• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 5 Weight Exercises for Disc Golfers | How I Went From 500ft to 700ft Pt.1

I should mention that a big part of my improvements have been thanks to @sidewinder22 for the patient and consistent help and also to @Brychanus, anyways here's a video of some bang-for-your-buck weight training exercises I find great for the backhand throw! I hope it's helpful for you all and thank you for dropping by.

82mph and 740' is obviously NOT fucking around. Good work man and thanks for the video. Keep at it!

🤝 thank you!!
Seriously, fucking epic.

CBVKlQr.gif

Also, anything I said that helped is from the vantage point of standing on the shoulders of giants. Excited to see you keeping at it, and so thrilled for you.

These also seemed like an appropriate spot to relink some of Spencer Strider's development in pitching, which is a great story in working both on the body and mechanics for gains. I'm liking to see you working on single/split leg exercises and those that heavily recruit the posterior chain.

Seriously, fucking epic.

CBVKlQr.gif

Also, anything I said that helped is from the vantage point of standing on the shoulders of giants. Excited to see you keeping at it, and so thrilled for you.

These also seemed like an appropriate spot to relink some of Spencer Strider's development in pitching, which is a great story in working both on the body and mechanics for gains. I'm liking to see you working on single/split leg exercises and those that heavily recruit the posterior chain.

It's been a lot of fun, and I'm remotivated to chip away at the form tips you guys have provided, perhaps go for 90 mph/800 ft if I can find more gains somewhere.

I'm vaguely familiar with Strider, I remember he was pretty keen on smart physical prep methods so that will be a great read! Thanks for linking it.

This is what happens, when you get an absolute unit, with great form.

Great stuff dude and thanks for the video, I'm sure it'll be helpful to a lot of people, specially those that hit the gym already!

That title isn't clickbait at all.

Shouldn't it be "I gained 200 feet by cleaning up my form and doing core exercise" ??

I should mention that a big part of my improvements have been thanks to @sidewinder22 for the patient and consistent help and also to @Brychanus, anyways here's a video of some bang-for-your-buck weight training exercises I find great for the backhand throw! I hope it's helpful for you all and thank you for dropping by.

Being the elitist that I am.... I started watching this expecting it would be all wrong... but you nailed it. Well done! Most people try to mimic the throwing motion (which is usually a bad idea). CNS activation and targeting fast twitch fibers is the smart way to go.

This is what happens, when you get an absolute unit, with great form.

Great stuff dude and thanks for the video, I'm sure it'll be helpful to a lot of people, specially those that hit the gym already!
Thank you for the kind words and I really appreciate the support!

That title isn't clickbait at all.

Shouldn't it be "I gained 200 feet by cleaning up my form and doing core exercise" ??
I can see where you are coming from but I'm not sure I fully understand, since it's a multi part series the form stuff is going to be in later episodes, and I think holistically everything I did contributed almost equally to the improvements (S&C work, form work, flexibility, etc).

Being the elitist that I am.... I started watching this expecting it would be all wrong... but you nailed it. Well done! Most people try to mimic the throwing motion (which is usually a bad idea). CNS activation and targeting fast twitch fibers is the smart way to go.
Thank you for watching and for the feedback! It's good to hear you liked the approach, I've always had good results in sprinting and disc golf with doing the simpler more powerful exercises rather than the "sport specific" stuff that gets overly technical and not even sport specific enough.

And I should say that lot of it is inspired by great track and S&C coaches such as Charlie Francis etc, I can't even take the credit for many of the ideas I present here.

That's true.
And correct.

I watch people do these exercises to "get better" and loll a bit about them.

You'd get more from doing yoga for your disc golf than you would trying to mimic the forehand throw or something like that with a weight machine.

That's true.
And correct.

You'd get more from doing yoga for your disc golf than you would trying to mimic the forehand throw or something like that with a weight machine.
Couldn't agree more haha.
And speaking of flexibility work I'm hoping to get a video on dynamic warmup and mobility work into this series since I know it can attenuate bottlenecks, especially for naturally stiff movers like myself + the instant free gains of a good neural and physical warmup before a round or fieldwork.

That's true.
And correct.

I would say yoga is maybe the single best thing you could do for an activity that will benefit your disc golf game. Super underrated.

