• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Luma's Newbie-Bag

luma1

Bogey Member
Hi guys,

I've been a little bored at work recently, so Ive read through most of the articles here on DGR and stumbled over the article about Disc selection and that stuff. Now, as a beginner (I would consider myself one, having played only 6 months), I would like to know the opinion of some more experienced players on my bag. Unfortunately there is no good player around here for 150 miles that can help me out a little, so I need the help of you guys.. :)

I primarily use a backhand throw which I can get 350' with a still controlled shot and up to about 420' with my Star Destroyer on a big Anhyzer throw. I'm still working on my forehand, I can use it for some 100' upshots, and some forehand hyzers max. 250' where i can't throw a backhand. When I try throwing further I roll my hand over using the ball golf motion, but thats not the topic here…. A shot that I really like to use is my tomahawk. I really can't grip a thumber properly and get it out the way I want, but I can get my tomahawk out to around 270' – pretty controlled.

About my bag – I've just got a Grip bag so I had to dump some discs anyway coming from the DisCarrier. I know that it's best (at least people say so) to use least possible different molds, but I don't know…maybe this will come with time when my discs become beat up so I can replace a more understable one with the beat in. Anyway, this is what I carry around:

Drivers:
172 Elite-Z Nuke OS: Distance Tomahawks, those 250' big-skip-left shots, extreme headwinds
175 Star MAX: Shorter Tomahawks (220') and headwind disc that's not crazy overstable like the OS
174 Gold Halo: another headwind driver, a little less stable
175 Star Destroyer: go-to distance-driver for big S-shots
172 Pro Destroyer: might be my most beat in disc – nice for downwind driver or long turnovers, also used for rollers sometimes
170 Pro-D Nuke: my disc for water holes, behaves like the star Destroyer but is 5€ cheaper :)

172 Opto XXX: love this for tomahawks (a little shorter than the OS) and nice stable (headwind) shots
171/174 Ascent x2: really my go to driver for 350' holes – thrown 20' high it has that perfect flight for me
175 Star Leopard: with little Turn perfect for slight turnovers and I love it for tunnel shots, forehand hyzer disc
174 Neutron Shock: not tried it yet (still 15" snow outside) but it just sits there :)
173 Neutron Volt: I have one of those really understable Volts – distance rollers and turnovers that stay right

Mids:
174 Obex: nice and stable, love it against the wind
178 Eclipse Vector: love that extra glide combined with the stability, not quite as stable as the Obex though
176/177 Axis x2 (Eclipse, Neutron): new one which is laser straight, beat in holds a nice little anny line
169 ESP Meteor: that thing is crazy understable and I love it for rollers, easy to get rollin but somehow doesn't roll out fast

Putter:
173 Soft Eclipse Anode x2 – standard putt & approach, I love how this hold its line
172 V.P.: awesome into the wind and for controlled 200' hyzers
170 Summit: love this for 100' jump putts and for 230' turnover shots

I can get all of those discs in the Bag, so I'm fine with that, but I don't know, maybe there is a spot that I'm really missing. Also I think that maybe I have one or two overstable drivers too many (MAX? Halo maybe?). I love having the right one for every wind, but I wanted to know if that's the right way to go…Another thing…I have a beat in Halo at home, but I just don't like the way it behaves…it has more turn but still the same amount of fade, so I'd really like to keep all those different molds instead of having beat ones with me…I don't know.. 
Also, as you can see, I love stable discs, so I'm not that hyzer flip guy. I love doing that, but just cannot get the flip right, so mostly it will either dive right or wont turn over enough. So I rather take my Star Destroyer and play that big Anhyzer.

Thanks for your answers and opinions! (and for wasting 10 minutes of your life reading this endless post :wink: )

As long as cold and wet weather grip is not a problem those cover all the throws you use and i don't think there is too much overlap if you keep some of the overstable drivers strictly for tommies. You might make do with an annied Leopard to eliminate MVP drivers though keeping the Ascents.

Ok thanks. As soon as the snow has melted I will take my more understable Fairway Drivers out for a little field test and see which pair of those three works best.