• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing a beloved disc.....then spending a few hours finding it

...By the time we made it back around, about an hour, I saw the glimmer of plastic in the rough and thought I was getting it back. I went over it pulled it out and what do you know it magically changed shapes into a Purple Champion Teebird.

It seems a Nub picked up my disc and left his behind. Some days are just like that...

Another good example of a superstition that has developed over time for me:
The disc golf gods have a law of conservation of discs in which if I lose one disc, I will likely find one - and sadly - if I find one disc, I will likely lose one...

Sadly I have found a disc that was left behind* by someone else on the same hole every-time I go back and play (last 5 trips at least) this one course. I play this course maybe once a year if I am lucky. I have not lost/left a disc at this facility yet.

Hole 16
Red course
Lemon Lake IN

I always turn them in at the "Pro Shop" if they are actually open.

I say left behind* because sometimes the disc is very visible (like laying in the fairway) other times just off the fairway.

After a Tournament in Rapid City South Dakota My Dad, and I spent 20-30 minutes looking for a disc clear or near that Double Z stamp XL from a tournament with bad color stamp in tan and mustard yellow that I later got a Yellow/green hard to miss replacement being a Used Elite Z XL that was despite being slightly used for a few years was the same OS as the Z XL I had lost. I Get a call almost 10 years to the day of that no longer done tournament, of a person who finds the disc in a former bush that got cut down and disc is flying More US then a lightweight Archangel, guys wife loves it for a roller disc. This is what they told me on the phone from Rapid City. My Brother with us just slept in the truck when we got to look for the disc.

Another I could see the DX Stingry disc I searched for for 20 minutes in A nasty creek at the Pierre South Dakota defunct sign course in Griffin Park I called the Griffin that was a bad very poor design even if just using catch disc, at one hole was a guarantee to hit a kid. Then hole 1 was so short that a person would get a 2 with a catch disc, hell even a promotional catch fastback like disc (what the course was intended for in in debut 1995) one could get a 2 on the par 3 first hole even if using a rule of you have to hit the sign. There was not a tee of post so you used the previous sign tee. I wished target was even the straight tight chains using I-Bolts to hold them on, the sign posts sucked badly. Later I find a guy using my disc all messed up and color gone from the disc ready to fail on the next hit. I later found 1/2 of the gross used up DX Stingray disc at Powerhouse Ally in Oahe State park in Ft Pierre South Dakota right in front of a tree.

Last edited:
I only have a few lost and never found discs that make me truly sad. One was a similar situation-ish probably throwing in a bad spot. A brand new Putt for D'OH sparkle proton Envy. VERY FIRST THROW. At a park near my house I have thrown at before but not from the spot I threw. I didn't really take into account the elevation change and way more air under the disc than I meant. It started fading left and just carried left and more left. It was like a bad slow motion scene in a movie watching it fly straight into a giant tangle of boysenberry vines. I went down and looked and looked. came back with jeans on and brush clippers. I found balls and aerobie rings and ultrastars and cheap pet store frisbees. I gave up after getting cut to ribbons and came back later in the winter when the vines were leaf-less and dead and looked again until I was cut to bleeding. Gone forever.

Why was he so sleepy?

Because first he did not get a good nights sleep before the event he has had minor OCD in life starting at age 9. Then second the event was not what he wanted having to play with a person who she was 9 my brother 10 or 11 and she the younger person could not keep score or faked cheating by forgetting her putt, a thing we had to add to her score and force the other to have the other keep score, but would sometimes on accidentally forget another throw on a hole. Also what was worse was her grandfather was in second round with my brother as the 3 on the card and her so when grandpa got the card he would side with her not believing my brother she messed up.

I mean even I could count before from age 8-9 with a few times playing mini golf and count OB strokes as an extra all that, and I have ADD style Asperger's, so I could have done this counting for a hole. She did not have problems counting outside of disc golf when she was counting her discs, having to go back to find one of her 3 distance discs in the break between rounds (under 145 gram DX Valkyrie) not even sure the color, just knowing the brand and model.

