• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

Ladies Bag Mods

Hi All,

All the mods are cheap or free. Thank you to the posters above me and the people that made youtube videos describing their modifications.

My Magellan is the third iteration of the bag in blue (March 2015). I'd prefer purple, but for the price, blue's fine.

The "made in China" aroma which resolves itself as you air the bag out. Other aspects of the bag have been addressed by others such as the crappiness of the zippers, possibility of the straps giving way, etc.

Structure:

Here's the video that helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaD6sl8M_4k

I used a piece of corrugated plastic that I cut down to roughly the dimensions according to previous posters. The only change I made was to "seam bind" the edges of the plastic with duct tape. The plastic edges can be really sharp. I don't imagine that it's good for the lining of the bag or your hands. Measure twice, cut once. Good chance to use up surplus duct-tape.

Because I used a leftover election sign from the side of the road, it wasn't quite wide enough (24"), but was more than tall enough for our purpose here. Using the straightedge, I made an *very* skinny pie-slice to make it fit inside the back without stressing the seams as much as a flat cut. The board folds and slides in easily. I'm right-handed, so the full-size side backs up to the left side of the bag, while the short side goes to the right side. I'm not quite sure how to describe that. ??

An Innova u-channel disc divider fits in almost perfectly and helps organize the discs and supplement the structure. (I ordered mine from Discs Unlimited and they sent me a purple drink cosy, too !!) https://discsunlimited.net/disc-golf-accessories/innova-accessories/innova-bag-dividers

To prevent sagging, I duct-taped leftover pieces of the sign together to make a bridge that lies in the bottom of the bag. This helps the rails on the bottom of the bag do their job better.

Other Changes:

One taco side pocket holds my rainproof skirt, drink cosies, and hair ties. The opposite taco pocket holds lipstick, bandaids, girl stuff. For the lipstick pocket, I used lining from an old thermal grocery bag. I doubt that it will make a huge difference temperature-wise, but you don't want your lipsticks to get melty in the summertime.

Press paper into the pocket to make a taco-shaped pattern; cut along the creases to get the custom dimensions for the pocket. Tape in or stitch with 1/4" stitches. It's thin, but it adds lightweight constitution to that pocket. (This is good because the coffee cup holster is hanging off of it.)

To shorten the putter pocket, I rolled and folded it up until it seemed like the right size. I whip-stitched across the bottom because you can't see.

To hang towels, I got a pack of skinny metal shower curtain rings. Amazingly, they are the right dimension to clip where the strap joins the body of the bag. It's a little fidgety, but you can hang three towels on there if you're feeling wild.

After a few rounds, I invested $2 in sticky-back velcro to secure the front flap to the plastic backing board. The valuables pocket knocks against the board and pushes the zipper flap back out, which drove me berserk.

Eventually, I would like to add grommets (as the Fade bags have) to the bottom of the drink holders as well as scotch-gard the bottom of the bag. A couple of months in, the blue is kinda wearing on me, so I'm thinking about stenciling the whole thing with purple spray paint. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't use the straps along the sides, so I secured them with Liverpool pin badges ;) Good place to hang your DGCR travel tag.

Bag. $25.72
Disc Divider. $15.59
Velcro. $2.14
Towel hanger clip. $1.07

The front lower pocket holds all five of my mini markers and some sharpies. I'm ready for an ace.

Attachments

• IMG_8666.jpg
    IMG_8666.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8667.jpg
    IMG_8667.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8680.jpg
    IMG_8680.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 74
Brush on fabric paint for worlds of color for your budget bag.

My newest modification is to use a four ounce bottle of purple Tulip Soft Matte brush-on fabric paint.
Amazon has it overpriced; you can get it at Michaels plus a trio of new brushes for $5 and change. No kidding!

This opens up a world of color choices for the $30 bags.
If I had it to do over, and eventually I probably will; I would get a couple of tubes and mix my own custom color. I did a little time in art school, but I don't fancy myself any sort of fabric painter. (I haven't decorated a tee shirt since the early nineties, lol.)

Things I learned.
*Do one section of the bag at a time.
*It will take two coats, plus touching up.
*Don't expect the brush to get all the way down inside the pockets.
*Judiciously applied, a four ounce bottle of paint will do the whole thing.
*Don't rush any aspect of the paint job.
*Some of the fabrics (such as the bottom of the side taco pockets) drink the paint easily while others (such as the honeycomb nylon) are content to be brushed and aren't terribly 'thirsty.'
*The first pass will make it seem darker. The second pass will make the paint the true color.
*Painting the whole thing takes the better part of a week.
*It will look worse before it looks better.
*Don't give up!

