• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making no progress...

vandyfan

Bogey Member
I throw forehand for the most part but I like to be able to throw backhand as well so I can have a good look no matter what. Here is the problem. I can throw my midrange disc level and very accurate. I would say its my best disc, however I cant throw any other disc backhand. You think its a mental thing? Or do you think its just the disc shape and the way I throw?:confused:

Need more info, bro. By other discs do you mean drivers AND putters? What mid are you throwing? What are your other discs?

It all comes down to what discs you're throwing. If you can't throw your putters well, you probably have some Off Axis Torque, and need to clean up your form. If you can't throw drivers, you probably don't have the technique or arm speed yet, if its both, you might have some OAT and poor form. If putters are decent, I'd look into a dx gazelle or cheetah as a driver for you. Also, check the technique sticky at the topic of this section, everything you'll ever need to know about throwing is there.

Dude, you'll get it, your a human being just like me, we are very similar. I throw backhand sometimes. When I do 60 percent throws turn out alright. Otherwise I fudge. Just practice brother. Back hand is valueable, bit forearm is the envy of every backhand thrower secretly. So work on both dude I have faith

my midrange is a roc and for a driver I tend to use a beast for the majority of the time. I can throw a pretty good putt. My game is pretty good minus the drives (backhand that is). I think maybe my arm speed is off. I think I have more of a constant speed through the whole throw which I know is not good. I guess its back to the disc golf course... and as always thanks for all the comments

Like you, I used to be 100% forehand off the tee, and like you, I realized that it wasn't going to cut it. I started throwing a 170 Champ Road Runner backhand with some success, but still not the 300+ lasers I saw others throwing.

I discovered this forum, and began researching. Found the article on OAT, gave me an incredible insight on the physical principals needed to achieve optimal flight.

I then watched Dan 'Master' Beto's instructional YouTube video (@ 2:26) and it allowed me to study the mechanics of an OATless release using the x-step.

I took the advice of many and 'disced down' throwing mostly mid-ranges (Wasp,Buzz,Comet) and a couple smaller-rimmed drivers (TeeBird,TL).

I've played at least 3 rounds a week, often times more, for the past 6-8 months using the info found here, and my success has been nothing short of impressive! I'm consistently throwing 350' on straight, hyzer, turnover lines, flex-shots, and hyzer-flips. I'm deadly with my mids inside 300' and I laugh at tree gaps, that used to terrify me.

Bad habits before DGCR:
-Trying to 'muscle' the disc using too much arm, not enough wrist.
-Arm was traveling in a arcing path, away from my body
-Dipping back shoulder, Raising front shoulder while attempting a 'flat' release.
-No follow through, finished my throw leaning backwards
-Aggressive footwork, aggressive arm-acceleration

I'm not a pro, but I have shot many pro-rated rounds, and it is all thanks to the information I've collected on this site, that and a lot of practice! I hope this helps you, and I'm sure there are others here more qualified than I to give advice.

I've always felt like if you can throw a putter, you can throw anything.

Practice, practice, practice etc....

The basic tips I give are elbow up, get your shoulder through, use your upper body and hips (not your arm) to throw the disc, and follow through (chase your disc with your opposite hand).

Watch videos of Pro's and there techniques, read articles online and this forum regarding OAT and backhand tips/drills, grab a putter or 2 and play a few rounds with just a putter until you start throwing it smooth and around 200-250ft. Eventually just start going out in an open field and throw some fairways and drivers and see which discs work best with you. Remember distance doesnt come as quick throwing backhand compared to forehand. Id say it takes the average player atleast a year to reach 300ft. throwing bh consistantly while it comes easy for some people or never for others.

Chances are that your problem is that you're a Vanderbilt fan.

vanderbilt-mr.-commodore.jpg

Roll Tide Roll

Latest posts