• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing discs...NOT on the course.

dtuba

Birdie Member
Don't 'rube me but I could not find this thread anywhere else.

Anyone else lose discs during field practice , Not on the course? Because I've lost 2 in the last 2 weeks. Was practicing in 2 different parks here in T-Town, both wide open grassy fields with some thorny bushes off to the side. It must be noted that both disc's were 150 DX (i.e. flippy as all get out) and in both cases a strong gust of wind sent them sailing into the thorny ravines. Now I feel dumb because I've lost 2 discs and have not played a proper hole of golf in the year 2015 yet.:doh:

I have left them behind which is even worse than your case it sounds like. yeah its a bummer but at least some DX. Id say, find a new field ;)

I've never lost one doing field work myself because I usually take out a set number of discs (like 5) and don't throw any more out of my bad until I've retrieved them. However, you're not alone; I've found more discs laying in the middle of the open field on one of our local courses than I can even count. People do it all the time.

I've come close - you need to have a head count before field throwing.

That has saved me a handful of discs.

Lost one out in LA Mirada when I threw all my discs in my bag. One of them was a sweet teebird that McBeth signed. I was more bummed losing it because it had the best flight out of all the TBs.

Yeah, I lost 2 SL's throwing field last year. Due to my eyesight I can often throw my discs farther than I can see them. I suspect one is embedded in a hedge but I'm not sure where in about a 150' stretch of it. The other...I think I heard it land on a roof but no one could find it for me.

For sure...the more you've got out there, the more difficult it is to not get distracted and lose track of one, now and again.

Once lost one warming up on the soccer field at Idlewild right by hole one...to a neighbor's dog: he trotted out as I was throwing my fifth toss, chose an Air Saint, and hightailed it home before I could catch him. I was later told that the owner actually encourages him to do it, and won't return a single one. :wall:

Yes I've lost a fair amount of discs and only two on the course.

One threw in the ocean when a headwind turned it over(DX Aviar), (DX Roc) threw it unexpectedly long and into a swamp, custom dyed Star FB was stolen from my practice field by a kid who was passing by, Champ Vulcan is on the roof of a rec department building and I see it often but can't get to it, and my first Yao was destroyed by a neighbors dog after a bad grip lock. I let him keep it.

I throw 7 and then retrieve. If I do 8 I end up searching way too long or just leave one out on the field. Worse field loss was a factory dyed pre Barry Leopard. I literally cried on that one.

I've had many near misses while practicing, but have always eventually found all of my discs.

In the case of the picture below, it took me a while to find one.

picture.php

I was practicing drives at a local park. I had my Skillshot set up in a "peninsula" area. Little did I know that this drain lurked just 20' left and long of the basket. I thought that I made a nice throw only have trouble finding it. When I walked over to the the drain and saw the disc down in it I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, I don't have Popeye arms, and the hole was less than 2' deep. So I was just barely able to retrieve my QOLF from in the pit. :)

At the soccer field near my home course I've left a few out there. Even left one out there when some ultimate players were using the next over soccer field. I know they had to have picked it up on their way off the field. It was a Vibram Trak, so it probably didn't suit their needs and got chucked into the river, because I sure as hell didn't get a message from anyone finding it.

I usually throw six at a time. About a year ago when I was starting, one disc decided to go into the shule. As I went to retrieve it a dog walker was stroller by my other discs on the field. Not wanting to have the dog chomp on those, I picked those up first, and of course, to be nice, said hello to the dog walker. When I turned my attention back to find the one in the shule it was lost. Every time I came back to the field I would look for it. About 5 weeks later I spotted it.

I usually throw six at a time. About a year ago when I was starting, one disc decided to go into the shule. As I went to retrieve it a dog walker was stroller by my other discs on the field. Not wanting to have the dog chomp on those, I picked those up first, and of course, to be nice, said hello to the dog walker. When I turned my attention back to find the one in the shule it was lost. Every time I came back to the field I would look for it. About 5 weeks later I spotted it.

:clap: Great when you can retrieve a lost disc.
In fact, I left a disc on a hole tonight during league dubs. Realized it quite a few holes later. Figured someone from another group would pick it up for me. No one did. After the round, I went back to the hole I thought it might be at. Walked around in the dark with my phone light on. Gave up and started heading away when my eye caught a glimmer. Walked back towards the spot and behold my disc was waiting for me.:D

The park that I used to throw in when I lived in SF had dense bushes if you made a bad throw. I think that I lost 2-3 that year.

I almost lost my putter the other day :doh: It landed 5 feet to the right of some tall grass and just so happened to be the same color as the dead grass. Looked for almost 20 minutes before I was about to give up. I walked maybe 20 feet past where I thought it landed and sure enough there it was.

Sometimes I don't give myself enough credit on my throws distance, and I almost ended up paying for it.

Lost one throwing in a field by my house a few months ago, looked for it for several hours over the course of the past few months, no luck. I went out to throw again this week, and my 4 year old was with me. He said, "Hey dad, a disc!" He literally stumbled over it, I 'm just glad to have it back.

Don't 'rube me but I could not find this thread anywhere else.

Anyone else lose discs during field practice , Not on the course? Because I've lost 2 in the last 2 weeks. Was practicing in 2 different parks here in T-Town, both wide open grassy fields with some thorny bushes off to the side. It must be noted that both disc's were 150 DX (i.e. flippy as all get out) and in both cases a strong gust of wind sent them sailing into the thorny ravines. Now I feel dumb because I've lost 2 discs and have not played a proper hole of golf in the year 2015 yet.:doh:

You are not practicing in a field if there is anything but grass. I would find a better field or go stand in front of the thorny bushes and make my throws.;)

Latest posts