Last edited:
Next time leave your fine tooth comb at home. It takes way longer to literally go through bushes with a comb, and it didn't even help you. If you'd just looked like a normal person you would have found it in no time. Or bought another one. :D

Because first he did not get a good nights sleep before the event he has had minor OCD in life starting at age 9. Then second the event was not what he wanted having to play with a person who she was 9 my brother 10 or 11 and she the younger person could not keep score or faked cheating by forgetting her putt, a thing we had to add to her score and force the other to have the other keep score, but would sometimes on accidentally forget another throw on a hole. Also what was worse was her grandfather was in second round with my brother as the 3 on the card and her so when grandpa got the card he would side with her not believing my brother she messed up.

I mean even I could count before from age 8-9 with a few times playing mini golf and count OB strokes as an extra all that, and I have ADD style Asperger's, so I could have done this counting for a hole. She did not have problems counting outside of disc golf when she was counting her discs, having to go back to find one of her 3 distance discs in the break between rounds (under 145 gram DX Valkyrie) not even sure the color, just knowing the brand and model.

so just to clarify its asd with adhd correct

so just to clarify its asd with adhd correct

Not sure what you mean but the Asperger's is what causes the ADD, I do not have the HD to the ADD at all and I can sit still for long periods, it is my internal mind that thinks about other things or I get board with what I am doing quicker then most on some subjects. I have found that for me ADD meds do not work or have too many side affects for ones that work well, that I stopped using them at age 21. I feel better without them to be honest and I can hyper-focus on my work when needed at my full time job which I started more at almost age 22.

This is also why some of my posts get hard to read on this site.

Sorry for thread drift everyone back to discs and where to look for them.

I have yet to since getting DX Dragon disc in 2005 loose a disc into the water, only an old Ace race Impact at the old layout of the St. Marry's university in 2009 where one hole was barely on other side over a smaller dump pond with an old truck in it, I did not care as that Impact was in he weights of the discs that work. This is of how I started using DX Dragon discs. I first another floater a 171 gram #2 Driver glow from Lighting in mid 2005 playing at Sandy Shore rec area in South Dakota after it being on the water 15-25 minutes at most, the discs I looked at the time online in reviews on the Lighting site and saw that #2 driver discs over 170-175 grams will only float in water for 30 minutes most in clam weather, this was bad crappy winds etc. So later a few days after that I got to the local place that sold Innova only and got a DX Dragon, same with my brother.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean but the Asperger's is what causes the ADD, I do not have the HD to the ADD at all and I can sit still for long periods, it is my internal mind that thinks about other things or I get board with what I am doing quicker then most on some subjects. I have found that for me ADD meds do not work or have too many side affects for ones that work well, that I stopped using them at age 21. I feel better without them to be honest and I can hyper-focus on my work when needed at my full time job which I started more at almost age 22.

This is also why some of my posts get hard to read on this site.

Sorry for thread drift everyone back to discs and where to look for them.

I have yet to since getting DX Dragon disc in 2005 loose a disc into the water, only an old Ace race Impact at the old layout of the St. Marry's university in 2009 where one hole was barely on other side over a smaller dump pond with an old truck in it, I did not care as that Impact was in he weights of the discs that work. I lost another floater a 171 gram #2 Driver glow from Lighting in mid 2005 playing at Sandy Shore rec area in South Dakota after itt being on the water 15-25 minutes at most, the discs I looked at the time online in reviews on the Lighting site and saw that #2 driver discs over 170-175 grams will only float in water for 30 minutes most in clam weather, this was bad crappy winds etc.

no i follow you

thank you for the response

Not a terrible trade. I'd take a champ Teebird over an Avenger SS any day.