I will also say that throwing 82mph is insane and frankly, a little upsetting.

I would say yoga is maybe the single best thing you could do for an activity that will benefit your disc golf game. Super underrated.

😂 thank you.

And you are spot on, and sadly stuff like yoga gets a certain stigma because it's such a slow movement or is popular with certain age groups, but it is so good for learning how to relax and lengthen muscles while using good breathing practices under physical stress!

Well, if we apply internet logic. It's realistically 62.
Because just like with internet distance, where we subtract 200, we always subtract 20 from claimed "disc speed"

And for you metric wankers out there.
-80kph.
Cause.
Metric is only cool when you use it for the good of humanity.

Just skipped through it as I cant watch all of it but just wanted to say that this is great. Detailed reasons for the different exercises along with showing them is as good as it gets.

Just skipped through it as I cant watch all of it but just wanted to say that this is great. Detailed reasons for the different exercises along with showing them is as good as it gets.
Thank you!!

I still wish I could have condensed the video more, but was unable to shorten it without sacrificing the depth of technique explanation I felt comfortable with to keep people healthy and safe when they try these lifts for the first time.

I may still get the video-to-text transcript into a document that I can link there so people can read it at their convenience though.

I'm shooting for future installments to the series to be much shorter and digestible as well (y)

Finally got around to watching it and doing most exercises (cant really do jump squats without annoyin people below me and dont have equipment for dips)

I heard about cable trunk rotation before but never got around to doing them. Seeing them explained by a discgolfer is great as you can point out why they are beneficial and also give some discgolf specific cues.

My main motivation is to do exercise so I wont hurt myself. Do you think there is some kind of threshold I should cross here either in being able to do the exercises with some weight or is it more that I should go through them every week to keep everything good?

I also see myself not being able to add much weight to the exercises due to lack of equipment at home and a lack of a gym membership. Should I continue for example the dumbbell row with just the weight I have even when it becomes easy for me?

And finally, not entirely related to the video: do you think it makes sense to prioritise mobility/stretching over strength when im not that mobile? Anything you would target here specifically for discgolf?

Finally got around to watching it and doing most exercises (cant really do jump squats without annoyin people below me and dont have equipment for dips)

I heard about cable trunk rotation before but never got around to doing them. Seeing them explained by a discgolfer is great as you can point out why they are beneficial and also give some discgolf specific cues.

My main motivation is to do exercise so I wont hurt myself. Do you think there is some kind of threshold I should cross here either in being able to do the exercises with some weight or is it more that I should go through them every week to keep everything good?

I also see myself not being able to add much weight to the exercises due to lack of equipment at home and a lack of a gym membership. Should I continue for example the dumbbell row with just the weight I have even when it becomes easy for me?

And finally, not entirely related to the video: do you think it makes sense to prioritise mobility/stretching over strength when im not that mobile? Anything you would target here specifically for discgolf?
Glad to hear you were able to try them! I wouldn't worry too much about not doing the trap bar deads or jump squats - the single-leg squats will still provide tons of benefits for your leg strength for now.

For a general rule of thumb you can follow - try to establish good technique first, then increase the weight to the limit of what your technique can sustain. After that, you can progressively overload by increasing the weight on a week-to-week (or when possible) basis. I give more detail in this supplementary doc:
Weekly Programming Supplement For Disc Golf Video

It is ok to have a "good" sore the day or two after, but you want to look out for the "bad" sore, especially if it is recurring. If you want to be extra safe, you can start off doing sets of 12 and then increase the weight and work down to sets of 7 when more comfortable.

If you are unable to access heavier weights, you can continue increasing the rep count (of each set) as your method of progressive overload. Make sure to still move explosively on the concentric portion (way up) of the movement, and you can also push the last set to failure to tap more into fast-twitch fibers when the weights aren't heavy.

Great question! I recommend doing both concurrently because stretching can sometimes just dampen our nervous system's response to muscle lengthening which can increase injury risk. So ideally, we will develop length and strength at the same time.

I'm hoping to make a video on the mobility side of things as a part of this series before too long :) generally, some good starting points for dynamic stretches/exercises are anything that improves hip internal rotation, trunk rotation, dorsiflexion, and general shoulder mobility (off the top of my head).

Latest posts