• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Longest, straightest, flying discs?

My GStar Valkyrie gets very long straight flights. Not just straight laterally but vertically too. The lower glide on Valkyries keeps it from lifting too high from the point of release and the stability of it keeps it from flipping. When released on a hyzer it always will finish with a subtle hyzer.

For <300' I would say Anode, with a flat release. They just want to push straight ahead (I believe in gyro on these), but I do have to throw them really hard to get them 300'. For an easier straight 300+ I'd say Comet, but it needs a slight hyzer flip. I have put them 350+ from a slight hyzer.

For fairways I'd go mellow Teebird (mellow star, Gstar), on a flat or slight hyzer release. Very easy 350' straight with a touch of fade...my best is 380-400' on the same line. I'm sure they are capable of more than that from bigger arms. All of these discs have the least horizontal movement needed to get these distances, for me, and I feel like they are not distance capped at all (bigger arms can throw them farther and farther).

I have never heard anyone describe a Justice as having a straight flight before.

Ya, powered flat release kept low will be straight.. for the fade to actually move it left in late flight it would have to have something more than a negative 5 glide. An actual brick would probably have more carry. I used it for this type of shot on occasion before I gladly swapped a MOAB into the stupid overstable mid spot. Usually I throw a Pure for 75-250 straight shots like a normal person.

Other than that, the Justice is great at extreme angle flex shots, which seems to be why pros carry it, but I'm not sponsored by trilogy so I can Viper/MOAB like they would if they could. :)

Ya, powered flat release kept low will be straight.. for the fade to actually move it left in late flight it would have to have something more than a negative 5 glide. An actual brick would probably have more carry. I used it for this type of shot on occasion before I gladly swapped a MOAB into the stupid overstable mid spot. Usually I throw a Pure for 75-250 straight shots like a normal person.

Other than that, the Justice is great at extreme angle flex shots, which seems to be why pros carry it, but I'm not sponsored by trilogy so I can Viper/MOAB like they would if they could. :)

Perhaps. But when OP asks for long, straight flight, Justice doesn't crack top 100 of possible disc choices.

More power to you.

Wraith for me. But it's what you can throw staight and far.
Fieldwork is the answer.. find your favorite straight driver with practice. What kind of speed and stability you need changes as you improve.

For a while for me it was a midrange because I couldn't hyper flip well. Dx rocs go sooooo far!
Then I was tossing road runners on flip lines, but now I always add turn to them up. I have more power which sort of explains it. Now i also thinkg my form is a bit off and I'm adding too much flat/any which explains why a more stable distance disc is working well.

So wraith.

My mids for this are an extremely beat up AR Nebula and a Lucid Evidence (drifts right a bit if I really rip it). Squalls are also a good look. Ions are dope and sneaky long too.

My favorite drivers for this are Heat and Sword. I don't usually reach for a driver for dead straight shots b/c it ain't really a driver's bailiwick but those work great on a slight hyzer flip.

The key to throwing far and straight is the hyzer flip. A Tern can be thrown 450 on a frozen rope if you release it at the proper angles. If I need a long straight throw I have a lot of success throwing a C FD.

Fun round: hyzer flip a Tern
Safe play: hyzer flip an Escape or just throw a Comet

The key to throwing far and straight is the hyzer flip. A Tern can be thrown 450 on a frozen rope if you release it at the proper angles. If I need a long straight throw I have a lot of success throwing a C FD.

Absolutely. It's all about doing field work and trying to find that disc that fits your power level and style that will flip to flat and stay flat. For me, the hatchet, Maul or air Saint come to mind. But I don't throw backhand all that far so of course YMMV. Longer forehand shots for me that end up straight are usually some sort of baby flex line with something like a sword or a Villain.

Perhaps. But when OP asks for long, straight flight, Justice doesn't crack top 100 of possible disc choices.

More power to you.

good point. That's probably why I prefaced the Justice comment with "Also, if you want a ranging straight mid..." and I why I didnt put it on the list of longest discs in their spots.

Also, Underworld and Roadrunner flipped are good.

Always depends on arm speed, spin and stuff.
For me my G-line MD3, Star Teebird and one of my Star Destroyers work perfect for laser shots for like 275/325/375ft ;)!
(Also used to throw a G* Mako3 but it's lately flippin' too much :))

Judges under 250, Ghosts out to 320, and Saint Pros on hyzer flip out to 360.

sPDs are very straight out to 400+ if you have the power. pPDs need a hyzer flip shot but can get out there too.

Last edited:

Agreed, although I would add with drivers it's also height control. Most drivers (especially distance drivers) will fade out if you give them the height to do so. Your Tern example is definitely true (I've seen Nikko do it in tournament vids multiple times). However, if you give a Tern too much height it will definitely fade out so you have to keep it fairly low for those laser beam line drive shots. This tends to be less of a concern with putters and mids. With an understable or beat in mid, you can generally throw it much highter on a straight line to achieve more distance without it fading out. I feel like there's a lot of skill to achieving this shot (and ranging it); it's definitely not just "pick an understable disc and hyzer flip it" although that might be the first step.

For me I get about hyserflip 370 feet with my Westside VIP Sword with a predictable fade with a slight headwind.
Also changed my form this summer which have taken me closer and closer to the 400 feet marker. :D