• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for some advice on new discs

without knowing you and your style and admittedly not as knowledable as threeputt in this area, I would just say the eagle is a decent driver that is not hard to learn. Have you thought about sticking with the leopard and just going to Champ plastic?

without knowing you and your style and admittedly not as knowledable as threeputt in this area, I would just say the eagle is a decent driver that is not hard to learn. Have you thought about sticking with the leopard and just going to Champ plastic?

Yes, I actually mentioned (or meant to mention) that a few posts back. I like the Teebird/Leopard combo so far, and I do like the champion plastic on the TB. I was considering a Champion Leopard to use along with my Champion Teebird, and then I would also have a DX version of each for the water holes at my (yet to be played) actual home course. I also feel like I should have more than one midrange disc, as I feel like the Shark and Roc overlap so I will probably not carry the Shark anymore (unless I play the course with water).

What you may wish to do is try heavier weights. Don't go crazy, but those same discs, in a 167-168 range would help you with control. You could even consider a 170-172 putter weight and work on driving with it. After some adjustment and practice, the Leopard should go over 300+ no problem. Keep it simple, you don't need 20 discs.

But to answer your wind disc question, a Teebird would be a nice addition. It will handle some headwind (especially at your current distance) and become a staple main driver in your bag for some time.

I would stay away from very overstable discs right now. While they do handle the headwinds very well, they can also hide form/grip/release issues that will hurt you down the road. Focus on good form and distance and accuracy will come.

BTW, the Teebird-Leopard combination is a popular one...

I agree, stay away from the overstables

I got a chance to really throw my Valk a few times today and out of the 4 throws, 3 were over 275', and the 4th was right around 250'. I wasn't able to control the direction nearly as well as I can with the TB/Leo, so I think I'm going to pick up a Champion Leopard as long as I can expect it to fly like the DX version. My DX and Champion Teebirds were similar at first, but after 36 holes the Champ seems to be much better into the wind. How can I expect the flight of the Leopards to compare in Champion vs. a used DX?

I got a chance to really throw my Valk a few times today and out of the 4 throws, 3 were over 275', and the 4th was right around 250'. I wasn't able to control the direction nearly as well as I can with the TB/Leo, so I think I'm going to pick up a Champion Leopard as long as I can expect it to fly like the DX version. My DX and Champion Teebirds were similar at first, but after 36 holes the Champ seems to be much better into the wind. How can I expect the flight of the Leopards to compare in Champion vs. a used DX?
My understanding is that the Champ Leopards and DX Leopards aren't as similar as the Champ and DX Teebirds. The Champ Leopard will probably be noticably more HSS and LSS stable.

1. welcome to the site

2. I suggest whatever discs you decide, to check out the "marketplace" section of this forum. you can find great deals on new/slightly used plastic.

otherwise, my second option for purchasing plastic is
discgolfcenter.com . You get to pick weight/color of disc (which all sites don't let you) and they have free shipping.

Don't give up on the valk!!!!

it was my first driver @ 171 in DX and i still use it to this day.

It is a great disc, i suggest taking it out to a field and just letting it rip and wou will end up figuring it out and loving it.

for a RHBH throw you can get the valk to do a really nice 'S'

i love leopards as well, they are a great beginner disc.

I don't think he's giving up, he consistently threw the valk and added 25' to his drives.

The valk will S more to get distance, so I think you've got the right idea to keep the leopard in rotation for tighter lines (at least for where you're at right now).

As far as the valkyrie is concerned, check out discvalues.com, they have some first run pro valks that I think are awesome! I have a dx valk as well, but I tend to turn it over reguardless of the nose angle, but that pro flys flat and straight, and quickly became my go to driver.

Latest posts