• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for Ideas to Jazz Up League CTP's

just get rid of CTP's for weekly leagues. all it does it jack up the entry fee. there is really no need to have CTP's for weekly leagues. save that sort of stuff for legit tournaments.

just get rid of CTP's for weekly leagues. all it does it jack up the entry fee. there is really no need to have CTP's for weekly leagues. save that sort of stuff for legit tournaments.

Sorry, got to disagree. At Thursday night Sugaw Creek Am League part of the draw is multiple CTPs. The event puts up two, sponsor Alpine Ski Center puts up two, then players kick in with donations. Many events we have 11 or 12 quality CTPs, which greatly increases a player's chances of winning something for only a $5 entry, and frankly it's quite impressive to see when you walk up to register. Feedback is very good, and attendance is running 55-72 players a week this spring.

The (serious) ideas in here for prizes are great & I'm going to look into incorporating into my CTP prize giving.
However, the reason I even stumbled upon this thread is because I am looking for ideas to try to keep the same cast of characters from winning the CTPs prizes week in & week out.

I've had the idea of making a CTP card be solely for folks who haven't won any prizes all year or only folks with player ratings under 850 can sign the CTP card, etc.
Anybody have ideas along these lines?

That's a hard one. If someone is better, should they not have the chance to win. Shouldn't the lesser players want to get better so they can win?

I get the other side too. Hard to get people to show if they feel they can't compete or have a chance to win something.

Ya know, I hadn't really viewed it from that angle. Incentive to get better, makes sense.
However, the ones who win all the time are usually the ones who least need new plastic.

I totally get you, it's hard to give everyone an equal shot at different skill levels. Offer two ctps, a higher skill level and lower level. Do a ctp that's not a normal hole, short with guardian trees to level the field.

I like it when you have to make the putt for your CTP to count. Just pick a hole that's guarded really well or long enough that CTP is likely to still be a decent putt.

I agree with getting rid of CTPs. Especially when the CTPs pay only $5 or $10. That's small potatoes.

Not sure the CTPs necessarily jack up the entry fees, either. You can take the CTP prize money and move it to the general prize pool, right?

Instead of CTPs, I like a big ace pool that rolls over each week that it doesn't get hit. The idea of winning $500 I can put towards a new iMac is a lot more enticing than winning $5 I can put towards my next latte.

I do know that when the ace pool at my favorite weekly gets up to $400-$500, the players really come out of the woodwork, like moths around the flame.

scratch offs

I've heard to leagues that do scratch offs (either each person bring one and/or one person buy some and put them in based off # of buy-ins) and put them on CTP holes. Could do 1 on a few holes, a few on a few holes, or all on 1 hole. But then you not only win something, but could maybe win a lot more than just the CTP value.

Just some ideas, from a local weekly doubles league:

$5 goes to payout based on score
$1 goes to league
$1 goes to ace pool (optional)
$1 goes to 100% CTP (optional)
$1 goes to 50/50 CTP (optional)
$1 goes to merch CTP (optional)

So, to play the league it's a minimum of $6, and a max of $10. Most people just pay the $10.

The cash CTPs are each on one hole, the merch CTPS depend on how many players, I think for every 8 or so they add a merch CTP. For a busy league night around half the holes have a CTP. Makes for a lot of fun, rather than just being about score.

On top of that, the league makes enough $$ for it to be sustainable and the players have no problem with it.

My only suggestion is to make sure it's something everyone can use and/or enjoy. Players don't need beanies and hats that don't fit our heads or discs that are too fast for us to properly throw yet.

Maybe have a few different prizes for each different placing so that it caters to everyone from beginner to seasoned pro. Maybe also include for the winner, a refund of their entry fee.