• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for advice to develop better form

Think your standstill shows issue the best. Your backswing has zero shift of your center in any direction, you are just turning back without any shifting. Note how much deeper I shift back inside my posture and stay braced deeper inside posture thru the release.

Thank you, will work on elephant stride/standstill today.

Question:
Did some riding the bull today in front of mirror, with a closer stride I could feel my hips rock and extend left and right more and shift the body like in the prett move. Is this they key component of that drill and should I look for that feel in both the backswing and in the brace?
1. You look like you are doing a little floaty dance back and forth, instead of krumping harder into the ground back and forth. Double Crush the Can. Might be hard to do this in socks. Need more grip.

2. Start in a little wider stance and try to keep your toes in place while your heels move. If you shift hard enough the foot might get pulled off the ground. The trailing foot should roll inward more as your shift to keep leveraging the ground.

3. You want to shift from behind like going into a hockey stop or ski turn/slalom, so that you are turning back away from the shift direction, instead of turning same direction. Your butt should turn more toward target and move deeper behind your heels.

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 12.56.59 AM copy.png

Ewalk - note how far over your toes you are leaning and you have already turned all the way back to the top of the backswing well before the plant. You are also stepping targetward instead of perpendicular to target. Note how centered and balanced and neutral I am so that I can keep turning back later into the plant and top of backswing.
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 1.45.22 AM.png

Your standstill vid also shows you are turning back before you shift back. You never look at the target before you start backswing, so your head is always looking back away. Address with arm/disc and eyes on target and keep your eyes on the disc going into backswing.

This is another way to drill the motion with narrower stance at 5m30s.

Stand up on front leg at address. Your front knee is too bent and rear foot still has a lot of pressure on it.

Watch how your right knee remains bent while mine remains straight shifting/falling back into backswing.
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 5.29.35 PM.png

Looks a little better, but you start with weight already on the rear foot instead of standing completely on front foot.

Here are some new stuff, if you'd rather like me to narrow down my focus please let me know what you'd like me to focus on and what camera view is preferred. About 2-3 months left of off-season practice now and it would mean a lot to me to get my posture and braced tilt correctly before the new season. Appreciate your on going help SW22.

Forehand breakthrough today!
Tried windmilling, focus on high and long swing using gravity, super loose.

-What I found interesting, the throws that felt kinda weird/bad/new were the best.
-getting more lean and disc inside posture seemed like getting me more mph and a more powerful windmill (feeling gravity assisting) , the ones grip locking left was usually very fast.
- using windmill = free easy speed, just gotta be loose and time it right

I got a 67 mph throw not only trying to throw hard, was focusing on getting the timing right, I was stunned that it broke my prior PR with about 4 mph. I expected it to be a 60 mph practice throw!

I managed to recreate a 66 mph throw shortly after on video.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpeg
    IMG_0647.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 0
Your shoulder/s are barely moving in your walk and you start swinging forward before you step. Step then swing.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 2.18.00 AM.png

I don't think you are gripping the hammer properly, all your practice swings are hitting the nail with the side of the hammer instead of the head.
Note how my head is centered in my stance and the hammer is going around my center on plane like Olympic Hammer Throw.
Note how your head is leaning over toward the hammer instead of counter leveraging against it.
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 2.32.44 AM.png

one arm hammer thrower copy.png

Hammer swing looks much better. Try with a bigger/heavier hammer.

Ewalk, you still swinging forward too early on early steps, was a little better on last step, but you are stepping too far north-south on last two steps instead of continuing normal width steps perpendicular east-west.

Thanks, I feel like I'm starting to get the feel for the posture in those drills, feels like a stronger foundation and that knee bend is getting better.

I also experimented with a windmill drill. I basically swang the disc with my legs and also tried to buttwipe while swinging the disc very loose. It felt extremely fast, and I noticed that I got very stacked on my front leg, shoulders more closed at release more like GG style (off arm more anchored behind) and perhaps a stronger brace, it felt very much like throwing a hammer. I'm curious what you think about it, because for my eyes it looks like I my form changed up a lot by doing it.

Looks like you are tipping over and trying to throw it down into the ground.
Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 4.44.05 AM.png

Hammer swing looks much better. Try with a bigger/heavier hammer.

Ewalk, you still swinging forward too early on early steps, was a little better on last step, but you are stepping too far north-south on last two steps instead of continuing normal width steps perpendicular east-west.

I have a 3 kg dumbell i can throw?

Meanwhile I tried swinging a 8 kg kettlebell, what I like with heavier weight is that it feels uncomfortable as soon as my posture get too much towards my toes, so really force that inside swing path and strong posture.

Kettlebell

Working on posture and experimentation with wider stride.

After working on concepts from the tilted spiral video again, against the right side, 30% weight anchored on plant foot etc….

My brace looks different here, more extended and I get more of that half circle shape - is it getting better?

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 0
1. Stance - Put rear ball of foot inline with front ankle. Note how everything in my swing is centered on the lead ankle and pivots fluidly.

2. Swing - You are barely swinging the kettlebell. The handle of the kbell should be vertical on the top of forward and back swings with thumb up/palm vertical. Swing up over your head, you barely swing up to your navel. You should feel how you have to change your tilt on the hit side to reverse the swing and chin moves ahead of the nose.

3. Rear hand - Put on rear thigh.

Side camera view will help.

I would avoid the x-step for a bit. You are putting yourself into weird positions.

This is a 15lbs kettlebell.
Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 9.56.09 PM copy.png

Heres a few throws from today, I'll get to the kettleswinging later. I don't mind skipping the x-step for a bit - what weird positions am I getting into?