• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need feedback on Course Map Design

chuckading

I'm about to upload a map of a course to the DGCR course page as well as submit a final copy to the parks' director for print, and I'd like any feedback and criticism that I can get. This is just a PNG of the file, I'm submitting a Scalable Vector Graphics file for print.

Questions I have:

Should I make the trees another color other than black?

Too many trees? though, they correspond with google maps

Include my name as illustrator/map designer?

Any icon's too big? too small?

Other pertinent information?

Orientation of tee pads ok? I placed them to indicate direction of throw/hole

Anything else I should address?

Thanks a ton for looking, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Attachments

• LockhartDiscGolfCourse.jpg
    LockhartDiscGolfCourse.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 117
Looks good... one thing I see is that hole 9 could be mistaken for hole 6. If you put #9 and use the number symbol for the rest of the holes problem solved. There are a lot of trees but I think its ok looks a bit cluttered by the trees but if they are thick then it works.

One thing that may be an issue - try printing it with B&W and make sure you have enough contrast. Not that I'd ever do this...but when printing maps from work I am stuck w/ black and white and some maps don't have enough contrast to look "right". Still usable, but not quite right.

Alternately, you could make a B&W version replacing the fairways green with white and it would solve that issue. This would be particularly helpful if the parks dept is going to stock a kiosk with maps...they'll not likely want the cost of color for that purpose.

Looks good, the only suggestion I would have is to have the baskets be in front of the trees, and give a small buffer around the basket where the tree doesn't touch the basket, I think it would give it a cleaner look (unless you are trying to show a basket under the tree canopy purposefully).

Thanks guys very much for the feedback, went back to the course this afternoon and got measurements for each hole using a 100ft measuring tape which I feel are way more accurate than the previous app I used w/ GPS. Thanks for your feedback guys,...

E_Rock25, Thanks for your suggestion :) I wanted to keep the font as large as possible so I put some lines under the 6 and 9 to help with any possible confusion between those two holes.

Timeetyo, I spoke again with park director, he's having a large color map made for a new kiosk that'll be displayed near hole 1. I think a black & white map would be great to have for cheap printing purposes, Thanks for the idea.

pfpro, I cut back on some of the trees on the course area. I wanted to keep holes 4 and 9 look as wooded/technical as they are on the course. I really tried to keep only trees that let someone know there's a tree line, or indicated a tree that must be considered when taking a shot. There are no tree icons on the map that aren't there on the course. I gave some buffer to some of the holes to clean it up and still be able to show that it's under a tree. Should I take more trees off?

Thanks again guys, your feedback is much appreciated.

Chuck,

updated map attached below

Attachments

• LockhartDiscGolfCourseUpdated.jpg
    LockhartDiscGolfCourseUpdated.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 57
Thanks guys very much for the feedback, went back to the course this afternoon and got measurements for each hole using a 100ft measuring tape which I feel are way more accurate than the previous app I used w/ GPS. Thanks for your feedback guys,...

E_Rock25, Thanks for your suggestion :) I wanted to keep the font as large as possible so I put some lines under the 6 and 9 to help with any possible confusion between those two holes.

Timeetyo, I spoke again with park director, he's having a large color map made for a new kiosk that'll be displayed near hole 1. I think a black & white map would be great to have for cheap printing purposes, Thanks for the idea.

pfpro, I cut back on some of the trees on the course area. I wanted to keep holes 4 and 9 look as wooded/technical as they are on the course. I really tried to keep only trees that let someone know there's a tree line, or indicated a tree that must be considered when taking a shot. There are no tree icons on the map that aren't there on the course. I gave some buffer to some of the holes to clean it up and still be able to show that it's under a tree. Should I take more trees off?

Thanks again guys, your feedback is much appreciated.

Chuck,

updated map attached below

I think it looks much cleaner now :thmbup:

Looks good, seems pretty clean and appears to be quite functional... I like it.

One thing that may be an issue - try printing it with B&W and make sure you have enough contrast. Not that I'd ever do this...but when printing maps from work I am stuck w/ black and white and some maps don't have enough contrast to look "right". Still usable, but not quite right.

Alternately, you could make a B&W version replacing the fairways' green with white and it would solve that issue. This would be particularly helpful if the parks dept is going to stock a kiosk with maps...they'll not likely want the cost of color for that purpose.
^ Excellent points about contrast for B&W printing!

Side note: couldn't help but notice how the walk from 7 to 8 screws up flow.

Last edited:
flip the 5, 2 and 4 around for better reading. not a big deal, just bugging me a little. looks better than a lot of other maps I've seen

The new version is really nice. I agree with the black/white contrast. If people printed this, it may just be on a black cartrige printer and it would have to print decently with the contrast. Are there any dedicated out of bounds areas? Roads, past the roads, water? If so, add a bunch of small OB entries on or over the roads or on the water line, or add a note on the bottom of hole list explaining the OB areas.

Latest posts