• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making Course Maps with Google

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I just got the green light to install a course at a YMCA camp, a lot of ideas running through my head as I'm walking the property over and over. I would like to be able to tinker with it in Google Earth (or maps), but it's a lot easier in my mind. I have the data here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208177635080132616504.0004d04546250e21e1060

I'd like to be able to connect the dots (T1-B1 etc), with a dogleg or two, get rid of the walking path, have it show me distance of the holes, maybe move the tees and baskets around on the map to get different orientations and get the corresponding distance as I'm tinkering, then be able to print out and share a final product.

I've been :wall: for about the last hour and have made very little progress, wtf am I doing? I can import the data into maps, but can't seem to do much with it there. I tried creating a custom map, but the line tool seems to be very inaccurate. Is it possible to import the data to Google Earth? I'm also open to other (free) software suggestions if I'd be better off.

Thanks for any help.

you need to download google earth where it is far easier to do this. i did a tutorial for this once, let me see if i can find it.

.. can't find it... that's weird. just dl google earth and there is a vector tool you can use to get distances, elevation changes.. etc. you can make doglegs with it too.

Last edited:
yeah, google earth ftw.
then you can save photo and then edit it with paint or whatever program.
as for distances, should be able to use the measuring tool on earth to do distances.

a couple I made last night

0f07bdb2.jpg

c89e0449.jpg

Go into "My Places" in Google Maps and do a Create Map, then import your KML. At that point, you're in a map maker, and you can add lines at will. When you click on them, they tell you the length.

Example:
http://goo.gl/maps/2DKTS

google earth is the way to go, you wont get anywhere with google maps

use the icons for teeboxes and baskets, you can find custom icons, and you use the line tool for the fairway lines

Playing around in Google Earth is fun and easy once you get the hang of it
picture.php

picture.php

did these in a matter of minutes

All is good as long as the maps are recent.

You can do a lot of stuff in GE
~ 360 degree mapping
~ 3D mapping
~ distance tools (metric available for our neighbors up North)
I'll save the finalized maps and just transfer them over to another program to add the extras for tee signs, etc.

Even used the ancient MS paint to add all the trees
picture.php

Sized it down to the park's desired tee-signs (small 3 inch tee post sign to deter vandals ripping them off)
picture.php

or larger for standard tee signs, whatever you want
picture.php

picture.php

sky's the limit

Hey Martin,
I couldn't see the link thru my phone. What kind of data was it? GPS co-ordinates? Mapping you already did?
Might be easier than you think to just re-enter into GE the best you can. I've done hundreds of diff layouts for single courses and just saved the images before I would edit them and go back and forth until we could find what would work.
Wish I could help out more but I won't be around my laptop for a while to see what your having trouble with. I'll look into it when I get a chance unless someone else beats me to it.

Ok, I got it. Thanks all. It was data that I uploaded to google maps via my tracks on Android, since I already had it on google maps I knew it couldn't be too hard to upload it to Google Earth, I just had to look for the button that had the ge logo (save as kml file) and open it, bam, there's my waypoints in ge. Simple enough, I was just trying all the wrong things.

K, I'm getting it. Google Earth seems relatively intuitive to use. I can't seem to move things around, say I want to back 3 tee up a bit, how do I do that (I can change the lat long, but that seems tedious, I'd rather just click and drag)? and it would be really cool if the red line was attached to it and followed along. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Here's what I've got so far:
attachment.php

Attachments

• PepinMap.jpg
    PepinMap.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
K, I'm getting it. Google Earth seems relatively intuitive to use. I can't seem to move things around, say I want to back 3 tee up a bit, how do I do that (I can change the lat long, but that seems tedious, I'd rather just click and drag)? and it would be really cool if the red line was attached to it and followed along. Maybe I'm dreaming..

Just right-click on the object you want to move/edit, bring up the 'properties' window, and then while the window is open you can drag the object around as needed.

Yeah, sadly there isn't any easy method for combining tee/basket positions (placemarks) with flight route lines (paths).

Thanks! That's the part I wasn't getting as I'm reading the help info, that the "edit placemark dialogue box" is accessed by right click/properties. It seems counter intuitive, right click/edit or something would make more sense.

K, I'm getting it. Google Earth seems relatively intuitive to use. I can't seem to move things around, say I want to back 3 tee up a bit, how do I do that (I can change the lat long, but that seems tedious, I'd rather just click and drag)? and it would be really cool if the red line was attached to it and followed along. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Here's what I've got so far:
attachment.php

Now all I need to do is find all intersections of East Lake and West Lake Roads in Southern MN and I can find a new course!!!!

Now all I need to do is find all intersections of East Lake and West Lake Roads in Southern MN and I can find a new course!!!!

Oh you can do better detective work than that, it's going to take you a while if you head to Southern MN to find this one. And even if you do find it, good luck playing it, I can hardly walk it right now the underbrush is so thick. But, when I'm finished, I'll invite you over to check it out. It's not going to blow your mind, but I am excited about the potential.

Have fun buddy. GE can be a great tool fof disc golf. Saves a ton of time, money, and sanity. Helps us find potential spots for dg in seconds and makes the design process less of a headache so you can focus on making the best course you can with what your given to work with.