• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for a fairway driver. Need some advice.

Another vote for the Frost River. They start out Stable but wears slowly into an extremely controllable very glidey FD workhorse. If you want it more stable the Rival is such a great disc I barely feel the world needs the new River Pro.

If you want an faster disc the Frost Saint or beat in Saint Pro (Gold ages faster but Moonshine is least OS out of the box) is amazing discs . US enough for long turnovers but stable enough for shorter OS shots. Patriot should also be very close.

Frost River and beat to flippy Saint Pro are my go-to FD's my both the only disc that hit metall from the tee for me.

Another vote for the Frost River. They start out Stable but wears slowly into an extremely controllable very glidey FD workhorse. If you want it more stable the Rival is such a great disc I barely feel the world needs the new River Pro.

If you want an faster disc the Frost Saint or beat in Saint Pro (Gold ages faster but Moonshine is least OS out of the box) is amazing discs . US enough for long turnovers but stable enough for shorter OS shots. Patriot should also be very close.

Frost River and beat to flippy Saint Pro are my go-to FD's my both the only disc that hit metall from the tee for me.

Could you please stop calling fairway drivers for FDs? There's already a disc named the 'fd' thx

I do love the FD. I typically bag 3-4. 2x S-Line for hyzerflip, straight, and turn over shots, 1x C-Line or Metalflake for straight to hyzer shots, and sometimes a G-Line for easy hyzerflips, very understable sky anny and roller shots. However, the Kastaplast Falk has all but permanently kicked the G-Line out of my bag.

The S-Line FD is one of my most thrown woods discs. It feels and flies like a seasoned Teebird off the shelf and beats into a one of the highest glide, easiest throwing fairways I've held in 14 years. I've never had one get so beat that it turns and burns, but my oldest S-FDs definitely get a bit flippy. Granted, I don't have Eagle armspeed - I max out around 400' so bigger arms may well get more understable results. What I can definitively tell you is the the FD is a very comfortable and effortless accurate driver that is great in the woods without worry of too strong of a finish fading out into the scruff.

My 2¢.

Go with Legacy discs.

Patriot, Rival, Phenom and Bandit are all great fairway drivers.

Patriot is similar to a Leopard
Rival is similar to a teebird
Phenom is similar to a tl/thunderbird
Bandit is similar to a valkyrie

The Eagle-L would also fit the mold here. I have yet to see a domey one in champion plastic and they all start out pretty much dead straight with a soft finish and they can be worked into a slighty understable disc and eventually into an understable disc.

Another vote for the C-Line FD

Limiting it to what I've actually thrown:
Teebird
Crave
River Pro

The Eagle-L would also fit the mold here. I have yet to see a domey one in champion plastic and they all start out pretty much dead straight with a soft finish and they can be worked into a slighty understable disc and eventually into an understable disc.

Another vote for the C-Line FD

I had a nice domey Champ Eagle-L that I traded away. Wish I still had that disc but FDs glide better and are straighter.

I throw my Escapes about the same as the OP, just for reference. I would recommend a 166-169 Rival for the flight and distance you are looking for. I prefer Pinnacle plastic myself, but I am sure Icon will work fine if you prefer that type plastic. It may take a while to get to the understable point you are looking for, but they start out exactly like you say you want, little to no turn with a very mild fade. In Pinnacle, the plastic is either a little gummy or a bit stiff. The gummy ones seem to have a little more dome and are slightly less stable. The stiff ones tend to mold up flat and more stable. And although I have a few exceptions, the lighter weights tend to be the gummier ones where heavier tend to be the stiff ones.

Best workhorse fairway I have thrown, and I have tried plenty. And as someone else said, Pinnacle Patriots are awesome too. I have only thrown a couple, but they start out stable enough to not flip too much but you can put them on such great lines out of the box.

Fd is great. However the typical innova/discmania downfall...finding the "preferred run" is so laborious.

Another could be a champ or star tb, a g star tb, and a dx tb. Which are for different stability and beat in paces.

Or you could throw a volt (which is already in your sig) ??????

FDs have been pretty close other than 2nd and 3rd runs coming out a little different. Its such a spectacular mold its hard to go wrong with any of them.
Also discmania is good about helping identify the runs and the differences. Grab a current run S or C line. Its truely one of the only discs I think works great in big and small arm bags.

FDs have been pretty close other than 2nd and 3rd runs coming out a little different. Its such a spectacular mold its hard to go wrong with any of them.
Also discmania is good about helping identify the runs and the differences. Grab a current run S or C line. Its truely one of the only discs I think works great in big and small arm bags.

Yeah which is dope. I really wish more companies identified the runs.

I have tried MANY fairways looking for this exact description so I feel my advice would be good

MAny options really

Prodigy F5
Discmania FD
MVP Volt
Legacy Rival

Differences: F5 longer smoother turn with decent fade, FD lots of glide and can turn smoothly I prefer it C-Line max weight, goes a long way, Volt-Im new to it but its to me what I was looking forlong straight flight small turn, nice hookup in the end. Rival similar to the FD but less glide.
If I had to choose. MVP NEUTRON VOLT around 171-174g ;)

Also a Discraft Stalker is a good option. Therse so many. Innova TL , Leopard3, but my picks: FD or Volt. I have a few F5's that were nice too but ive also had an F5 that was stupid flippy and others that were pretty stable. I got lucky with my order and have like 3 $ F5's by prodigy. I still think im liking the Volt the best haha and I only used it 1 round so far

Why not just keep it simple and get a Leopard? Maybe an Archangel....they have XT Archangels at the Innova factory store right now that are sweet.
Need a little more speed, use a Valk...

Latest posts