• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long tee vs. short tee

Which tee pad do you use when you play?

• Short Tee Pad

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Long Tee Pad

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters
When I am traveling and visiting a course to check it out, 1-round 1-time only, I'll play whichever tee on each hole looks like the most interesting challenge. Probably 80% of the time, this is the longs, but sometimes designers stick a long tee in a silly spot just to make it tough, and the hole loses its flavor.

Overwhelmingly, most of the people I've observed out on courses I've visited, were playing the long tees.

After reading the PDGA recommendations I really should be throwing from the short...but sometimes they seems sooo simple. I guess it would actually be a little harder truthfully...if I can drive farther than the basket then I would have to learn how to throttle correctly.

I guess I will give it a shot at Alex.

It depends on who I am playing with. By myself, with no time constraints, it's longs. With my buddy, who is better than I, it's longs. With my bro-in-law, or the other noob we've just introed to the game, or if I need to play a quick round, it's shorts. I prefer now to play the longs, since my drives have improved. The longs at Bayville really just mean a second shot being about 20-30' longer.

i generally play with others, and i'll just go along with whatever they want to do. there is just one course near me that has multiple Tees and IMHO the longs add the challenge of distance but i noticed that they also made them less technical. for example the short tee may have some obstacle within the first 50' that you have to have a more technical shot to have good placement after the drive. then you move to the long which is an extra 40-100' of distance but they also move it 20' to the right so the obstacle is no longer a problem. now it's just a matter of staying in the open fairway and being able to throw far.

i enjoy what each tee provides.

Yeah ERP is like that here. There are several red and blue tees that you look at and just say "WHA??" While the black is 100' back but a straight shot more or less.

Ill play from the longer teepads if there is only one basket option (which is probably the case on most courses).

Does anyone find courses where there are two sets of baskets to go along with the two tee pads? There are a few courses i've played in Mass where sometimes the shorter holes are all par 3's and are actually more challenging than the longer holes which quite often are listed as 4's and even 5's

The courses are great since there are essentially 72 different hole possibilities (long Tee to long Hole/ short Tee to short Hole/ long tee to short hole/ short tee to long hole)

I would play long first and if time then short. I would also hold two different PR's and try to push myself to continually beat that score. I think it's just nice that courses have multiple tee pads especially when they add new challenges rather then just distance (although that works too).

All short or all long is lame. Alternate them, I say.

And I detest the notion that short tees have to neccesarily be easier, or even have to be significantly shorter. Some holes are better suited for left and right tees than long and short ones.

Overwhelmingly, most of the people I've observed out on courses I've visited, were playing the long tees.
And my observations would say its just the opposite. Of course, when I usually go out, there are mostly rec players on the course. If I see one of my tournament buddies, they're the ones using the longs.

I remember reading a golf book once and one of the stories was about a couple of Japanese players who insisted on playing from the back tees to get their money worth. Well their round took six hours and they had both almost run out of balls and both shot well over 100 and they both looked exhausted. They complained that the course wasn't very good and they didn't see what the big fuss was about. They left saying they were going to tell their friends never to play the course, Pebble Beach, because it was too tough and over-rated.

The last couple of months, I've played long tees. Gives the course a different look.

I play the tee that is easiest to find, or is marked the clearest. I have played some tees that were for a different hole because they weren't marked very well.

Around here casuals play the longs, league/more serious ams play shorts, pro and baggers play longs. I tend to mix it up but prefer tougher lines over more distance.
I will agree with scarps left right instead of back.

I remember reading a golf book once and one of the stories was about a couple of Japanese players who insisted on playing from the back tees to get their money worth. Well their round took six hours and they had both almost run out of balls and both shot well over 100 and they both looked exhausted. They complained that the course wasn't very good and they didn't see what the big fuss was about. They left saying they were going to tell their friends never to play the course, Pebble Beach, because it was too tough and over-rated.

Moral of the story is they should of disc'd instead..... And then rate a sweet course a 1 cause they had to throw 300 ft over water;)

There are only two courses I have played with clearly marked long and short tees and they are both 9 holes. I usually alternate long, short, long, short on the first 9 and short, long, short, long on the second nine.

I noticed that almost everyone playing those two courses were playing from the short tees (I play from the long tees when they are available).
Is this just happening in Madison or is this common at most of the courses that anyone else plays?

The three madison courses have pro tees that are considerably more difficult than the amateur boxes. Most people who play aren't pros, therefore, most people play from the "short tees".