• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lyme Disease

What's your Lyme Disease status?

• I live in the northeast and I've had Lyme Disease

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I've played discgolf 5+ years in the northeast and never got Lyme Disease

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • I'm from the northeast, no Lyme Disease but haven't played long.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I'm not from the northeast, but I got Lyme Disease anyway.

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
I live in the Midwest and got it last year playing ball golf. Luckily I caught it early. It's pretty prevalent around here, but I think it's even more so in the Northeast.

I remember reading about how Lymes came about. The whole government outbreak and whatnot. Pretty wild stuff, nothing to take lightly. Knock on wood, I haven't had it.

You know it's spelled L-I-M-E-S, right? Yeah, we got limes in Southern California. Personally, it's not my thing but some people I know garnish Mexican lagers with them.

I live in southern Rhode Island and I don't even know anybody from here who hasn't had it at least once in their life. It's serious business, if it isn't knocked out completely it can cause all sorts of chronic health problems and even kill people.

North west of what?

I live in the north west of switzerland and play for 5+ years and never had lyme disease.

I would tell you guys the best way to treat it, but it's not allowed on these forums. I can't blame the site really, but it's a shame. To prevent it spray down with apple cider vinegar and of course check for ticks, shower as soon as you can. It's pretty easy to avoid if you are proactive. I know a couple people that got rocky Mountain spotted fever last year so I'm cautious.

I have the wife do a complete tick check after every round or tournament. :D

Only had one dig in because i didn't shower after a casual round on a cool day. Got it off the next morning and didn't get Lyme.

I had Lyme Disease back in 2009. Woke up one day while camping with a deer tick attached to the vein on my right bicep. I removed it and the telltale red ring around the bite site was clear as day. It sucked, you could sleep all day and feel like you pulled an all-nighter, and my muscles would not recover during aforementioned sleep. I did not have health insurance at that time, but my friend had parents in the UK who sent me some amoxicillin and azithromycin, which did the trick. If left untreated, Lyme Disease can lead to meningitis, not something to take lightly.

Last edited:
I'm from MN and never had it but my dad got it there...nasty gross skin problems for a few YEARS because of it.

Yes, I meant northeastern US, sorry to leave out the euros, but I don't think they get it over there, or do they?

Seems like, PA, DE, NJ, and MA are the worst.

Got it working on the cape one summer about 8 years ago, before I started disc golfing. Felt crappy and feverish, went to the ER with the typical bull's eye rash (on my lower back), took doxy for 10 days and haven't felt effects. Showering after rounds and a thorough check and I haven't had many ticks take hold.

MD here. I've had it twice in the past 5 years. I've already removed 7 embedded nymphs this year. Those guys love me.

The only time I've ever seen a tick was in California, if we have them in Western Washington then I haven't seen them.