• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing discs trouble

34blast

Bogey Member
In the last 6 months, I have lost around 15 discs. It is so aggravating. I have my name and number but no luck. The frustrating thing is that I just seem to forget to pick them up out in the open. It usually occurs when the course is empty so I take an extra shot for practice. This weekend was the last straw, I forgot to pick up my Sexton Firebird and my favorite like new PFN Orc.

So besides not being a Moron, does anyone have some tips or tricks to help me end this insanity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Count how many discs are in your bag at the start of your round.

When throwing more than one shot, count how many discs are in your bag when you putt out/begin towards the next hole. 19 in your bag? Why isn't there 19 right now? EACH HOLE. Good luck:thmbup:

About half the time on the weekday mornings I'm the only one playing the course but there's still too many distractions for me; cars driving by, park walkers, etc. I know I'll forget to pick an extra shot up so I don't even bother. Besides if I throw two errant shots the time to find both increases exponentially.

In the last 6 months, I have lost around 15 discs. It is so aggravating. I have my name and number but no luck. The frustrating thing is that I just seem to forget to pick them up out in the open. It usually occurs when the course is empty so I take an extra shot for practice. This weekend was the last straw, I forgot to pick up my Sexton Firebird and my favorite like new PFN Orc.

So besides not being a Moron, does anyone have some tips or tricks to help me end this insanity?

Stop taking extra shots. 15 discs in 6 months lost in that manner is absurd. Throw crappier discs too.

Play with one disc.

Or even just less discs. My favorite number to carry is 13, one putting putter, three driving putters, three mids, three fairway drivers, three distance drivers. If your bag has dividers use them. I can figure out what is missing in one quick glance.

Count how many discs are in your bag at the start of your round.

When throwing more than one shot, count how many discs are in your bag when you putt out/begin towards the next hole. 19 in your bag? Why isn't there 19 right now? EACH HOLE. Good luck:thmbup:

I think I need to do this after each hole as recommended. I carry up to 18 discs on certain course but much fewer on familiar courses. So in theory should be simple to implement if I can ignore the brutal Texas heat and bugs

My two biggest...

1. Don't throw multiple shots off the tee during rounds, and count your soldiers after every hole.
2. Never turn your head away. Always watch your throw until you can no longer see it. Note where it landed in reference to a nearby object.

Like grip said, count em. I only carry a few molds so I memorize how many I have of each mold. When I count I go mold by mold so it's easy to quickly realize which mold is missing a disc and that usually makes me remember when and where I threw it.

I can sympathize. Almost 5 years ago I left a pink Champ Viking, apx. 162g, that I had spent some time hunting down, on the course. I hadn't even inked it yet. I still regret that. It was almost worth it, because it so ticked me off that I've let it motivate me. I throw fewer extra discs, and do it less often. I count the discs as I throw them, if I throw extras, count them backwards as I pick them up, and try to count them at the end of the hole (I don't always, but I end up averaging at least every other hole). And I stay ticked off enough about it that I refuse to let myself do it again. I haven't lost any that way since.

So, are you ticked off enough to be motivated not to leave anymore discs on the course?

I know someone who loses discs all the time. His problem is he's always stoned, drinking or both.

Count your discs at every tee pad before you drive.

One of the things I do is to set my bag down between the disc and the pin. To move on I have to walk over both.

Now if your problem is simply forgetting that you're throwing doubles;

3-bottle-trimmed.jpg

<Just teasing>

Get a playing partner that is not so absent minded, and who is willing to remind you to pick up your discs.

I think I need to do this after each hole as recommended. I carry up to 18 discs on certain course but much fewer on familiar courses. So in theory should be simple to implement if I can ignore the brutal Texas heat and bugs

Counting after every hole is imperative. I make it even easier by never changing the number of discs in my bag. I also keep them in a specific order. Generally i can just glance in my bag and see that something is missing before even counting. Keeping them in order helps for winter night rounds as i can count without seeing to find the correct disc.

I play a lot of solo rounds and will play multiple shots each hole so I sympathize here. Three things I've picked up to keep from counting my bag 18 times a round:

1. fill to the full capacity of your bag to where you know what it looks/feels like when one disc is out.
2. arrange your bag in some kind of order (slow to fast, etc)
2. only buy easy-to-see colors. neon pink and neon orange whenever possible for me!

count 'em. I nearly always carry 10 discs (sometimes fewer), so at a glance I know something's missing. you might LITERALLY tie a string on your finger or something goofy like that to remind you to pick up. eventually you'll become less stupid, hopefully. :)

Like others have said, know how many you have in your bag at all times. For example, my Grip C-series bag I have 3 putters up top, then 13 discs down low (4 os drivers, 4 mids, 5 us drivers from left to right). I usually check my bag at the next tee each time when I am deciding what to throw for my next drive. Quick check, 3 up top, then 4 os, 4 mid, 5 us = all there, done. If something is missing I know exactly which one is missing to help me remember when I last threw it.

As a compulsive "multiple thrower," I realize it's a fool's errand to ask you to play with one disc or stop throwing multiples. Fortunately, I'm also a compulsive "not-disc-loser," and I've wasted many an hour looking for discs or, occasionally, returning to discs I left somewhere.

My advice:
- Count how many you throw. (Everyone is saying count them in your bag, and that's fine. But for me, I'll count how many I throw from the tee. The bag strategy works fine too, but it works better for me to remember that I threw 3, or 5, or 8 discs from the tee.)
- Don't throw angry. If you throw angry after throw one hits a tree, that will probably not be a good throw either, and then you might throw angry again (fast, without watching your discs, etc.), and that's when you can have really silly losses.
- As others have said: watch your throws. If it goes out of sight, get landmarks that help you remember what it hit, or which way it was going, etc.
- Playing "altered" would be an easy thing to fix if it's a factor. Alcohol or other substances aren't gonna help anyone find frisbees.

I play alone 90% of the time and have only lost 1 disc not in water. Biggest thing is if you have a bad shot do not throw another unless you can see the first. The only time I'll ever throw a second is in woods and I hit an early tree. If I have a 300 foot drive that fades too hard into tall grass/rough no way am I throwing another.

Latest posts