• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maelstrom's 2017 ITB

Maelstrom

Hey guys,
I'm new around here and thought I would post my current bag setup and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Vitals:
experience: ~1 yr
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: mostly RHBH, some RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: PA1: 190/210*; Buzzz: 220/250*; Sword: 290/320*

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Sex: M
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Haven't settled on workhorse mid yet
Specific areas of desired feedback: Any obvious holes or overlap?
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more consistency in the short-term, and gain some additional distance in the long-term

Bag: Prodigy BP-3

Drivers
175 VIP Sword - main driver, max D
175 Star SL - slightly more stable counterpart to main driver, go-to for FH drives
172 VIP Giant - OS/headwind driver
146 Blizzard DD2 - US, SUPER flippy/tailwind driver

The Giant rarely comes out of my bag unless I'm facing some nasty headwinds. I found the DD2 and bag it just because I don't have a super US driver, but it probably won't stay because I'm way more comfortable either going FH with my SL, or using my Underworld for shots that need to go right.

Fairways
172 Star Teebird - straight with reliable left finish, also good FH disc
172 Opto River - lazer beam straight
171 TP Underworld - hyzer flip for nearly as much D as my drivers, flat release for reliable right turns, slight hyzer for roller goodness
176 GL XXX - utility super OS, usually FH

XXX comes out on 1 hole every time at my local course: mando right around 100' out from the teepad with a hard right turn for another 200' to the basket. My first ever birdie was a FH XXX shot around the mando and parked it for a drop-in bird

Mids:
176 N Tensor/ 177 Moonshine EMac Truth - slightly OS
172 TP Warship / 175 XT Atlas / 178 Big Z Buzzz - workhorse mid
178 D Buzzz / 169 DX Shark - beat-in, slightly US stuff
174 TP Tursas - hyzer flippy, glidey goodness

Tensor was bought at PIAS to fill my OS mid hole, but I've never liked it. I've since aquired the EMac Truth and a Harp which overlap the OS slot from both end of the spectrum, so there's no need for the Tensor anymore... Tensor will probably come out of the bag.

I thought the Warship would fill a space between my neutral mid and neutral fairway, but I like it so much it will probably just replace my neutral mid slot and be a slightly less stable counterpart to the EMac Truth.

DX Shark was my first mid and I'm really only hanging onto it for nostalgia: I rarely bag it anymore. I really don't need this or the D Buzzz... Tursas and Warship overlap this slot enough.

Putters:
174 300 PA-1 - beat-in, go to for drives and upshots
174 VIP Harp - OS utility
(2) 169 Yeti Aviar - push putts
(2) 172 K2 Berg - spin putts
149 Zero Soft Ruby - crazy US utility

Originally I was using a beat-in DX Aviar for approaches/drives and bought the PA-1 as an OS counterpart, but the PA-1 quickly beat-in to straight with reliable fade at the end (think short teebird) and became one of my favorite discs. I just recently purchased the Harp as an OS replacement, but haven't actually used it yet except for a few throws in the field.

I usually decide between the Yetis and the Bergs in the parking lot and rarely carry both sets.

I very rarely use the Ruby, but it's such a unique flight that has saved me a handful of times, so it probably won't ever come out of my bag.

At the distances you are posting, I'd be inclined to drop everything under "Drivers" and get your fairways out to around 350 before you think of adding in the slower end of the drivers.

I was thinking about that, but thanks for confirming! I will probably make that my New Year's resolution:drop all my drivers until I can consistently hit 300-350' with my fairways.

Looks like I'll need to sort out a video to post in the form critique forum. I'm 100% certain it will be cringe-worthy, haha!

Latest posts