• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest Played with No Aces?

For me, just look at my years playing and there's your answer.
I'm sure if I set out to get one I could, but unless I'm playing doubles, I'll usually take a safe bird over a risky ace. I'm sure if I keep that mindstate- I'll never get one:(

^Me too, I usually do not run at it and if I end up running at it then I most likely screwed up when I released.

For me, just look at my years playing and there's your answer.
I'm sure if I set out to get one I could, but unless I'm playing doubles, I'll usually take a safe bird over a risky ace. I'm sure if I keep that mindstate- I'll never get one:(

Thats true craftsman, I have noticed guys with lots of aces gun for the basket all the time and have to pay constantly for over shooting the basket. The guy who plays it safe and lays it up for the easy putt will have a better score 99% of the time but he wont get very many aces either.

Now here's a thread I can relate to. Over 20 years and none yet. Keep in mind that for about 10 of those years I only played about once a year, plus or minus. I also started playing when I was just a kid, when it's hard to throw that far...

I love how people act like the shorts are evil and bad. If you dont play ADV or above chances are you are playing a round from the shorts every tournament.

That being said about aces...I don't get ate up over it but man when one looks like it is going in it sure does get exciting. I have seen several and they do look cool but I am not going to base my life on one.

Agreed^^. I play advanced and still play short tees in tourneys all the time. Next weekend tourney has short tees for adv

More on topic: 11 years without a ace

I haven't had one since Sept. 09. Took a year and a half. They come when you least expect them. Mine came in the middle of one of my worst rounds, I was still over par even with the ace.

agreed,i play in adv and were playing shorts and longs this weekend at a tourney. if you have to keep yourself from playing the shorts because you think itll make you a crappy player or not make you "good enough" then your only hurting yourself in the long run. sometimes the course is a completely different look from the other tee's.

as for the aces if it happens its great but if not ..o well,its not the end of the world. well said billnchristy

Exactly, after awhile I like to switch to shorts for a change of pace. Usually forces you to work on accuracy.

I played over 7 years before I hit an ace. The first 5 of those I played about 100 rounds total, then another 800+ rounds in the 2 years after that. Since that ace I've hit 2 other legitimate aces, and now it's been almost 6 months again.

After 10 years of playing I got my first Ace yesterday, the fun thing is that me and my buddy had been talking about a guy i know that had been playing for 20 years before he got his first one on the drive over to the course about an hour or early.

Still waiting!!

Going on 16 years! I play 150 rounds a year.....still nothing. Hit a tree about 25 feet in front of the tee,threw from my second shot NOTHING BUT CHAINS!! About 200 ft.,but still not an ace,DAMN! Same course,Sahm park in Indpls, different round. Hole 6,again hit tree off the tee goes right into #7 basket!!! ACE!!....IN THE WRONG BASKET! WTF!

I hit my first Nov. 9, 2008 -- ON MY B-DAY!!!

Hit basket a handfull of times since then, but dry none the less.

Had a bud that had been playing for about 6 without one, now he's hit like 4 in the last few months.

Might be a little off topic, but then again maybe not. Do the Aces that are counted, are they from practice/recreational games or during tournament/leagues? Since I will be playing my firs tourney tomorrow, I don't forsee myself hitting an Ace, but just incase, I did enter the Ace Pot. Because someone here advised me to do so due to the fact, it would suck to hit one during tourney play, but not be entered into the ACE POT. In conclusion, do those of you that have not hit an Ace like myself, during tourney play, do you enter the Ace Pot?

if its that you dont wanna get a "cheap" ace from the shorts then play with mids and putters on the shorts. itll make the ace just as deserved as if you did it with a driver on the longer tees. besides...whats "lowering " yourself have to do with short tees? are you too good to play shorts?

Certianly not too good for the shorts. Anybody on here that I have played with can agree that I am completely mediocre. On a good day. I just don't see where playing the easiest layout available helps me get better. Getting an ace on a wooded 160' hole certainly isn't easy, but by playing the 280' wooded hole or the 600' hole I am forced to take more shots and get experience in more situations than I would if I just played pitch and putt holes all day. I've played shorts a few times when I have played multiple round days, but I just have the mindset that I would rather slowly improve my game, than rack up some meaningless stat.

And I wasn't denegrating the short tees, I'm just not going to play them all the time so I can put and ACE in my signature. I'll play them if I am short on time or on talent, and the course is too much for me. Like next time I play Renny. I should have played the shorts the first time I was there. Live and learn I guess.

I played my first round in 1988 or 89, somewhere in there. I started playing regularly in '95. So depending on where you count my "start time" I'm 15 to 22 years in without an Ace. I never think about it. I never think "I'm gunning for the Ace" on the tee. I'm not aiming for the basket, I'm aiming for a spot short of the basket to land for my putt even on short holes. If I hit chains off the tee I've screwed up and gone long. I suppose one day one of those bad shots will stick and I'll have an Ace. I doubt that it will significantly alter the quality of my life.