• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long Layoffs

i have gone 14-21 days without throwing a few times in the last 3 years. i have only been playing for 3 years. my results afterwards have been a mixed bag, some great- some just kinda off. if you put the work into it before hand not so bad,but if not-it might be ugly. the key is don't expect too much, if you have a low round-awesome,if not just enjoy being out.

Today was my first round in 24 days due to a high-ankle sprain, which is the longest I've gone without playing since becoming a born-again dg'er almost 2 years ago. I still have pain in the ankle so I'm was just focusing on a smooth delivery with very little run up. I think it went all right. It's good to be back.

Layer up and enjoy!

I actually got hand warmers for Christmas! My hands are really what sting the most. Can't say it's entirely a physical thing, but knowing they'll get bitter doesn't appeal to me. Hopefully with these warmers I'll be able to play between 30-40 F. They work okay.

I know I could play in this weather, but I really have no interest in it.

That's exactly how I feel! I can't even grip a disc under 40 F. I did get hand warmers for Christmas, and they work mildly well. Not as well as you would expect I guess! Still might be nice to play a little more comfortably in cool weather. March 1 is still my favorite day of the year, haha!

No problem with temp[have played down to 25*], but it rained 2" in coastal MS today. My ride to the N.O. City Open bailed, and I didn't even feel bad about it.

After the longest 6 months of my life due to knee surgery, I'll finally be released to play this Tuesday!

I was out for 2-3 weeks for an appendectomy.
When I came back, the doctor wouldn't let me throw backhand, so I developed a wicked thumber instead.

I just dusted the bag off a few weeks ago and started playing some casual rounds again.

I started playing around late 2006 and slowed it down towards the end of 2010, my wife and I had our second child and changing jobs and everything else just took way too much time for golf anymore.

Then a few weeks ago I was cleaning out the closet and found my bag full of disc just how I had left it from the last tournament I had played "back in the day" and really felt the need to throw again.

I didn't realize how much I have missed this game!

Towards the later couple of years I had played in the past I took myself too serious and really beat myself up when playing poorly in tournaments and stuff so I think this little hiatus has really reformed some ways I feel I'm playing now.

I'm having fun all over again and I still "got IT", but this time around I'm more conscious of some of the more serious aspects of my game. I'm slowing down a lot more instead of rushing, I'm making better disc selection on my throws rather than just guessing on what might work and I've found a putting routine that feels and works perfect for me and I'm sticking to it with lots of repetition and I really think it's going to elevate me more when I begin playing competitively again.

Anyways, just thought I'd share, back in the game and loving it more than ever.

I was out for a little over a month with a torn calf muscle I suffered playing soccer with my daughter. I get so obsessed with improving my scores, that I play too much at times. My out of shape 40 yo body needs recovery time. A repetitive motion sport like dg can case some weird soreness for my aching bones. The lay off was good thing for me. Even though my body felt better, it was a enough time off to loose some touch and timing. Getting older sucks! ;)

Good Lord, you guys are wimps. I'm 55 and still a wildfire fighter. Timg, where's the finger smiley? :|

Last edited:
Maaaaaan!!! It's been almost 2 months since I've thrown last. I'm starting to freak out! Combine the fact that I moved into my first home (lots of projects going on) and that this winter has been hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another month for me to get out.

Maaaaaan!!! It's been almost 2 months since I've thrown last. I'm starting to freak out! Combine the fact that I moved into my first home (lots of projects going on) and that this winter has been hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another month for me to get out.

Whoa. Do we have the same life?

I am going on 9 weeks of no play. I had shoulder surgery on Nov.20 and probably won't be cleared to throw for another two months. Thank goodness for Tourney vids.

I have bruised ribs from a bail on the snowboard last month. It should take at least a month to recover. I've done some putting and approaches in the backyard, but no full rounds for awhile yet... :(

Latest posts