• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long Layoffs

maxhz

I'm hopeful to play for the first time this Thursday-Friday, which at that time will be 18-19 days since my last time playing! My longest layoff prior was only 2 weeks about 10 or so months ago. I did need a break to give myself a rest from the sport, and also I cannot play in anything below 40-45 F and with snow. So what is your all's longest layoff ever from the sport? What was the reason for it? Did you plan to take a break prior, or was it an injury? And most importantly, how did you return to the sport? I'm hoping I didn't lose too much ability and I'll regain it quickly!

and also I cannot play in anything below 40-45 F and with snow.!

Layer up and enjoy! The only thing stopping you from playing is YOU!

And to deal with the snow: attach a 3'-0" long piece of ribbon to the bottom center of your disc using a good piece of duct tape. Very minimal (if any) change to disc flight, and great for locating in the snow.

Oh, and leave your white discs at home.

I've had two layoffs due to injuries. (Broken throwing shoulder and herniated discs.) Both during prime playing weather. Both lasted several months. After the first I tried to pick up where I left off. That didn't work. After the second I didn't throw a driver till I felt I could control it. As a result of those injuries and my retraining, I don't throw drivers as much as I used to.

I'm almost in the last month of my 6 month break from disc golf. I had to have "ACL Reconstructive Surgery." I tore my acl and haven't been released to play yet, but come January 21, 2014, you had better believe I'm gonna be on the course all day long.

I played 28 courses in 3 states this summer and was loving life. Then I had to return to work in August and I have been working literally 60-100 hours a week. And now that the days are shorter and the bad weather hits every weekend, I'm screwed. I was hoping to play in a local Ice Bowl Tournament on February 1st. IDK :(

I just started what will be my longest layoff in over 12 years. About 10 days ago I dislocated my (non-throwing) shoulder for the 3rd time playing hockey. This time, I need reconstructive surgery and I've been told to expect a 6-8 month recovery time including all my physical therapy...

This (obviously) means I'll also miss Bowling Green and the 3 local sanctioned events I try to play every year.

Every winter is a long layoff for me. I know I could play in this weather, but I really have no interest in it. I'll probably play when I'm in MD and NC for the Holidays, and maybe sometime in Feb when I go to FL, but aside from that, I'm done until March.

I'd say close to two months, but don't worry. I was definitely having fun as I was hiking a section of the Appalachian Trail! I have found a couple disc golf courses close to the AT, so it may have been even less time than that...

18-19 days? I've had layoffs that long just because life intervened. And I live on a course!

I've had two long layoffs for surgery---a torn labrum that kept my out for 4 months, but limited my play for almost 2 years, and a torn meniscus that knocked me out for 3 months.

I'm hopeful to play for the first time this Thursday-Friday, which at that time will be 18-19 days since my last time playing! My longest layoff prior was only 2 weeks about 10 or so months ago. I did need a break to give myself a rest from the sport, and also I cannot play in anything below 40-45 F and with snow. So what is your all's longest layoff ever from the sport? What was the reason for it? Did you plan to take a break prior, or was it an injury? And most importantly, how did you return to the sport? I'm hoping I didn't lose too much ability and I'll regain it quickly!

4 months early this year following a voluntary knee surgery. It was planned that I'd have it this year, since my knee is so broken down that it was limiting what I could do in the gym, and it was taking a long time to recover from 2 round days (and I'm getting older, so that doesn't help either) A lot of scar tissue and calcification was cleaned out and it feels much, much better now.

I still haven't returned to playing as much as I used to. In fact, I actually haven't played since early October. I can still make most of the shots I did previously, but there is more inconsistency and putting is a little off since I haven't been practicing - all as expected. I actually have more fun now that I don't expect myself to do as well each time I go out on the course.

I pretty much take every winter off since I live in the mountains of Colorado. And honestly I would rather drive 3 hours to Denver than play in snowshoes in 20 degree weather. So I usually don't play for around 3-4 months of the year. But I actually just went to Denver to get one last round in and I parked my first throw, made me pretty happy.

I pretty much take every winter off since I live in the mountains of Colorado. And honestly I would rather drive 3 hours to Denver than play in snowshoes in 20 degree weather. So I usually don't play for around 3-4 months of the year.

Same situation. I can drive 2 hours into new mexico to play Lion's Wilderness though. I'll probably do this more this winter but honestly for the 6+ hours it takes and the $30 in gas I'd rather go 45min the other direction and snowboard at Wolf Creek.

Same situation. I can drive 2 hours into new mexico to play Lion's Wilderness though. I'll probably do this more this winter but honestly for the 6+ hours it takes and the $30 in gas I'd rather go 45min the other direction and snowboard at Wolf Creek.

Agreed, disc golfing is awesome in the Colorado summers, but walking ten minutes to the ski resort to snowboard in waist deep snow is great for the winters.

I have gone 3-4 weeks without practicing of playing numerous times due to life, other events, job, etc. I went 4 months between sanctioned tournaments in 2009-2010 which was worse but the first tournament in 2010made up for it because it was the first time I ever got play Stoney Hill.

I picked up disc golf in college, moved to Indiana for work, and didn't pick up a disc for about 5 years. Recently found them again, and couldn't help myself, got re-addicted to the sport.

Longest I've gone without a round since I started playing was 2 weeks when I broke my wrist. After that I started going nuts and learned to play left handed. You'd have to remove both arms for me to stop playing longer than that, and even then it would only stop me as long as it took to afford some kind of prosthetic...

I took about 6 years off when I moved to Alabama. Gave my whole bag of discs to a neighbor's kid. Got back into it big time this year though and have only taken 10-14days off since.

Since becoming more serious about playing I'd say I'm currently on my longest dry spell... snowfall came early this year and I am with many others out there, I'd rather snowboard in the winter.. but perhaps this year I will buy some ribbon and see how bad winter play really is... eventually the itch will eat away at me I'm sure

Latest posts