• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for glideless, straight flying, approach disc.

jnecessary

Double Eagle Member
This blog (https://infinitediscs.com/blog/what-do-you-want-in-a-disc/) got me thinking, I posted there, but thought I might get more of a response here.

If I said, I want a "putter" or approach disc that flies straight under power, minimal turn, minimal fade, and has nearly negative glide characteristics, what would you recommend?

I'm thinking of a disc that when thrown as if you were throwing a 300-310' Roc/Buzzz/Mid shot, would only fly about 200'.

For me, all the putters I've tried for driving (not many), fly quite similar to a midrange, if only 30' shorter, maybe a bit more. I want something I can throw with full commitment, and only have it fly 200' for so. Seems it would be an amazing approach option, like a pitching wedge.

I understand using touch and finesse, but does what I'm asking for even exist? I think I'm looking for a disc that is limited in range by glide, not overstability. I've tried a Zone and that is the closest I've found, but it is way more overstable that what I'm trying to describe.

Thanks y'all. Hoping to hear more, but the Serpent seems like a good one to try. Another way to think of it...I want a Wizard, that doesn't want to fly far, but wants to fly like a Wizard otherwise.

The Kastaplast Berg may be what you're looking for. It's a glideless oddity. It flies straight, but not far, then falls to the earth like it's driven by a like driver.

The Sperpent, and Berg are great suggestions. The Salient Lockjaw on the Liquid Metal plastic does this very well also, but the company is out of business and I think only 500 were made so probably. It a good idea to go there.

Thanks y'all. Hoping to hear more, but the Serpent seems like a good one to try. Another way to think of it...I want a Wizard, that doesn't want to fly far, but wants to fly like a Wizard otherwise.

Well, the Scale is a Wizard OS with NO glide. But they start pretty OS.

Oh baby are you looking fora Serpent. I actually dont bag them because I have beaten in enough Scales by now, but the Serpent is very unique in what it does. Resists turn, but has little to no fade. Beadless with a comfortable thumbtrack on top. Very thin flight plate. Its not totally glidless but its damn close.

Well, the Scale is a Wizard OS with NO glide. But they start pretty OS.

Accurate. Like I said above, I have beaten in enough Scales (Fossil Fuel seasons nicely and holds the 'sweet spot' better than Fossil) to cover the Serpent role. I love the Scale because I also putt with Wizards. Honestly either one works, and they arent overly pricey...just know you'll have to work the Scale in to where you want it.

I'm gonna take this a different direction. I guess I don't know some of the discs mentioned (in particular the Serpent, which looks tempting), but my impression is most they don't fly straight since they're pretty overstable.

...so, I'd recommend a heavy Polecat. It doesn't fit the "glideless" description per se, but it also matches what you were saying about not wanting to go as far as your mids. It definitely goes straight, and it's a nice approach disc. Your form had better be smooth, though, as it's fairly sensitive to OAT. I know what you mean when you say that some putters go as far as mids (I'm looking at you, Zone & Pure), but the Polecat is definitely not that kind of disc.

Last edited:
I am surprised no one has mentioned a non-premium Rhyno. For people that can actually throw (not me), the Rhyno seems to be good at going straight and not gliding.

I am surprised no one has mentioned a non-premium Rhyno. For people that can actually throw (not me), the Rhyno seems to be good at going straight and not gliding.
This is what I would use.

This is the easiest for me to grab locally. Polecat as well but I've held them and a bit too lid-like for me. I tried an r-pro rhyno when they came out bit it was quickly squirrelly and untrustworthy. Will have to see about something in DC I suppose.

Probably going to try these RDG recommendations as well, crazy amount of support for a brand I've never heard of.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I use a Lat 64 Spike (4,2,-1,2) for putting. Switched from a Judge, which was too glidey. I don't throw it, except for putting, but if you got it in Hard plastic, it might make a decent thrower. Thumb pads though, so buyer beware. I like them but weird to some people. For the distance you listed, I usually power my Comet down a little; I don't really throw putters.

Latest posts