In the longer term, I expect the paint to show wear and I'm looking forward to it. It's a soft paint and doesn't dry "crispy." It seems like any other acrylic craft paint that I've used.
I don't know what the Tulip people did other than put it in a different bottle and have it merchandised on a different aisle of the store.
Acrylic paint is essentially runny plastic, so I expect the coats of paint to fortify the bag against the weather.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - in these photos, I have clipped glass heart charms on the zipper pulls. These are what I would have gotten if money was no object. Since it is, I got these from eBay.

Thank you for reading & happy painting !!

Attachments

• user78548_pic36203_1487360548.jpg
    user78548_pic36203_1487360548.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 161
  • user78548_pic36204_1487360548.jpg
    user78548_pic36204_1487360548.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 137
  • user78548_pic36205_1487360548.jpg
    user78548_pic36205_1487360548.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 129
Nice job Queen, it looks great!

Now wrap the inner plastic supports in fabric so it looks just as cool when looking inside the bag.

Thank you :D

*waggles eyebrows* Great idea !! I'll stick a pin in that.

Lol ok -- also, did you put a bottom support under the u channel? You can get a plastic cutting board for $1.88 at wal mart that works well, prevents bottom bowing. I added some foam on one long edge of the cutting board for padding and wrapped it all in black material.

I used some of the leftover material from the sign I cut down to make an anti-bowing board.
Is there a link to the cutting board? I've been curious about that. $1.88 seems awfully inexpensive.

Is it dishwasher safe? ;)

I used some of the leftover material from the sign I cut down to make an anti-bowing board.
Is there a link to the cutting board? I've been curious about that. $1.88 seems awfully inexpensive.

Is it dishwasher safe? ;)

You are too funny! ;)

If you go into a store, it's the only $1.88 cutting board -- shouldn't be too hard to spot. It's dishwasher safe and bullet proof too, in case you play in sketchy neighborhoods where the bad guys have bb guns. :p

that is an awesome job! Wow and thanks for sharing. A glow paint might be nice for glow rounds too... I've had one or two incidents where I put my bag down and then couldn't find it for a few minutes... heh

that is an awesome job! Wow and thanks for sharing. A glow paint might be nice for glow rounds too... I've had one or two incidents where I put my bag down and then couldn't find it for a few minutes... heh

Nothing worse than that feeling when your keys and wallet are in there.

You didn't answer my question. :D

Here you go! (In store purchase only though)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dexas-Cutting-Board-8.5-x-11/14964984

Oh my !!

I just found a whole selection of soft fabric paints - even glow in the dark pink.

Oh, dear!

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby they have all this stuff too -- and they run a 40% off coupon all the time (for 1 item) -- just print it and bring it along -- www.hobbylobby.com

You can use it on any regular priced item -- I've done it several times for various items. ;)

My newest modification is to use a four ounce bottle of purple Tulip Soft Matte brush-on fabric paint.
Amazon has it overpriced; you can get it at Michaels plus a trio of new brushes for $5 and change. No kidding!

This opens up a world of color choices for the $30 bags.
If I had it to do over, and eventually I probably will; I would get a couple of tubes and mix my own custom color. I did a little time in art school, but I don't fancy myself any sort of fabric painter. (I haven't decorated a tee shirt since the early nineties, lol.)

Things I learned.
*Do one section of the bag at a time.
*It will take two coats, plus touching up.
*Don't expect the brush to get all the way down inside the pockets.
*Judiciously applied, a four ounce bottle of paint will do the whole thing.
*Don't rush any aspect of the paint job.
*Some of the fabrics (such as the bottom of the side taco pockets) drink the paint easily while others (such as the honeycomb nylon) are content to be brushed and aren't terribly 'thirsty.'
*The first pass will make it seem darker. The second pass will make the paint the true color.
*Painting the whole thing takes the better part of a week.
*It will look worse before it looks better.
*Don't give up!

In the longer term, I expect the paint to show wear and I'm looking forward to it. It's a soft paint and doesn't dry "crispy." It seems like any other acrylic craft paint that I've used.
I don't know what the Tulip people did other than put it in a different bottle and have it merchandised on a different aisle of the store.
Acrylic paint is essentially runny plastic, so I expect the coats of paint to fortify the bag against the weather.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - in these photos, I have clipped glass heart charms on the zipper pulls. These are what I would have gotten if money was no object. Since it is, I got these from eBay.

Thank you for reading & happy painting !!

Yes, you are right amazon provides Tulip Soft Matte and many products at a very high price. But, you don't have to worry you all can buy all Creative Arts and their accessories at very low prices through Michael Coupon Codes. So don't miss this opportunity and grab your favorite deals.

Latest posts