• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for suggestions to move up in stability from Champion Tern 175g

adammc88

I've been throwing this for a while and it has been amazing. However, I started a work out regimen and began spending about 4 hours a week working strictly on my drives. Now my 175g Champion Terns are flipping on me even in tailwind. I am looking for something to move up to.

I have a 175g Champion Destroyer and it is too overstable for me. I have debated trying a 170 Destroyer. Also thought about the Trespass, but I don't know what plastic translates properly. I looked for a Champion Teedevil, but I think they only exist in blizzard.

Any suggestions to help me stop flipping on my drives is much appreciated. Thank you!

Try an echo star destroyer. They are a completely different animal from Star destroyers. 165 to 170 is a great sweet spot.

I have the same issue, love my Tern's for max distance but they're a little flippy. I've been throwing a 160g blizzard destroyer and it could be what you're looking for.

Gstar/pro, or maybe echo star Destroyer. Very different from champ. I have a domey Gstar that is my longest disc. Trespass is also in that stability range although I only have a throw or two on a Lucid one. I bet either Lucid or Fuzion is fine in that.

Plus I prefer the rim on either of those over the Tern.

Echo star plastic is quickly earning my respect as a long distance plastic. Slightly less stable than star plastic but still holds up well to a beating. I throw echo star wraiths for my hyzer flip and turn over shots and love em. Star plastic will be a bit less stable than champion, typically. Is the champ DS getting any flat flight out of it at all? Or just an instant fade. I've got at least 8 star destroyers ranging from beat in flippy to meaty goodness, you're local to me too, if you wanted to meet up somewhere and try them to see if you like any of them to help you decide.

I too am curious how far you are throwing terns. They will travel very far tracking without turning over, probably up to 430' with a new 175 champ tern.

Terns are a bit touchy on big power throws. Sometimes they flip up perfectly and fade late. Other times they flip all the way over and eat ground.

If you're overpowering a Tern I'd probably look at something like a Z Nuke. Something with a hair more stability, but not unmanageable.

For me I use a wraith if I need something more stable than the tern and want to stay with innova. The flow is nice from latitude as well.

I ended up getting a Lucid Trespass, Champion Wraith, and Echostar Destroyer. I love all of them. Dynamic Discs here in Carrollton, TX is pretty awesome. The guy that manages the shop let me take his version of these discs from his bag to try them out at a nearby course to make sure I liked them. Thanks for the help guys!

Are you releasing on a hyzer? At 400ft power a flat (or slightly anny) release is going to move to the right fairly quickly.

DD Carrollton is a sweet shop. There's a pizza place nearby, I think in the same shopping center, may be a Mr. Jims, I think the manager there is an old school disc golfer, still gets out and plays quite a bit, good guy.

Latest posts