• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

disc_duffer

Hello, I've been on this site for awhile checking out all the information. Picked up the sport last November when looking for something different to do to get some exercise. Happened to be at Dick's Sports when I found a "frisbee" with a shark on it. Started throwing it around and got pissed when it would just crash and burn. Checked out youtube, this site, and Innova's site and began to educate myself.

Now I listen to Disc Golf Talk Radio podcasts at work, lurk around this site to pick up some tips, and practice in a soccer field nearby when I can. I'm from the Lancaster County PA area, so I'm really lucky to have some great courses nearby. I try to play Boulder Woods, Buchmiller, and French Creek as often as I can. Being that I still feel new and unsure about my game, I haven't joined a league yet. I plan on doing that next year.

Thanks for this newbie safe forum, and thanks to everyone for all of your info.

Welcome to the site. Don't hold back joining a league, you would be able to interact w/ other DG'ers who will be willing to offer advice.

Man, don't hesitate to join league! :)

Edit: ^2nd what MrFixIt sez re: people willing to help.

Hi Duffer...

Welcome.. I agree with the other guys check out a league. I'm a newbie and recently started playing in a Handicap league... its been a lot fun everyone's been cool to play with (they were all new at one time).It's a nice way to meet other local DG'ers.. I've noticed that when I'm out playing solo during the week that I will often bump into guys I've met during the league.

Welcome.

^^And what these guys said.

Hi Duffer...

Welcome.. I agree with the other guys check out a league. I'm a newbie and recently started playing in a Handicap league... its been a lot fun everyone's been cool to play with (they were all new at one time).It's a nice way to meet other local DG'ers.. I've noticed that when I'm out playing solo during the week that I will often bump into guys I've met during the league.

Yeah, handicap leagues are great for beginners and typically you'll meet a lot of helpful people. Since its handicap everyone has a chance to play above their game and get in the money.

Yes, don't wait to join a league. My wife took second place in a handicap league (A3 disc), her 2nd year playing. She also tied for 1st in a doubles pro/am that season. A good league will be noob friendly and most will want to help you get better. Plus they are usually a lot of fun!

Welcome and THANKYOU for being a lurker not a thread maniac.

You're doing the right thing by practicing in a field frequently. One thing that will help you a ton is to post a video of yourself throwing from a few angles. Even the most seasoned forum Dbags will help you out if you take the time to post a video. :)

Enjoy the sport and buy a roc!!!

Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. I will join a league next year and see what happens. I'll try to get enough courage to post a video of me throwing. I know the criticism may be brutal, but always honest. Might even do a few tournaments next year.

As for buying a roc...we'll see. I do enjoy Innova discs. I have a Yeti putter, a discmania psycho putter, dx shark, star mako, champ leopard, and star teebird.
I know a lot of people are either pro roc or pro buzz, but I always loved throwing my shark and mako for mids. The only other mid disc I'm thinking of getting is a Stingray.

Greetings Disc_Duffer!

I myself am in about the same boat. Been a long time lurker and finally jumped in the water today lol. I would also agree with jcassidy1990 about a Roc. I've been especially in love with a purple 175g Roc3 as of late. It has to be about the most fun disc I've ever thrown. It just goes where I want it to go, and the Jolly Launcher plastic is awesome. An AMAZING disc. But different people enjoy different things, and the Stingray is also a great disc, was my go to mid for almost 3 years when I first started playing. Get what you want and have fun, that's the most important thing! :)

Hello, I've been on this site for awhile checking out all the information. Picked up the sport last November when looking for something different to do to get some exercise. Happened to be at Dick's Sports when I found a "frisbee" with a shark on it. Started throwing it around and got pissed when it would just crash and burn. Checked out youtube, this site, and Innova's site and began to educate myself.

Now I listen to Disc Golf Talk Radio podcasts at work, lurk around this site to pick up some tips, and practice in a soccer field nearby when I can. I'm from the Lancaster County PA area, so I'm really lucky to have some great courses nearby. I try to play Boulder Woods, Buchmiller, and French Creek as often as I can. Being that I still feel new and unsure about my game, I haven't joined a league yet. I plan on doing that next year.

Thanks for this newbie safe forum, and thanks to everyone for all of your info.

Welcome Disc Duffer :)

I started playing last summer and fell in love with the sport immediately. You will get alot of satisfaction from it:)

I am in the same boat as far as leagues. I was planning on waiting until next summer to join one myself after I honed my skills a little more.

I dont mean to hijack your thread but I have to ask everyone else, How do you find the "right" league and also how do you know if they are handicappers?

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction!

P.S. Don't tell your doctor you're playing disc golf for exercise, they'll just laugh at you. = P

Greetings Disc_Duffer!

I myself am in about the same boat. Been a long time lurker and finally jumped in the water today lol. I would also agree with jcassidy1990 about a Roc. I've been especially in love with a purple 175g Roc3 as of late. It has to be about the most fun disc I've ever thrown. It just goes where I want it to go, and the Jolly Launcher plastic is awesome. An AMAZING disc. But different people enjoy different things, and the Stingray is also a great disc, was my go to mid for almost 3 years when I first started playing. Get what you want and have fun, that's the most important thing! :)

I totally understand where you are coming from. I tried the Shark3 and Mako3 when they came out, and I'm just not a fan of the champion plastic. Needless to say, there are many people who throw those discs and have great success. Paul Mcbeth seems to playing pretty well with a Roc3 the last time I checked.:)

UPDATE:

Bought a dx Stingray and I really enjoy throwing it! It just seems to want to glide forever. I was also practicing a roller for the first time and after getting the correct release point down, it just kept on rolling. Really impressed with this disc.

I also picked up yet another Yeti Pro Aviar. I've tried a dx Aviar, a JK Aviar, and a dx dart and I never felt comfortable putting with any of them. The Yeti finishes with just a slight predictable heizer every time. I now use my new 174g Yeti for putting and my older yellow 178g for straight upshots.

Thanks for the advice everyone and keep on having fun!

Latest posts