• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for tournament reporting software

wilmheath

Have any clubs had software built for their website and might be willing to pass on the name of their developer so we can hire them for our website?

http://www.newhanoverdgc.com/scoreboard.php We have to do all of this by hand currently and I'm looking for someone that is able to do it via mysql/php. If you have any information feel free to reply here or send me a pm. Any help is appreciated.

I feel your pain. I used to do this via Excel spreadsheet, but we stopped doing point series because it wasn't drawing any additional interest.

Yeah, that's a pain. I have actually been throwing around the idea of creating something for this with PHP/MYSQL. I would be interested to get some of your thoughts on how you would want to interface with it.

Here is an e-mail I sent to someone else that was thinking about doing it:

"Disc golf reporting:

Problem: Currently we manually update our monthly results on this site here: http://www.newhanoverdgc.com/scoreboard.php It takes a long time to do manually

Solution: I would like to have a password protected backend where a user can log in to a secure website and post scores which are automatically updated on the home page.

How I envision it working:

When you log into the backend the first thing you do is select the month and year that you are updating and which league they are in(such as pro, am, rec, etc.) There is a pull down menu with all of the current users in it. You select the user that you want and you can add the results from the tournament. If the user is not in the database there will be a place to add a new user. A user would consist of just their name or nickname but would need to be a unique name.

When you post a user's score you would post the score for the first round, second round and payout if applicable. Once you submit all of the user's scores it would post them to the results for that specific month as you can see on the current scoreboard page. Click the January results for an example. You would take round 1 + round 2 for the total and then you award points based on a 20 point system. First place gets 20 all the way through 20th place which gets 1. 1 point is the least you can get. People that "Do Not Finish" or DNF as you see it on the website get the amount that the person in last place got divided by 2, rounded down. When there is a tie in points both people share the same amount of points and then the person with the next highest score gets the amount that he would of gotten regardless of a tie. You can look at some of the past months that were scored for some examples of ties and how they work.

After we submit the results for a specific league it would update the "points race". The points race shows how many points each player got every month and keeps a tally of their totals. We use the top 8 scores of the year for each person and rank them by their current total. We only do a points race for Pro and Amateur.

We would need a way to select which year to display on the website along with a way to display past year's tournaments. I really like the current layout and would like to keep that if possible.
"

I had an Excel spreadsheet I would update, and the save as a web page. I'd then open the page in Wordpad (I know, I know) and copy all the relevant data and post it to the website from there.

Spreadsheet methods will always be the easiest way to go. You could always design the spreadsheet to look like it does on the site and just screenshot it and just put an image of it on there or something.

spreadsheet

Not sure if you saw this but this spreadsheet performs the points allocation you mentioned and ranks them ... all per division. I included some test players to test and validate. I believe it performs as desired.

Download the sheet, newhanover.xlsx.

The sheet uploads to the DB but the DB does allocate points slightly different.

Not sure if you saw this but this spreadsheet performs the points allocation you mentioned and ranks them ... all per division. I included some test players to test and validate. I believe it performs as desired.

Download the sheet, newhanover.xlsx.

The sheet uploads to the DB but the DB does allocate points slightly different.

Wow, thanks I will try this out. I would still like a long term solution that automatically updates the site with formatting but this may hold us over for a bit.

Wow, thanks I will try this out. I would still like a long term solution that automatically updates the site with formatting but this may hold us over for a bit.

I'm looking at this on my Chromebook so it opens the Excel file in Google Sheets. Could this be done with Google Sheets and embed it in a website? With Google Drive documents you can set which users have edit access and set it so that anyone else could view it. The only problem would be if someone was viewing it while the edits were made, but they are live updates, so I'm not sure if it would be much of a problem.

It wouldn't be as pretty as a dedicated webpage that runs from a database, but it would be easier on the initial set up.

Spreadsheet

Small steps. I figure the xls sheet would at least make the calculation and ranking aspect easier.

Here's how it looks in the DB

Points vary due to the DB allocating 2 points for playing and extra point for 1st place. Hope to have a variable points allocation feature soon.

I've been tempted to write a PHP/SQL program to handle tracking bag tag leagues (where players could submit bag tag swaps), however I haven't yet found a club wanting to buy new tags (that would include website and tag ID number information) to use such a program yet. A PHP/SQL program to do league point tracking honestly wouldn't be too hard, either. Do you already have a server host that supports PHP, and has MySQL running? If so, I'm currently swamped with work, but in a few weeks I might be able to put something together. It would be simplistic, mind you.. I'm an amateur programmer, but I could probably put together something very functional.