• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longer Approach Disc

sqorbit

I'm just starting out and have mostly focused on close putts and drives to get my technique down. I'm still pretty a pretty bad player though and as such I end up with some longer approach shots that I don't like to use a mid range for. I use the Avair exclusively as my putter. Is there an approach disc that easy for beginners to use that will give me a little more distance than my putter? I'm using a Shark for most of my mid range shots since that was recommended as a good beginners disc. I guess what I'm looking the disc equivalent of a pitching wedge. Is there such a thing or should I just be focusing on the Shark for these shots?

If you practice your technique a putter should be completely usable between 10-270', and mids also cover a lot of the same range while also extending it further. What you actually want to use depends as much on your style as it depends on the circumstances.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with the shot? What sort of range are we talking about? Why don't you like using your mids at that range and why doesn't the Aviar work? Give us a bit more to work with. Also I'd say that since you're just starting out, one of the best things to do is to learn how to throw putters longer and straighter. An Aviar can go a long long way without flipping with good technique and the answer to your problem might not be a disc at all, just learning how to throw better. Quick fixes like too specific discs tend to cause trouble down the line. =)

But as a general thing if you're looking for a tweener disc between normal putters and mids, faster putters like the Dart can work well, and there are also a range of stabilities out there depending on if you want them to just fly like you throw them or if you want them to sit down reliably and not keep on gliding excessively.

It depends on what distances you're throwing the Shark and Aviar and what flight characteristics you're looking for. Conventional wisdom is to practice making longer throws with your Aviar and practice powering down on the Shark. I assume you're using a DX Putt and Approach Aviar as your putter- a KC Aviar will give you more overstability on longer throws if that's what you're looking for.

IMO using an overstable putter while trying to learn defeats the purpose to some extent. A new or slightly used DX Putt & Approach can handle 300' with barely any turn when thrown cleanly, but won't if you just power it, making it a great learning tool.

The Innova Wedge might suit your needs. They getty flippy real quick, so I would probably get star plastic in max weight.

i like the mako for those shots it powers down real well for a mid and is easy to release clean.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like I need to really work on technique with the Avair and try to get longer with it. I am not happy with the distance I was getting from it. It seemed that when I got any sort of distance out of it I was losing control of my shot.

I am using the DX for the Avair so getting a new Avair in different plastic is on my to do list now.

I'll probably check out the Wedge too and see what happens.

If anything, the DX Aviar will probably have more glide compared to premium plastic. As you and others said above, technique is the key to getting it to fly longer. If you haven't already, read through some of the stickies in the technique section.

sqorbit said:
I am using the DX for the Avair so getting a new Avair in different plastic is on my to do list now.
No it isn't. DX is exactly the plastic you want for practicing clean throws.

jubuttib said:
No it isn't. DX is exactly the plastic you want for practicing clean throws.

Listen to this person. I wish someone would've told me to hold back on the plastic when I started! It's fun to buy new discs, but resist this urge as much as possible. If anything, buy more DX Aviars and throw them off the tee, on the fairway, and for putts.

And just so it's clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't throw whatever you want or not buy discs you want, but when it comes to actually PRACTICING how to throw long and clean at this point you'll do yourself a favor by sticking with neutral to slightly understable baseline plastic discs.

Latest posts