• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for glideless, straight flying, approach disc.

I'm tempted to try the RDG Serpent, just to see what you uber DG geeks are talking about. I would like to try a straight putter with no glide, just to compare it to my new favorite: Classic Warden, which has quite a bit of glide.

If you are going to try one - they are on sale ($10 or $8 for a misprint) currently on the www.factiondg.com website. I'd say the Serpent would definitely fit the spot for a straight, no glide alternative to your Warden.

I ordered 2 each, scale and serpent misprints. Looking forward to trying them out!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I ordered 2 each, scale and serpent misprints. Looking forward to trying them out!

you will enjoy them . Let us know how it works out for you. I try to get people to try out discs that I find that are "oddities" and if they're REALLY good I want to spread the word. Serpent is one if them. Probably my favorite find of the year, next would be the axiom wrath and mvp atom .

Serpent to me is like a shorter atom. Serp 2/2/0/0.5 Atom 4/3/0/0.5 with wear they get like -0.5 turn

you will enjoy them . Let us know how it works out for you. I try to get people to try out discs that I find that are "oddities" and if they're REALLY good I want to spread the word. Serpent is one if them. Probably my favorite find of the year, next would be the axiom wrath and mvp atom .

Serpent to me is like a shorter atom. Serp 2/2/0/0.5 Atom 4/3/0/0.5 with wear they get like -0.5 turn
I'll report back! Don't play too much in the winter but I'll get out every week or two. Hoping one of them fits the bill. Never seen such an outpouring of support for a disc like this.

I'll report back! Don't play too much in the winter but I'll get out every week or two. Hoping one of them fits the bill. Never seen such an outpouring of support for a disc like this.

While I didn't stick with the Serpent, it is a great disc. It is good for appraoching and for putting, for the same reasons. It is slow and a line holder. Whether you like the Serpent or not, you are going to be exposed to some great plastic. The Faction guys have some great blends.

I actually just threw a Serpent back in the bag to replace my Nova. With the cleaner form I've developed in 2016, the Serpent flies just like a Nova with the glide scaled back. Makes for the PERFECT approach disc that will go dead straight and stick when it lands. It's not totally neutral, I'd still give it a 2/2/0/0.5, but my god does this disc hold your release. Plus, RDG has their stamp game on POINT! I miss the days when they'd release new and unique stamps every month or two. Their stamp designs are the reason that I have a stack of over 40 RDG discs... (besides the Scale being my favorite putter in 13 years of play)

If you want a really off the wall answer you could try the dimpled abomination of awesome that is the ching juju. Or the rattler which is like training wheels for old Frisbee players trying to get into disc golf.

If you are going to try one - they are on sale ($10 or $8 for a misprint) currently on the www.factiondg.com website. I'd say the Serpent would definitely fit the spot for a straight, no glide alternative to your Warden.

Cool gonna try that out.

Also have to give props to @timg for the notification feature, cuz I would not have seen this post or remembered to try this out without it.

You need a whale, I carry two, one for drives and one for aproach, nice and straight then just drops dead, same feel as a wizzard.

So far so good on these! Serpent might be perfect and the scale is nice and overstable. Only one round and half dozen throws but y'all turned me on to some nice plastic.

If I said, I want a "putter" or approach disc that flies straight under power, minimal turn, minimal fade, and has nearly negative glide characteristics, what would you recommend?

I'm thinking of a disc that when thrown as if you were throwing a 300-310' Roc/Buzzz/Mid shot, would only fly about 200'.

I'd like to have one of these too, but I don't think such a disc truly exists, or is even physically possible. You're going to have to put up with some fade- that's just the physics of it in my experience of throwing disc shaped objects for over 50 years. I've wasted plenty of money on discs I don't really need chasing some sort of holy grail of performance. Now I go with the closest disc I have and adjust my throw. Works better and saves a bunch of money.

Latest posts