• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for glideless, straight flying, approach disc.

Probably the only person here that would recommend this but in the line of gateway produced putters the Devilhawk is to me exactly what you are looking for.

I'm gonna take this a different direction. I guess I don't know some of the discs mentioned (in particular the Serpent, which looks tempting), but my impression is most they don't fly straight since they're pretty overstable.

...so, I'd recommend a heavy Polecat. It doesn't fit the "glideless" description per se, but it also matches what you were saying about not wanting to go as far as your mids. It definitely goes straight, and it's a nice approach disc. Your form had better be smooth, though, as it's fairly sensitive to OAT. I know what you mean when you say that some putters go as far as mids (I'm looking at you, Zone & Pure), but the Polecat is definitely not that kind of disc.

For what is worth, I get about 20 feet more out of the Polecat then the Serpent.

..."putter" or approach disc that flies straight under power, minimal turn, minimal fade, and has nearly negative glide characteristics...
I have to agree with the Birdie recommendations. I haven't tried everything but I have tried a lot.
The Birdie is fairly high speed stable and meets the criteria you outlined.

Thanks everyone for the discussion. I'm going to get some RDG seconds that are on sale online and look for a heavy birdie locally...will also keep my eyes peeled in used bins for puddle top Rhyno, but I'd rather avoid difficult to replace stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Serpent is straight, but I think it has more glide than you're looking for.

Thanks everyone for the discussion. I'm going to get some RDG seconds that are on sale online

I've thrown a lot of different Serpents and that's what I bag for this shot. The Blurple and Flesh colored ones I've thrown have had a mild dome and thus more glide. The least glidey runs I've thrown were White Fossils that were super stiff and board flat and Black Fossil Fuels that were a little bit softer and flat to almost sunken top.

I'm tempted to try the RDG Serpent, just to see what you uber DG geeks are talking about. I would like to try a straight putter with no glide, just to compare it to my new favorite: Classic Warden, which has quite a bit of glide.

Thanks y'all. Hoping to hear more, but the Serpent seems like a good one to try. Another way to think of it...I want a Wizard, that doesn't want to fly far, but wants to fly like a Wizard otherwise.

That's a great way to describe the Serpent.

From FactionDG.com
The Reptilian Disc Golf Serpent is a "Point & Shoot" disc - it is a stable flyer that features the Magic bottom. "2015 Disc of the Year - 9th Place" Flight Numbers: 2, 2, 0, 0

The Serpent will hold any line you throw it on and it fills a unique void in the bag. Few straight flying discs possess the Serpent's unique low glide, which makes for an easy to range flyer.

I've thrown a serpent, scale, and berg, and I think the berg has the least glide of the bunch and has a fade that's kind of between the serpent and scale. It just dies hilariously quickly, but without much movement in either direction. Not to mention Kastaplast's plastics are far superior to whatever gateway's flavor of the month happens to be.

Kastaplast's plastics are far superior to whatever gateway's flavor of the month happens to be.

They arent really that much better. More consistent maybe, but not superior. Gateway just has their own way of doing things. And platinum and diamond platinum are pretty sick.
Not too mention their sure grip select. The warriors they released in that plastic are sick as tits. Its like a gripper better version of KC Pro and seasons better too, imo. Im just lucky that its a short drive to the factory so I can see what crazyness they are churning out plus hear about whats comin out soon.

Last edited:
Isn't the Justice the opposite of "minimal fade"?

ya, I realize its a weird thing to say, but in practice the justice doesnt get left very much.

it has so little glide that it falls out of the air about the time the lss kicks in, so it actually doesnt fade very much at all in my experience. it also doesnt skip like most wicked lss discs because it dumps hard and doesnt stay flat when fading, even if you release it flat.

I've thrown a serpent, scale, and berg, and I think the berg has the least glide of the bunch and has a fade that's kind of between the serpent and scale. It just dies hilariously quickly, but without much movement in either direction. Not to mention Kastaplast's plastics are far superior to whatever gateway's flavor of the month happens to be.

Also note - the Scale and Serpent are Reptilian's (yes, done at Gateway) but Jamie strives for a level of consistency in the product - you can get them in Fossil or Fossil Fuel and there will be consistency - his discs aren't ran in the 'blend of the moment'........

Latest posts