• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to buy new shoes.

yankees23

Birdie Member
I am looking to buy some shoes. I have had two pairs of Merrells last me a year each. I want something more durable. What are your opinions?

I don't think you're going to find much more durable than Merrells. I've had mine for three years and they're still going strong.

It looks pretty durable to me. I have a lot of drag on both toes and heels and my shoes seem to wear out fast. So much so they start coming apart wear the bottom vibram sole meets the upper part of the shoe. I usually just use some shoe goo and put it back together. lol

I usually rock Keen's, they do alot for Disc Golf and I order direct from them and always tell them it is because of their DG sponsorship. Plus the covered toe box is NICE!
I used to wear Merrels, but as of late I am lucky to get 3 months out of them before they fall apart. Keen's I get almost 9 months out of.

I've looked at the FiveTen shoes as well. I wonder if their sole would be too grippy though, since they are first and foremost a climbing shoe company. And most of their "hiking" shoes are actually approach shoes. My friends who do climb though love their Five Ten shoes (they don't care for DG so hard to get an opinion from them), and say that they are super durable, climbing does put alot of strain on a pair of shoes.

I recently got a pair of vasques after I got tired of merrells wearing out on me too quickly. After a couple weeks they are still amazing. I guess time will tell if they're better than my merrells were.

the shoes you were born with are pretty durable...

i think my little pinky toe would rip off my foot if i were to go barefoot.

The ONLY shoe you will ever use once you try them are 5-10 AKA: Five Ten. I use the Impact high tops. They look like Vans on roids. The primary purpose for this shoe was downhill mountain biking. So they are very rigid at first, but once they break in. They are very comfy due to some very thick padding. It also has a a very thick toe cover. After 3yrs, I've yet to wear into the toe or have the sole pull away from the shoe. Mind you, I also have a walk up, not a run up :). Their Stealth rubber is as tacky as they come. Played up in WA and OR a few months back and it's like youre playing on a dry teepad. The tread pattern may not look like much, but I've yet to slip or fall due to terrain or weather. No shoe has even come close to these shoes (several models). I would say a distant second shoe to try are Garmonts. I have a pair of Sticky Lizard and they are pretty sweet to.

You should try the 5-10's. The impact high tops are great! 3 yrs and still looking good, but you are right about the soles. You might have issues with rubber teepads, but there are no courses around me that have them. Well, Napa does, but I'm not a fan of the course. So I stay away.

Oppps that last one was for Smyith. ^^^^

i want too, but i would need to try a pair on before i would and no one locally carries 5.10s in size 15. im not wiling to go through the hassle of returning them if they dont fit right.
but i am glad to know they are good for disc, another company i will reference people to over Merrell.

Also to the OP, i almost forgot HiTec makes really great shoes on the cheap. i have several friends who rock them and i have not heard anyone complain about their quality or durability.

i want too, but i would need to try a pair on before i would and no one locally carries 5.10s in size 15. im not wiling to go through the hassle of returning them if they dont fit right.
but i am glad to know they are good for disc, another company i will reference people to over Merrell.

Also to the OP, i almost forgot HiTec makes really great shoes on the cheap. i have several friends who rock them and i have not heard anyone complain about their quality or durability.
Sorry for the thread jack, but Smyith. I buy my shoes on Zappo's. The best online store for sure. I've recieved shoes within 24 hrs of ordering and the return process is super easy. You go to Zappo's and print out a return slip, tape it to the box, and then just drop it off at a UPS or USPS store (only two options) at no out of pocket cost to you. I checked and they have two in size 15 (Camp four and Tennie). I have the Camp Fours and they are SUPER rigid. Since they are approach climbing shoes. They took a good month to get them supple.

Anyone have any info on the HiTec palo alto???

You could invest and try out the salient DG spec 1 that will be coming out soon. Pre orders open up this weekend

Got some Cushe XSige WP from Zappos onsale last week. So far I love them. I still like Merrells but I might be a Cushe guy from now on. The waterproofing is better than I've ever seen and they are light and the stitching and materials seem great. Vibram soles too that was a must. Didn't think I would like the laceless drawstring thing but I really do.

I was in at Marshalls a few days ago and they had some Salomon xr neutrals for 70 bucks. Figured they wouldn't sell quick so I waited a few days and they were already on clearance for 52. I've never owned a pair and figured for the price I couldn't pass them up. They've got one more pair in my size, if I like them I'll probably go pick them up. I'm a sucker for a good deal on a pair of nice dg shoes. A lot of inventory there is hit or miss, but if you have one near you maybe go check.

Latest posts