• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long tee vs. short tee

Which tee pad do you use when you play?

• Short Tee Pad

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Long Tee Pad

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters
That place confuses me. The tee color randomly alternates it seems.

I know, I couldn't really figure that out. I know they're trying to extend the course, but I kind of still wish someone would go through and coordinate all of the tees.

I think the majority of players play from short tees, mainly because a lot of players are recreational golfers. I play both since most tourneys around here have you play a round from the shorts and a round from the longs.

Play both and practice ALL shots! No vote here since I play anything and everything available.

Nice to see another Pittsburgher here. I agree that our courses rock for alternate tees. In my noob experience, the tees at Moraine are much more "accurate" for the rating skill level than Deer Lakes. I play near bogey golf from both middle tees (white at Deer Lakes, blue at Moraine).

I agree that Deer Lakes' tees don't seem to play as 900 and 950 rated, except maybe under perfect playing conditions with a high percentage of A-pins. Looking back at the Hunt at Deer Lakes scores from 2009, they played more like whites=950 and blues=1000, but that was on a miserable rainy day. So, normally, I'd say whites play about 925 and blues play about 975.

Anyway, I guess the point is that the Pittsburgh system is nice because it allows us to do this type of analysis.

I play from the tees I can find on a new course, if I've played it a while I try to play from the back tees, most of the courses in MN have at most 2 spots.

I like to challenge myself if at all possible.

I think another major reason for the majority of players at Elver and Hiestand playing from the short tees is speed of play. If you don't go early in the morning, you'll be stuck on the tees for awhile. If you're going to play the deep box, you better be able to play, because everyone will be watching/waiting...

I like to practice both tees. If the course has long tees and they really are only making the shot longer than from the short tees I usually don't find that as fun, I play the long tees when they create a totally different shot than the shorts. there are local courses that the long tees just seem silly or they are just making you disc up. i will practice both though because the tournaments around here usually do play one from the shorts and one from the longs so it is beneficial to know both.

I play long tees when I am by myself, but play from the shorts when I am with my friends because they don't play as much.

It varies so much. Started out on two courses where the longs don't get much use, so got in the habit of mostly playing the shorts. But local custom in Tampa Bay, where I get to play a few times a year, most people play the longs, and the shorts are kind of short, even for my weak arm. So now I'm inclined to play whichever tee is best (short concrete over long natural, for instance), or seems to get the most use (worn down short vs. overgrown long), or is consistently 300 ft. plus. Now I have a local course where the shorts and longs are equally used, so I alternate, and with a new course with all else equial, like Giles Run, with long and short tees AND long and short baskets, I played long to long the first time, so as to play the FULL course, but if that were my local course I'd mix it up every which way. But the last time I played Turkey Lake in Orlando, where the shorts are still a decent challenge for my weak arm and the longs really do seem more for "pros" or at least far more long-throwing, serious players than myself, I played the shorts, because that just suits me best.

The main course I play is "championship" level, or at least that is what everyone says. I play the shorts there for sure. I am still a noob in my opinion so most courses I play the shorts 'cause I don't have the arm for the longs and I usually play with my 9 year old son. If the long is not too long I will give it a go.

I like to mix it up and alternate between them. Lately I have been throwing from all am tees because thats where I would be throwing from in competition.

I played doubles for the first time today. The flipped a coin to decide long/short for both the front nine and back nine.

Being my first doubles I don't know if this is the norm, but I thought it can offer a good mix of both.

If it is a casual round, I tend to stick to the long tees though.

Latest posts