• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for an out of the box stable-understable driver

Pwingles

* Ace Member *
At the moment I am using a combination of rocs for shots 200-300 ft, i have all my shots covered for that distance and shorter for the most part.

I am looking for a stable to understable driver to compliment my PD's. I have 5 PD's in the bag currently, 3 S, 1P, 1C.
I dont really need 5, ive been trying to beat my 2 new S's in at the same rate to go along with my older S which is currently perfect. The P will hold a turn, but either flexes out or turns into a roller too often for my liking.

I am lacking a disc that will hold a right turn without serious OAT (RHBH) for the length I am needing, which is from about 275-350. I am not looking for a huge speed gap id say same speed or down to i guess 8-9 on Innovas scale.

I have tried Rivers, theyre too LSS (maybe try a lighter one?) and i find you have to throw them sometimes too hard and they become unpredictable.
I would normally use Leo's, but the best Leo's are beat leos and im tired of having to beat them in. Also leos are a little unpredictable at this range.

Ive toyed with the idea of putting Teebirds back in the back for this spot, but again they need to be beaten. I have some currently but that would be more of a bandaid.

Ideas so far are

Roadrunner
Sidewinder
Sols
Stalker
TL (slower than i want really, and at this length less predictable than a leo)
TD
Assassin
Avenger SS
Valk
JLS (not sure but i think this is slower than i want)

Valerie - comes in every permutation of plastic, one of the myriad versions will work

of course I mean Valkyrie

niuvalleycane said:
Valerie - comes in every permutation of plastic, one of the myriad versions will work

of course I mean Valkyrie
I haven't thrown Valkyries in a while, but I still think you'd have to beat them in to get a true understable driver that won't flex out. However, a DX Valk should beat in pretty quick.

I think a lighter Roadrunner would work for what you're after. Sidewinder is more LSS and tends to flex out more than a RR. You may also want to try a lighter Vision: similar to a Valk but with less LSS.

I don't have to much experience with the others on your list but there may be others that work.

XLs are really sweet. The Z XLs are my favorite, but I haven't tried any others. An X might turn over nicely after a few thwacks into a tree.

With what little bit you mentioned about your power, you seem to throw about the same level as me.

I have a Roadrunner that i can put on any line I want, 300 foot straight tunnel shots, or 300 foot anny shots that glide right and look pretty. So that gets my vote.

JLS is money for me on turnovers and very controllable. It goes crazy far on annys with a big tailwind. I use it for turnovers in the 300-375 range, it can be thrown hard.

I've been using pro Leopards for exactly this purpose (complementing a bunch of PDs). They're really predictable and controllable for an understable disc. New they're good for a lot of medium-stable shots or longer hyzer-flips. Occasionally I wish they were a bit longer, but a worn P-PD plays this role fine at Max power.

Nick M said:
JLS is money for me on turnovers and very controllable. It goes crazy far on annys with a big tailwind. I use it for turnovers in the 300-375 range, it can be thrown hard.
I can second that suggestion. Stephan Mueller 4498 of Switzerland plays a two driver bag: LF and JLS. He's sick with those two, 1000+ rated last time I checked. I can easily see the pairing with the PD working just as well. The JLS is good for understable duty over a wide range of distances. It's fast.

vulcans are nice, even though they are star, my first one beat in a couple weeks, from there it was perfect, get ur hands on a vulcan if you can, i dont think you will be disappointed

images

friends dont let other friends throw a vulcan

I have found Sidewinders to be squirrely. Not just flippy, but hard to control. Roadrunners have great glide and are super easy to throw. At your level of power you would need a beat Valk in any kind of premium plastic for such a thing. What about an L64 Vision?

The Orion ls would also fill that gap. The 1.3 sols is sweet out of the box and with a little tree love the qols has become my favorite. The disc has glide that will put it out with large rimmed discs but feels like a fairway driver in your hand.

Also a little bit faster than you mentioned, but I've been digging this GL Flow lately. Very controllable and has plenty of HSS even without a ton of snap

I'm really liking the TD in that slot lately. It complements my PD's perfectly. I've taken the P PDs out since I've added the TD's and it works great. Only two driver molds I'm carrying at the moment and I never feel that I don't have the right tool for the job.

The TD is way more stable than it's name would have you believe. You would have to beat one in. Anyway the bad news is that any disc that is understable(ish) out of the box is going to be squirrelly and harder to control. I would just recommend finding a fairly good controllable stable disc and beating a few in.

Or if you don't really want to do that, get a roadrunner and learn to control it.

@ frank

I got a RR in a players pack this weekend, its pretty much perfect for what I wanted so far, i also got some other discs via trade and prizes from the tourney to compete with the slot

SOLS, champ TL, RR, Rush TD in S.

Youre right about the TD, IMO, its more stable out of the box than a max weight sidewinder. I was expecting a slightly more stable RR TBH.

SOLS is too stable, im looking for a control disc and i have to throw it on a weird angle and really hard to get the turn i want and it feels terrible to throw like that.

Champ TL was wayyyyy beefier than i thought.

So for now ive settled on the RR for shots in a tunnel longer than my roc can handle, or shots requiring a straight finish or minimal fade.

For everything else I think my PD and Preds can handle it.