• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long tees or short tees

do you play more often from long tees or short tees?

• Long

Votes: 104 63.8%
  • Short

Votes: 59 36.2%

• Total voters
i have to agree with roadtrip... I've been playing for 2 years and I'm just starting to get onto the long tees... I probably could have started a little earlier but that's besides the point.

I was out at my local course this weekend and I was approaching the first tee. Right before I got there a group of 7 DBs with one disc each jumped in front of me and started throwing from the long tees.. every single disc (mostly high speed drivers) slammed into the ground about 10 feet from the short tee and I watched as all of these guys took like 4 shots each to finish out the easiest hole on the course...

When I tried to tell them that there were shorter tees for beginners (albeit with a sarcastic tone) they gave me an attitude...

Later on in the round a couple of them almost hit me when I was teeing off and they didn't yell fore when their errant throws landed well outside of the fairway they were on... some people are just A-HOLES!

so, like roadtrip said, don't throw the long tees unless you are capable of it!!!

In casual rounds we tend to play best of. Some of the short tees require a superior golf shot compared to the longs and vice versa

Short most often.

Used to try to throw long all the time, but my age is showing. Spent more time nursing a hurt arm than playing. So now I don't try to throw my arm out of socket and enjoy the game as I can.

Can still sling the longs on a serious game when I need to though :D

Depends on the course...I don't start playing the longs until I can shoot under from the shorts.

I'll start playing longs when I move up to Intermediate. In local tourney play, Rec plays 2 rounds from the short, and Int. normally plays long in the AM, short in the afternoon.

Tees in disc golf should be based on skills and ratings.

Disagree. Tees based on skill equal pigeonholing, just like tees based on gender do. At the tournament I played this weekend, there was a different tee-basket configuration each round, but in each round everyone from the open players down to the juniors threw the same layout.

Fact is, tees are only one half of the equation in the difficulty of a hole. The position of the baskets (if you have movable baskets) is the other, and unless there are actual multiple baskets, that variable is beyond the player's control.

Not that all TDs (or even the majority) set their tournament courses up correctly, but you are wrong on this (in theory at least).

In tournament play the primary goal is to determine the winner based on the winners' display of skill on that day. The course should be set up and layouts used for each division to aid in that goal. That is really what the TD should feel obliged to do. Of course, on most courses it is not possible to do this due to configuration and logistics.

The basic idea is that you want good scoring spread. Birdies for good execution, par for average/routine, and bogey or worse for mistakes. The course set up helps assure that, if set up correctly.

For instance, if a particular division is known to have an average maximum throwing length of 300', the holes should be in that length plus/minus say 20%. That way everyone has some "must birdie" holes, and most have some "bonus birdie holes" and the players who possess the skill of good D can pick up strokes on the long (360' holes).

But, if the holes are an average of 400' +/- 20%, the vast majority of holes for the vast majority of players will be routine/boring holes: ~300' drive, ~100' doinker upshot, putt.

Sure, there will be scoring spread on such holes, but it will be mostly in the less skilled players at the bottom of the division. Chuck calls this "inverted scoring spread" - a term/concept that makes a lot of sense. In this scenario, the winner will not have the "fair" chance of separating himself by skill (the goal of competition).....rather the winner will much more likely be determined by luck (and unlucky roll/skip or a luck bounce/roll).

Make sense?

You're seeing some of those holes live this week at the Memorial with several of those holes just out of range for most pros so sometimes fluky OB provides the spread.

Generally speaking I throw from the longs as more of a challenge for me. However there are some of those holes where throwing from the short tee is just more fun due to the layout of the hole.

Only course I play longs from is my local course, and that only started this year with me consistently shooting under par from the shorts. New courses I play shorts just to get a feel for the course. Also play new courses from the shorts because I am usually playing with a group of friends that aren't as skilled for the longs.

I usually play the shorts if the option is there because I am not a very long thrower. The only 4 courses within an hour of my house only have one set of tees so I don't have to make the decision most of the time. If there are 3 sets of tees sometimes I play the middle set and sometimes if playing multiple rounds more than one set of tees. I am generally not interested in playing true gold level tees.

I didn't vote. At my home course we have red, white, and blue tees on most holes. The whites are where I normally played and on top of that the whites just got concrete pads. So that's where I like to play.

i am a ball golf player for 10 years now, i just assumed the short tees are the womens and seniors and kids.

I usually choose the tee that requires the most interesting shot. The more intricate the better.

long tees for most couse. but will play short tees when playing more then 1 road on the coures.

My putting kills my game, I gain nothing playing the shorts. The longs at least let me stretch a bit and have some throws that keep me coming back. Short courses are good for practice though.

Last edited:
The two courses on which I play 90% of my golf have single sets of tees, so there's no decision for me.

Has anyone on this thread made the distinction between types of courses? One course may be 7,500 feet from the long tees, 5,500 from the shorts. Another is 4,500 from the longs, 3,500 from the shorts. Makes a bit of difference, doesn't it? Other than those who are maxing out whatever course they play.

Latest posts