• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to buy new shoes.

I've been an avid hiker my entire life and I've owned practically every brand of hiking and trail running boots and shoes that exist. I've also thru hiked the Appalachian Trail twice in my life so i know how durable the various brands really are. Salomons and Vasque's are the two least durable brands I've had. Merrells are actually a pretty good bang for the buck. If you want super durable and aren't concerned about price I'd recommend La Sportiva, Lowa, Asolo, and Zamberlans.

REI... Life time replacement

How about REI's shoes. Many come with life time replacement.
My current shoe selection is a pair of Sketchers... Light weight... Thin sole
All leather. Play well in snow, grass, and loose dirt

Salomon-

SENSE MANTRA - http://www.salomon.com/us/product/sense-mantra.html
(This shoe is very comfortable. Low heel-drop. I use it on any tee-pad and daily use. Lightweight and durable enough for most of my needs.)

S-LAB FELLCROSS - http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-lab-fellcross.html
(Great for courses that have no pads. Especially when it is wet out. Lightweight and low heel-drop.)

Low heel-drop shoes have saved my ankles. I won't ever go back to shoes without it. Before I started using them I was constantly turning my ankles on small things.

Both pairs have been exceptional so far. They are not cheap shoes. After having surgery on both my feet and numerous torn ankles I don't skimp on shoes. I don't need shoes for a while. If I did I would seriously consider the -
CUSHE XSIGE WP - http://www.cushe.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22062M/0/Mens/Xsige-WP?dimensions=0
They even mention something about Disc golf in the description!

How about REI's shoes. Many come with life time replacement.
My current shoe selection is a pair of Sketchers... Light weight... Thin sole
All leather. Play well in snow, grass, and loose dirt

Much love for REI! :hfive:

Buy all my gear at REI for the warranties and the cash kick back for members on dollars spent the previous year. Usually have me a refund check in the $50 - $80 range and put that towards new equipment.

Also a big fan of Merrells, surprised to hear they wore out so quickly for the OP. I had my Moabs for 3 years before they gave out, working on my Chameleons right now, 9 months and going strong.

Also a big fan of Merrells, surprised to hear they wore out so quickly for the OP. I had my Moabs for 3 years before they gave out, working on my Chameleons right now, 9 months and going strong.

Same here. I've also been wearing their "barefoot" shoes for daily (non-DG) and gym use. The minimal drop has been much better for my feet. I've been checking out their new "Ascend" (zero drop) which come in a regular and gore-tex model, and they all have full length rock plates under the Vibram soles. Once my current pair (Moabs) wear out, or it gets wetter, I'll try the Ascends out. I think Merrells are good for the price too, plus they tend to run wider. Keens seem okay, but are heavy to me.

Last edited:
If you're looking for minimalist zero drop shoes I cant recommend Vivobarefoot enough. If you're looking for more traditional shoes, I like Patagonia, and have had mixed results with Keens.

So I know I am gonna hear it for this but here goes. I wear Adidas SG2000 Shell Toes. I have been using them for over a year on the dg courses and they are holding up great. The toe on these things is awesome. I toe drag my left and it does not even show on these shoes. I was wearing Adidas Kanadia TR4s but kept wearing through the toes, so i switched over to the shell toes. Comfortable, widely availiable, well priced shoes.

I put together a small bag to keep in the car so I can play at a moments notice. I needed some shoes to keep in the car, since I am usually in work boots after work. I bought these the other day. They are super comfortable and have great traction. Got them on clearance for $49. New Balance 811 All Terrain :

Latest posts