consider is a trailer hitch draw bar type lock. Something like this.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Deadbolt Barbell Hitch Pin Lock,RH-3

Mounted high enough it'll also make a pipe cutter almost useless too.

The pic with the lock shroud looks like a winner to me. I use something similar on exposed valves. If you can, try to find a lock with the biggest stainless steel shackle you can get. Even if the theives get a bolt cutter on the shackle, it'll make the cutter difficult to use. (And even break cheap cutters.)

Something else to consider is a trailer hitch draw bar type lock. Something like this.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Deadbolt Barbell Hitch Pin Lock,RH-3

Mounted high enough it'll also make a pipe cutter almost useless too.

We use these at J-Park. That 1/2" pin would take an hour to saw thru.

330563_lg.jpg

We use these at J-Park. That 1/2" pin would take an hour to saw thru.

Yep that's what I was thinking. But I was also thinking that if I were to go out stealing baskets, I'd be carrying a battery powered Sawzall and a pair of pipe ViseGrips. If someone really wants to nab something all you can do is make it difficult, not impossible.

All keyed locks are really a joke. With a little knowledge they can be defeated in seconds.

Good combination locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters are infinity times better at deterring half-wit thieves.

All keyed locks are really a joke. With a little knowledge they can be defeated in seconds.

Good combination locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters are infinity times better at deterring half-wit thieves.

I'm not that edumucated. I like matt.and.marly's more direct approach better. :)

dont forget about hooking a truck to it and pulling it out of the ground they have done that here lol

Or people that steal the basket and chains but leave the pole. Weld the top to the pole or at least weld the the nut to the bolt that holds the chain assembly to the pole.

Latest posts