Thought the same thing when I read that post. Champ Teebird is my main driver. Some of them I have had for years, are seasoned to fly so nicely AND have some sentimental value such that I could see myself searching for a while if they got lost.

Last edited:
I've recently reached this point as well.

I stopped writing my name and number once COVID arrived. A $14 disc just doesn't seem worth the interaction anymore. And I lose discs long before they mean anything more to me than the original purchase price. For me, discs are consumables.

I am with you on discs being consumables. And I have gotten lax about writing my name on my discs, but I still try to do it. I seldom get a disc returned (twice, I think), but at one time a buddy or mine and I were throwing the same disc (same color), so having some marking helped to distinguish them.

I lost a Tristan Tanner "Van Life" Opto Explorer today because I forgot that I shanked a frustration extra shot with it on some unknown hole on a new to me course. I liked that disc, one of my few custom stamps. Parked the first hole I threw it on and I've only had it a few weeks. I rewalked the entire course, but no luck.

Funny thing is I found a disc a while back and called the guy and he wasn't all that interested in getting his Leopard3 back.

I lost a Tristan Tanner "Van Life" Opto Explorer today because I forgot that I shanked a frustration extra shot with it on some unknown hole on a new to me course. I liked that disc, one of my few custom stamps. Parked the first hole I threw it on and I've only had it a few weeks. I rewalked the entire course, but no luck.

Funny thing is I found a disc a while back and called the guy and he wasn't all that interested in getting his Leopard3 back.

I can't count how many times the frustration extra shot has caused me more pain looking for a disc than just taking my medicine and playing as it lies.

Yup, had that happen on 27 at Sandy Point with a Champ Rhino. I thought the throw went directly into the stream to the left of the walk bridge, or at least I thought it did and after using a disc gator poking around. I couldn't figure out where it was, or if the stream pushed it out into the lake. It wasn't like the disc was going to hide as it was a chartreuse color. But, hide it did. I checked back the next morning and I managed to find a kc pro roc down in the murky, and took a poke around behind the stream and nope.

I've never got to play 26 and 27 at Sandy Point. Probably a good thing or I'd be in the same situation 😁

I am with you on discs being consumables. And I have gotten lax about writing my name on my discs, but I still try to do it. I seldom get a disc returned (twice, I think), but at one time a buddy or mine and I were throwing the same disc (same color), so having some marking helped to distinguish them.

I just do my Email on my discs now with most on the top side but the Ace Race Impact the exception, that is not going to change for a while. Also they get my name on about 1/2 as more recently I have stopped doing my name on them.

I calculate the cost of the disc vs my salary. It's just not financially reasonable for me to search for more than 15 minutes. (a bit like that story about Bill Gates who loses more money than he picks up if he spends one second on picking up a 100$ bill).

I no longer have discs that are so beat in and "oldtimers" that they are not replacable. Lost the last one of those last year, now i play more or less out of the box.

So screw that disc, i'd rather spend my time playing.

I calculate the cost of the disc vs my salary. It's just not financially reasonable for me to search for more than 15 minutes. (a bit like that story about Bill Gates who loses more money than he picks up if he spends one second on picking up a 100$ bill).

it's a fun idea but not exactly true. BG doesn't have to move to make money. nobody gets that rich without passive income streams.

a good criteria for us plebeians though!

I can't count how many times the frustration extra shot has caused me more pain looking for a disc than just taking my medicine and playing as it lies.

I jinxed myself. Threw a solo round this morning, spent 5+ minutes finding discs twice. Got back to the car and thought "man, I'd really like to dial in my throw on 1 Black". First throw Thunderbird landed in the open, but a touch shorter than I wanted, so I tried hyzerflipping a Valk. Too much hyzer and a little bit early release sent it into the shule on the left side of the fairway. Saw which tree it hit first and searched all around the base of it with no luck, it probably fought through and was deeper in the nasty. Gave up because I had to get home and do breakfast for the kids. RIP Pro Valkyrie.