• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lynchburg Va to Raleigh NC and back.

Bamm

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys. Trying to get in 4 courses in two days. Playing Rockness and Diavolo. Maybe Ashe County, what should be the last? NC or Va. Thanks!

Hey guys. Trying to get in 4 courses in two days. Playing Rockness and Diavolo. Maybe Ashe County, what should be the last? NC or Va. Thanks!

Actually probably won't get to Ashe county. So what other two courses?

Assuming you don't want to travel far off of 501 you can't go wrong with Buckhorn, Jones Park, or my personal fave of the bunch, Rock Ridge. A bit farther off, East Clayton is great, UNC and Southern Community park are really fun. If you want to return home via 29, Cedarock park has 2 solid courses in it, Keeley park is really good, and Garden Grove is the best course of all time.*

*As the designer I might be slightly biased.

What would be a good course that's maybe a fun par three, pitch and putt course if we wanted a cool course to have a fun round at near Diavolo/Raleigh? Thanks!

I think I'm somewhat in an old school minority, but Valley Springs in Durham is one of my top favorite courses in the Triangle.

FWIW, personally I enjoy Buckhorn more than THE Diavolo, but that is a very minority opinion these days.

Kentwood is the most played/popular course in the state of NC. With it's history that's a really fun short one that it would be good to have played.

And the latest 2021 incarnation of UNC is really nice too. Well worth playing.

...Cedarock park has 2 solid courses in it...
I will second this. Cedarock & Wellspring are a fantastic one-two punch. (You can play them both if you play the "figure 8" starting at Cedarock and cutting over to Wellspring then finishing back on Cedarock.) I'll get a lot of hate for this, but honestly, if you had to make a tough choice, it would be well worth skipping Diavolo to play these 2 courses. (BUT I have a noodle arm, too, so that colors what I enjoy.)

I absolutely love Rockness Monster! I very badly need to revise my personal database list and ratings of 350+ NC courses that I've played, but I'm pretty sure that Rockness is in my Top 10 of NC courses. One option would be to play Rockness twice doing short tees and long tees for 54 different holes. Or play 18 on Short and 27 on Long; so many variations possible.

PSA: when in the Roxboro area, if you go to Sasquatch and Kraken, save time by just playing the water holes. Skip the rest and move on. (Sorry to the locals, but that's my honest preference.)

What are the dates of your trip?

And while I'm at it... make a small detour to play Primland on the way. It's one of my Top Favorite short courses in Virginia!