• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

makeshift DG course

jablewokeez

There really are not many DG courses within an hour drive of where I live, and I really want to put in more time on the course. What I do have is a large city park with some open fields and even some moderately wooded areas.

So what i would like to do it make a makeshift course. Something like a landmark for a teepad, and a tree with a reflective marker of some sort as a the basket. This would just be something for me to satisfy my urge to go and throw. Eventually I would like to try and build a small club of DGers in my area and see about getting baskets installed at the local park. That is far into the future though.

Any advice on good ways to make a few makeshift diy golf holes?

Talk to the city about the benefits of dg and how it's a fun sport and hobby that's fun for all ages.

I definitely plan on that when I get my ducks in a row. I would like to have more of a support group, idea of costs, and funding before I bring it to the table. I have pretty solid ties throughout the community and could probably secure funding. Its just a matter of being more prepared with the logistics.

I definitely plan on that when I get my ducks in a row. I would like to have more of a support group, idea of costs, and funding before I bring it to the table. I have pretty solid ties throughout the community and could probably secure funding. Its just a matter of being more prepared with the logistics.

Work with a disc golf company like Innova or who ever you choose for baskets. Those companies have a lot of resources and all the prices to help you get started.

I would suggest reaching out to clubs that are close to your area as well for support. You will get some immediate bleed over. Start a fb page too. Refer to other pages for ideas on how they run their clubs. You get the pleasure of naming a brand new club.

Taking it old school with a target course can be a good idea if done right. There are legends locally of so called "bottle cap" courses where tees and targets were marked by bottle caps embedded in the bark of trees and stumps. Subtle marking that probably won't arouse ire from the parks department (as opposed to painting lines) but also won't be messed with by random idiots (if you're putting up reflective markers of some sort). Drawback of such a thing is you have to play with someone who knows it in order to figure it out, though these days with GPS marking, one could probably create some sort of online map and instructions. But if it's just for yourself to start, it could work fine.

...That is far into the future though....

It doesn't have to be. You'd be surprised how many parks departments know they want disc golf, but don't know how to get started. Contact the nearest designer from the Disc Golf Course Designers group, or click on the ad on this site (See "Need a course?" at the bottom of the home page) or contact any basket manufacturer.

Go ahead and do it now, you don't need to wait for a club to form.

Taking it old school with a target course can be a good idea if done right. There are legends locally of so called "bottle cap" courses where tees and targets were marked by bottle caps embedded in the bark of trees and stumps. Subtle marking that probably won't arouse ire from the parks department (as opposed to painting lines) but also won't be messed with by random idiots (if you're putting up reflective markers of some sort). Drawback of such a thing is you have to play with someone who knows it in order to figure it out, though these days with GPS marking, one could probably create some sort of online map and instructions. But if it's just for yourself to start, it could work fine.

This ^^^ create an object course. You could even use it as a stepping stone to a real course. Start with just trees as targets and designated tee areas. Then as your talks progress with land owners. Upgrade to bucket targets. When we design locally we use 5 gallon buckets on 4x4 posts for like the first year or so after we've gotten permission to install a course. That way we can play the design and move things easily before cementing baskets in the ground. Also helps relive worry about having unsecured baskets in the ground. If someone steals a bucket and board we're only out a few dollars and can easily replace it. I keep an eye out on craig's list for buckets. I've found all the ones we've used free or less than $1 each. This is also a cheap alternative while you raise funds for real baskets and also the design to develop and be tweaked before permanent installation. I think leads to better courses. It sucks to have concreted a basket right away then to realize the hole would be better if the basket was 30ft left.

We also have done pirate golf monthlys. Someone takes time to design a usually 9 hole course at some park without disc golf. Then we get locals to bring their practice baskets out to set up a course for the day. Lot's of fun we usually do a bbq lunch and then play some doubles on the course in the afternoon as well.

Really appreciate the feedback here!

I'll definitely be looking to follow up on some of these ideas. I need to investigate if there are any local clubs in our area.

We had a nice object course years ago. The locals used two ribbons tied around a tree, stop sign or telephone pole, etc.. You hit between the ribbons to score. The tee pads were just locations on the ground marked with chalk or a small flag in the ground. A few holes had actual baskets, but it was mostly objects.

I should go back down to that neighborhood and see if it's still there.

I made an object course at a church property that is down the street. Some of the objects (fire hydrants) work well (about the size of a basket, but a little low) and are easy to identify. If there was a stand of trees, I used the nylon landscaper ribbon to discretely identify the tree so the thrower knew the target. It's easy to replace and it may or may not "get noticed".

This ^^^ create an object course. You could even use it as a stepping stone to a real course. Start with just trees as targets and designated tee areas. Then as your talks progress with land owners. Upgrade to bucket targets. When we design locally we use 5 gallon buckets on 4x4 posts for like the first year or so after we've gotten permission to install a course. That way we can play the design and move things easily before cementing baskets in the ground. Also helps relive worry about having unsecured baskets in the ground. If someone steals a bucket and board we're only out a few dollars and can easily replace it. I keep an eye out on craig's list for buckets. I've found all the ones we've used free or less than $1 each. This is also a cheap alternative while you raise funds for real baskets and also the design to develop and be tweaked before permanent installation. I think leads to better courses. It sucks to have concreted a basket right away then to realize the hole would be better if the basket was 30ft left.

We also have done pirate golf monthlys. Someone takes time to design a usually 9 hole course at some park without disc golf. Then we get locals to bring their practice baskets out to set up a course for the day. Lot's of fun we usually do a bbq lunch and then play some doubles on the course in the afternoon as well.

That pirate golf sounds like an awesome idea. There are a few parks around here that I'd love to try that at.

Tone poles are a good way to go for this, can be done on the cheap with pvc pipe and some chains that are allowed to slack a bit so if the "basket" is around a dogleg or not visible from the tee you can hear it hit. You can build portable bases or even install in the ground if your able to use it as a step towards permanent baskets for a recognized course. Much like people talking about "pirate golf" when I was getting into disc golf about ten years ago a good friend of mine was trying to start a local club and was an innova retailer who did "rogue golf", he had 9 traveler baskets and would go set up at different parks in the area once a month during the weekly round hoping it would help catch on, we were able to set up on some private farm land for some very nice layout and even an apartment complex that sits right beside the river near the course the city set up at Catawba Meadows park in Morganton, NC.

Of course it's great to work with the local PD on a real course but in the meantime, the easiest thing is to get something like a SkillShot and just set up different "holes" each time you go out. I used to haul my SkillShot down to the local park and just set it wherever, bring a stack of discs and start making up tees. You don't need to have a defined "course" to practice and throw discs.

Update:

With help of the local club, we installed 10 baskets at the local park. 9 holes plus a practice basket. We went before the city council multiple times and had good feedback. This course broke ground back in November and has been packed every weekend.

With the large increase in local interest I am going to approach the local ball golf course and see what it would take to get an event going there annually.