• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for a fairway driver. Need some advice.

bsammons

Eagle Member
What's up folks.
My bag is completely set right now, just need some backups and, you guessed it, a fairway driver. I've got:
Scale/serpent for approaches
Proxy/envy for drives
Beat to a pulp axis for slightly US shots and vector for slightly OS shots
Lightweight Resistor (flies like a fresh TB win less glide. Super dependable.)
Motion
Photons
Some other disc that has yet to be determined but for all our D... not in question.
So I've got all my shots covered except for line shaping in the woods past about 345-350 (that's how far I trust my ability to put my mids on any line). I'm looking for something around the speed 7-8 range that starts out pretty much dead straight-stable and can be worked into eventually being slightly US. I've tried an Escape and while it is almost exactly what I want (can be hyzer-flipped to straight or mashed and flipped over to ~385 foot turnover) it is a bit too long for what I'm looking for. I'm thinking a River but I'm unsure how I'd like the dome, as most Rivers I've felt have massive pop tops (only been 3-4 that I've felt... maybe these are oddities?). Also thinking of an FD as in comes in two noticeably different stabilities (S- and C-line) but I don't know how domey/stable/long they are. Any suggestions? Thanks guys

FD, my preference is the G-line plastic but C-Line & S-Line are all good too!
Easy to control for straight, hyzer, and turnover shots....sneaky long w/ great glide and predictable for most shot shaping.

Fd is great. However the typical innova/discmania downfall...finding the "preferred run" is so laborious.

Another could be a champ or star tb, a g star tb, and a dx tb. Which are for different stability and beat in paces.

Or you could throw a volt (which is already in your sig) ??????

Amber Ptero is the most neutral flying fairway I have thrown. Will hold an anny or a small hyzer but mostly (for me) dead straight on a flat release out 350 or so, so I assume it would hyzer-flip nicely at the range you are looking at.

Fd is great. However the typical innova/discmania downfall...finding the "preferred run" is so laborious.

Another could be a champ or star tb, a g star tb, and a dx tb. Which are for different stability and beat in paces.

Or you could throw a volt (which is already in your sig) ??????

May try out a star TB and a star FD and see what happens. Also, I haven't changed my sig but I lost that beloved volt (screw my life) which flew like 8/5/-.5/.5 and was my primary line shaper... rip... which is part of the reason my bag has changed so much recently.
how does a max weight star TB and a max weight s-line FD sound for straight ish and understable ish? I feel like they may compliment well. Not looking for very US, just a little US. I think leopard may be a little too US but haven't thrown one in a hot minute so I may just be dreaming.

Fd is great. However the typical innova/discmania downfall...finding the "preferred run" is so laborious

true with a lot of innova/discmania

but....c line (champion plastic) fd are surprisingly consistent throughout the different runs. 1-6th runs all have that in between leopard and teebird + glide flight.

only the 2nd run c fd are different (overstable glidey teebird flight). but the 2nd runs are so different in feel and flight it's easy to differentiate). bubbles in rim, flatter, very stiff and opaque.

May try out a star TB and a star FD and see what happens. Also, I haven't changed my sig but I lost that beloved volt (screw my life) which flew like 8/5/-.5/.5 and was my primary line shaper... rip... which is part of the reason my bag has changed so much recently.
how does a max weight star TB and a max weight s-line FD sound for straight ish and understable ish? I feel like they may compliment well. Not looking for very US, just a little US. I think leopard may be a little too US but haven't thrown one in a hot minute so I may just be dreaming.

Why not grab a volt in the plastic you threw before and a fizz volt?

Stalker comes to mind. It's definitely straighter than a Teebird out of the box.

You just described a Stag, a lot like an Eacape, but a tick more stable and not quite as long.

You just described a Stag, a lot like an Eacape, but a tick more stable and not quite as long.

How do stags compare in VIP vs Tournament plastics? And when they beat in do they tend to lose fade before HSS or vice versa? Didn't consider that but it seems like a viable option now that you mention it

Stalker comes to mind. It's definitely straighter than a Teebird out of the box.

:thmbup:

I don't understand why the Stalker isn't in more bags. So reliable for stable/straight fairway drives. Goes far and can be powered down.

How do stags compare in VIP vs Tournament plastics? And when they beat in do they tend to lose fade before HSS or vice versa? Didn't consider that but it seems like a viable option now that you mention it

VIP starts just a tick more OS and seasons slowly, I have had one freak that was a little more flippy out of the box. The TP beats into a slight turnover disc but it takes a while. They will lose their HSS before the LSS but they both leave eventually. I have one recycled one that is the perfect Hyzerflip to slight fade disc, and they can be ranged or used on more of an angle for shorter shots.

What, no one has mentioned the S-Line FD? ;)

Also, the Star TL, and the Legacy Patriot might be what you are seeking.

Saint pro. Perfect for hyzers new, beats in to a great workhorse fairway.

Or a teebird. Teebirds are cool too. But everybody throws teebirds...

Amber Ptero is the most neutral flying fairway I have thrown. Will hold an anny or a small hyzer but mostly (for me) dead straight on a flat release out 350 or so, so I assume it would hyzer-flip nicely at the range you are looking at.

Me too, except replace 350 with 275.

:thmbup:

I don't understand why the Stalker isn't in more bags. So reliable for stable/straight fairway drives. Goes far and can be powered down.

I still have my first stalker ever. One of the first discs I bought. It was the fairway that I learned fh and bh on. Literally was a longer buzz. I wish discs had mile counters on them because that one would content for the most miles thrown with any disc I currently own.

Three discs come to mind:

FD - maybe a C-line for a little more initial stability, personally I love throwing the S-lines.

A G-star TL3 - great disc out of the box, very straight and very workable

Z Undertaker - another great disc, like a slightly longer Stalker, or a slightly shorter Escape.

A Frost River might fit the bill. The Frost Rivers are a full tick more stable out of the box than the Opto. Most of the Frost Rivers are also not pop tops. They have a mild dome. This could be an option. I know what you mean about the Escape being about perfect for what you want but maybe a bit too long. A Pinnacle Patriot can fit this spot well too. They start out fairly nuetral and are pretty easy to range on straight lines because they don't have crazy glide.

Who am I kidding though. Moose had it right. You'll be able to conver most of your lines with a VIP Stag. The problem with discs like the River and Patriot, is that you sort of need a more OS disc to compliment it. At your power, you should be able to put a Stag on any line you want.

Latest posts