• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

DJochims

Currently I live in South Dakota. I'll be graduating from college in the spring and I'm tired of living in this state. In your opinion, whats the best state/city to move to for outdoor activities and disc golf?

Well not too far away the Twin Cities have a great mecca of disc golf leagues and tourneys with many options weekly. Monday-Thursday within 30 miles you generally have 2 or 3 league options per day and 1 to 2 instate tourneys per week. Other good ones would be Charlotte, NC, Southern California, Texas, Michigan, Wisconsin or Illinois. MN seems to have most states beat with the league scene judging from a friend who moved from MN to Sacramento this year who has to drive twice as far just to find a league when he had 2 better options here.

I love my courses here in Michigan, we have a lot and some are great. I am really impressed with the course density in Minnesota, and Wisconsin has some really good ones too. If you're into winter sports as well, Colorado would be a good choice.

Personally I'd say put employment opportunities ahead of disc golf though, unless you're going pro and have a big inheritance ;)

Central Iowa has a decent economy, low cost of living, many good courses within the Des Moines metro, and lots more within a two hour drive.

I'm not too worried about employment. I'm graduating with 2 BS degrees: Computer & Network Security, Computer Network & System Administration. There are tech jobs everywhere. I'm just mostly tired of harsh winters, I'm looking for something milder. I love Minnesota, but you guys get more snow than I do down here in South Dakota =P

Charlotte, NC, 30+ 18 holes course within 35 mile radius, as well as an additional 20+ 9 hole course. The local Charlotte Disc Golf Club has a league event everyday of the week as well as weekly PDGA rated rds. We can play all year around as well. Doesn't get much better!

With more than 60 courses locally, the weather to play year round, and at least the top 2 courses in the world nearby, Dallas is likely the number 1 candidate right now for unequivocal disc golf mecca.

For more mild weather, try
Charlotte, NC
DFW, TX or
St. Louis, MO (my home town)
* We've had 8 new 18 hole courses in the last 2 years - 1 of those is an add on to an existing 18 hole course, which is already epic by itself!

Indian camp Creek
Fort Zumwalt
Carrollton Park
Wilmore
Dunegant
Logan College
Deer Creek Supposedly the fist installment of a 3 course disc golf mecca

Sioux Passage This is the one that is currently having another 18 installed on location - should be finished by late November

There are also easily over 100 courses within an hour to an hour and a half drive of St. Louis

Reality is most decent size cities have plenty of decent job opportunities and at least a decent (if not thriving) disc golf scene. Not knocking SD, but any city with an NFL or MLB team will likely be a step up from that in terms of both job opportunities and disc golf courses, simply as a function of population. Perhaps the type of work/industry you want to work in could be a factor as well.

Last edited:
Dude. I moved from northern ohio, flat ground and horrible winters. Virginia has warm, but not too warm weather, and outdoor activities galore. Ocean, mountains, and TONS of history. I chose to move here out of every state in the country.

cold doesnt bother me, snow/ice does. I played this weekend, 45 degrees out with ~10mph winds. That was still t-shirt and shorts weather for me.

Western PA is super special - home of the 2015 Worlds! Moraine, Knob Hill, and Deer Lakes are all world class, Orange Crush/Seth Burton isn't too far away, and there are a half dozen other quality courses in the immediate area. Can't go wrong with that area. Only downside is the brutal winter.

I would recommend Portland Oregon. Great courses and mild weather year round. Sometimes it might rain but that doesn't stop the discs from flying. (I moved from SD 3 years ago to the great NW and IMO Portland has the best concentration of great courses in the NW region)

From experience, I really enjoyed living in places with multiple good courses within 30 minutes. Right now I live in Boston with a number of stellar courses 60-90 minutes away but virtually nothing within an hour. This means I can't really play after work, and it takes a big chunk of the day on the weekend.

I would take 10 rounds a week at 3-star courses over 2 rounds a week at 4.5-star courses.

If you're looking for tolerable weather and a good disc golf scene, consider Kansas City. As a fellow Midwesterner, I can tell you this is one of the most underrated cities. Great food, affordable rent, winters that aren't as brutal as South Dakota and summers that aren't horrific. And the disc golf is terrific (no, I'm not from there and have never lived there).

I would recommend Portland Oregon. Great courses and mild weather year round. Sometimes it might rain but that doesn't stop the discs from flying. (I moved from SD 3 years ago to the great NW and IMO Portland has the best concentration of great courses in the NW region)

I've made a couple disc golf trips out there to visit a friend. Really great courses. It's obvious everyone there loves their city.

The summer weather in Portland is quietly underrated.

My choices would be (not from experience) just from observation.

Charlotte- Good weather and great courses
San Diego- Great weather and good courses
DFW- Good weather and great courses

OK. Hands down California has the BEST weather and some epic courses. Forget those other states. Sunny almost all the time, Los Angeles, Central Coast, Monterey bay area, Santa Cruz, San Diego, San Fransisco, first course of Disc Golf installed in Pasadena. And the women.......ohhhh man the women.

Latest posts