• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MA1 for Worlds is FULL!!!

i am not surprised one bit that it filled. the charlotte area probably has more disc golfers per capita than just about any other part of the country. and lots of good MA1 players as well. i'm surprised it didn't fill in less than a week.

Why would they give more invites than spots?? Dumbest thing ever...ive been saving money in paypal b/c I thought I had until may 1st...

If you were invited and didn't believe what your invitation told you, it's not Worlds staff that's dumb. From the letter you received a month before registration opened:

Registration
The event capacity will be 1,008 players, which, if reached, would make this the largest World Championships ever. Invited qualifiers have until May 1 to register before the event opens to any current PDGA member. Please register as soon as possible to guarantee your spot. We believe there's a good chance most divisions will fill and this event may sell out.

Why more invites than spots? Because about 4,400 amateur players earned the right to be invited by playing in enough sanctioned events to garner the points needed to qualify:
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2012_PDGA_Worlds_Invites_-_Amateurs.pdf

Yes, it is without precedent that a World Am Championship has filled during qualifier registration. Not. Even. Close. But perhaps, for the first time ever, Worlds participation is as it may have been envisioned - a privilege. Certainly the stars have aligned around this year's event.

I don't mean to sound harsh, and I am sorry you may not get to play. The Host Committee would like nothing more than to embrace as many people as want to come. That, after all, best furthers the long-term mission of the Charlotte Disc Golf Club and its civic partners: Make our disc golf experience so compelling Charlotte becomes the must-visit-or-move-there destination for those who love the sport.

But at this point, unlimited registration can't happen with the World Championships due to the daunting logistics involved. Already, with almost 1,100 players and 14 courses, the effort needed to pull this off is staggering.

And while it won't help for this year, musings have begun on how to provide a repeatable pinnacle experience on Queen Charlotte's courses. We believe there is opportunity with future Charlotte Amateur Championships to build that event into the sport's largest amateur showcase.

It's kinda tough to see right now, but if you stare at the horizon tonight and squint real hard, you may be able to make out a constellation rising, and it's shaped like a crown.

the long-term mission of the Charlotte Disc Golf Club and its civic partners: Make our disc golf experience so compelling Charlotte becomes the must-visit-or-move-there destination for those who love the sport.

Worked for me! The seeds were sown when I was here briefly for work in 2006-2007. Now you guys are stuck with me.

it doesnt help that they have changed the points needed for an invite. 500pt from 1000pts in yrs past.
i think that is dumb. they are really fishing for the title "biggest worlds ever"

Yeah! Damn them for getting so many people at the event! Gosh darn it! So greedy of them to promote the sport in that way.

it doesnt help that they have changed the points needed for an invite. 500pt from 1000pts in yrs past.
i think that is dumb. they are really fishing for the title "biggest worlds ever"
I do see quite a few people on there with rather pedestrian ratings.

My rating is not very high but I received enough points at Rochester last year in my only am1 event to be invited back. No excuse not to earn an invite and no excuse to wait to register if you did get an invite and got shut out.

Is this even true?

For years now it has been that 500pts is the minimum you must have for an invite but you must still be within the top 25% in your state. However, if you have 1000pts you are automatically invited. Are you saying that this year you get an automatic invite with only 500pts?

Is this even true?

For years now it has been that 500pts is the minimum you must have for an invite but you must still be within the top 25% in your state. However, if you have 1000pts you are automatically invited. Are you saying that this year you get an automatic invite with only 500pts?

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2012_Worlds_-_Amateur_Invite_Criteria_1.pdf

Hmm, guess so. I guess that does diminish the prestige of an invitation a bit as well as make the "record-breaking" attendance a little less impressive.

It really does put emphasis on AM Nats being the premier Amateur event in the world in terms of skill level of the field . . .

Hmm, guess so. I guess that does diminish the prestige of an invitation a bit as well as make the "record-breaking" attendance a little less impressive.

It really does put emphasis on AM Nats being the premier Amateur event in the world in terms of skill level of the field . . .

You only need 500 now, but your points have to be earned in advanced. Recs and intermediate could earn 10k in points but still not be invited.

Age protected still earn points as well.

You only need 500 now, but your points have to be earned in advanced. Recs and intermediate could earn 10k in points but still not be invited.
Then why do we have people with sub-900 ratings signed up. Like these guys who got most if not all of their points in MA2 or MA3.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/57767
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/50796
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/62285
http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/58722

Last I checked, all Am points were the same. Intermediates and Recs just don't get as many in an event for beating people.

Age protected still earn points as well.

not true.. its saying to play MA1 (the only one available besides age based) to play these division you must have:

MA1 500 pts, MM1 200 pts, MG1 50 pts, FW1 15 pts, FM1 15 pts,

MJ1 150 pts, MJ2 100 pts, FJ1 6 pts, FJ2 6 pts.

Attendance has little to do with the invites, since anyone could register in past years after the invite only registration period. Any am event is going to get a lot of locals and a lot of people with disposable time and money, it's the pro events where you can hold a prestigious tournament and get most of the top players.

I do see quite a few people on there with rather pedestrian ratings.

Ratings mean nothing, it has to do with participation and the support of the PDGA and its events. The only reason you see pedestrian ratings in MA1 is because there are no other lower divisions.

not true.. its saying to play MA1 (the only one available besides age based) to play these division you must have:

MA1 500 pts, MM1 200 pts, MG1 50 pts, FW1 15 pts, FM1 15 pts,

MJ1 150 pts, MJ2 100 pts, FJ1 6 pts, FJ2 6 pts.

Yea, points are points but you get more per person you beat the higher the division you are in. That is one of the benefits for playing up in divisions...now...the points is WAY too low...IMO but I live in an area where it is easier to find A and B tiers for the higher point values.

for the people complaining that they didnt get in and they had an invitation: Stop complaining, you had the same opportunity to register as everyone else who did. It's not like the requirements for an invite werent known months in advance....

for the people complaining that they didnt get an invite and there are people with "not great" ratings who registered: Stop complaining and try participating in enough events to get the points for an invite next time around. Since they removed the top 25% in the state requirement this year it was real easy to know where you stood. Take a look at where you stand in September and if you dont have the points then go play sanctioned events until you do....

Latest posts