• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long putts and fade

PMantle

* Ace Member *
Putting is starting to really stand out as far as my progress(lack) is concerned. I see vids of people making lots of long putts. My makes from 30' or more are more like accidents.

Anyway, one problem I think I have is, I just don't release flat. I then have to guess how far out to the right to aim based upon distance and fade.

Is flat the goal? Are your long putts going in during a fade or are they crashing in while still flying straight?

At 30' they're usually still flat. I putt pretty aggressively so they've still got some heat on them. Outside of that and I usually nose up a bit and aim higher and to the right. That way I give them a chance and they don't go too far off if they miss.

From outside the circle, my putts are coming in from right to left unless there is something in the way. There is no best way of doing it. I would say most spin putters like it coming in more flat while pitch putters, etc, like to come in more right to left. Its all about what is more consistant for you. Try out some different types of putts outside the circle and see what gives you the best odds of making them.

It really depends. I switch inbetween push and spin putting, and on my good days I usually mix the two into an ideal putting style that is a happy medium for me. It takes a lot of practice and you need to get comfortable with however you're going to putt, just work on it a little everyday and you should be fine.

I am not the greatest putter, a few people here can attest, but I have been putting in some real effort recently. I have found that, from the circle and in, I release fairly flat or maybe with a touch of hyzer. Anyways, the goal is flat. There is a fellow player in Ga that putts fairly hard with a considerable amount of hyzer and is very accurate. The only problem is, what he makes up in accuracy, he loses in spit outs. But, he is comfortable doing what he does and he is generally a few cards in front of me.

Outside the circle, go nuts man. I just pretend it's a person and toss usually. I may get serious and jump at it, I figure I might as well try to scare the basket into catching the disc.

One way to improve your longer putts is to practice practice practice the shorter ones. If you know you cant miss from 20 feet, You'll have the confidence to take a run at that 40 footer. You've gotta be confident you can hit a comeback putt if you miss. If you're confident in your 20 foot comeback putts, you'll have a much easier time committing to that longer putt. And confidence is key.

Great stuff guys. Thanks. I almost feel like there's something wrong with my right arm. getting the disc to come out flat feels like I am stretching something to the limit. If I lose even the tiniest bit of concentration, there goes another hyzer heading staright for the chains until it fades off and misses. :banghead:

you gotta stop throwing straight at the basket. its like getting a strike in bowling, you want to hit that pocket slightly to the right side at an angle. let the chains catch your disc.

I've been using Spike's as my main putters and they work really well 30' and in with some hyzer on them. They hold the hyzer on a invisible rope straight to the basket.

A little bit further out I may flatten it out a bit more and put some height on it.

May I make a suggestion though, you can try it,but me I don't like it. Jump putting. I am strictly against jump putting. I would rather hit a clean approach upshot than take a chance of coming up short or completely blowing by the basket. Just food for thought.

Some more info that may help. I practice putting a ton. 10ft,15ft,20ft,25ft and 30ft practice all the time. I have found that putting at 25ft helps my putting game more than the other distances. It helps me make much more 30ft putts. This is just me though and it may be different for you.

Launching disks

When I throw a disc for a putt outside the circle I used to have it fade now I use my back foot to get a lot of power and don't flick my wrist too hard (that causes my disc to "wobble") and fully extend my arm almost "pushing" the disc with my forearm. Using this technique I can putt from 30' to 60' with almost 80% accuracy. My putter is a Legacy Clutch Excel Edition.

you gotta stop throwing straight at the basket. its like getting a strike in bowling, you want to hit that pocket slightly to the right side at an angle. let the chains catch your disc.
Hear hear. Truth. I learned this a while ago, I think actually through a video on Youtube.

You want to cut into the chains at an angle just like bowling a strike. Otherwise the momentum of the disc may just bounce off or blow by the chains. This is why I always try to putt with at least a little hyzer angle on my disc even if you are throwing a straight 10 foot shot.

Lately I have been practicing 20-30 footers and putting a decent angle on my disc (not drawing a hyzer line, per se) and I believe I have gotten pretty good at putting. You just have to be careful not to hyzer too much or your disc will float past the basket, but with enough practice you'll get a feel for the technique.

For putts outside the circle I do put them on a hyzer line, though.

I also have found that thinking about it messes me up. You must be zen and find a stillness in your mind, and that is when you will become one with your disc! :thmbup:

Last edited:
Hear hear. Truth. I learned this a while ago, I think actually through a video on Youtube.

You want to cut into the chains at an angle just like bowling a strike. Otherwise the momentum of the disc may just bounce off or blow by the chains. This is why I always try to putt with at least a little hyzer angle on my disc even if you are throwing a straight 10 foot shot.

Lately I have been practicing 20-30 footers and putting a decent angle on my disc (not drawing a hyzer line, per se) and I believe I have gotten pretty good at putting. You just have to be careful not to hyzer too much or your disc will float past the basket, but with enough practice you'll get a feel for the technique.

For putts outside the circle I do put them on a hyzer line, though.

I also have found that thinking about it messes me up. You must be zen and find a stillness in your mind, and that is when you will become one with your disc! :thmbup:

Solid advice. And what my local pro was telling me to do when I was taking lessons. ;)

Latest posts