• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 Biohacks for Instant Disc Golf Gains | How I Went From 500ft to 700ft Pt.2

Have you ever tried building up the arch? My feet used to be (might still be) pretty flat but when knee problems flared up PT made me do a couple of exercises to build up the arch in my foot which also changed the way I stand as knees are more outward now than they used to be without the arch.
Not in any systematic way. I think wearing some arch supported trail running shoes when I got pretty into that may have corrected some of it. Or a combo of wearing those and working out in that way! Still pretty flat though. I haven't ever felt held back though!

Not in any systematic way. I think wearing some arch supported trail running shoes when I got pretty into that may have corrected some of it. Or a combo of wearing those and working out in that way! Still pretty flat though. I haven't ever felt held back though!
Well when there are no problems, there is nothing to fix.

Sorry if I'm blasting the self-promotion in this forum too hard with the posts of my videos, wanted to get this in here ASAP because I'm optimistic it may have some great bang-for-buck value to help with people's practice!

Hope you enjoy and please let me know what you think or if you have any questions :)

I know everyone needs a buzzword these days to be visible. I had no problem with that because I found the presentation and content to be very clear, digestible, and as far as I can tell, accurate.

I like long format videos that have a clear structure and just enough detail to make the deeper points clear. Your content seems to be filling a niche for athletically-minded people who want a little more "meat" on the bones for the main ideas. I think it will also be accessible to people who struggle with the "right kind" of athleticism for disc golf in one way or another.

I had encountered most of the ideas before, but I like your cadence, pacing, and style of presenting - specifically when you make little motions of the body while talking to express what you are trying to say. I learned a few things or understood a few things a bit differently just listening to you talk and watching you move a bit.

Appreciate you making and sharing it :)

Have you ever tried building up the arch? My feet used to be (might still be) pretty flat but when knee problems flared up PT made me do a couple of exercises to build up the arch in my foot which also changed the way I stand as knees are more outward now than they used to be without the arch.
Just speaking to my flat-footed, poorly lower body-conditioned crew:

After I had a lot of issues coming out of the pandemic, my PT had me do a lot of training like monster and duck walks with the band around the ankles, and forward, sideways, and reverse resistance cable walks against machines.

It generally got me more used to bearing load resisting near the balls of the feet and the arches of my feet visibly improved as they strengthened, and it took some strain off my knees, etc. I was also far less likely to suffer a random ankle twist on the course hiking around.

I added a lot of weighted striding or walking lunges with dumbbells this winter, which has continued to build on the original PT gains and made me less likely to hurt myself when throwing.

Last edited:
I know everyone needs a buzzword these days to be visible. I had no problem with that because I found the presentation and content to be very clear, digestible, and as far as I can tell, accurate.

I like long format videos that have a clear structure and just enough detail to make the deeper points clear. Your content seems to be filling a niche for athletically-minded people who want a little more "meat" on the bones for the main ideas. I think it will also be accessible to people who struggle with the "right kind" of athleticism for disc golf in one way or another.

I had encountered most of the ideas before, but I like your cadence, pacing, and style of presenting - specifically when you make little motions of the body while talking to express what you are trying to say. I learned a few things or understood a few things a bit differently just listening to you talk and watching you move a bit.

Thank you for the really kind words! Much appreciated.

And I'm glad to hear the style was digestible and that you found it helpful :) hopefully sooner than later I can delve into more tutorial stuff and can mix that in with my vlog/field work content releases.

Just speaking to my flat-footed, poorly lower body-conditioned crew:

After I had a lot of issues coming out of the pandemic, my PT had me do a lot of training like monster and duck walks with the band around the ankles, and forward, sideways, and reverse resistance cable walks against machines.

It generally got me more used to bearing load resisting near the balls of the feet and the arches of my feet visibly improved as they strengthened, it took some strain came off my knees, etc. I was also far less likely to suffer a random ankle twist on the course hiking around.

I added a lot of weighted striding or walking lunges with dumbbells over the winter, which has continued to build on the original PT gains and made me less likely to hurt myself when throwing.
I never had issues with flat feet, but I will say that I noticed a big difference in my joint health and the way my feet felt after workouts when I transitioned being a heel-toe runner to a toe-strike runner (essentially your balls-of-the-feet work). I did that back when I was in my late 20s, and I think its made a big difference in my ability to continue to function athletically at a decent level as I now come up on 40.

Tangentially - have you ever heard of "kneesovertoesguy"? Thats the YouTube channel of a guy named Ben Patrick. His stuff for lower body is pretty great.

About the question on how loose is someone deadlifting. I've totalled 1505 at 198 in 2 PL meets. I'm not a great puller but I've cleared 6 in both.

I'm am so tight/filled with tension after pulling the slack out of the bar it would be uncomfortable to remain there.

Now, if you watch John Haack pull 9, he looks wayyy looser than me but I imagine he still has an insane amount of tightness and bracing.

Kind of off topic but close enough.

I keep learning about what people do and expect between throwing sessions in other sports.

This article is nearly 20 years old but it was neat to read about training and recovery phases in pitchers, and how their behavior and coaching changes day to day depending on how they're feeling and functioning.

Some of the comments at the time were pointing out that by the end of High School, many people who didn't have the body to throw 100+ pitches at high speeds at a time had already been weeded out, and you are already seeing unicorns at the college level.

I keep learning about what people do and expect between throwing sessions in other sports.

This article is nearly 20 years old but it was neat to read about training and recovery phases in pitchers, and how their behavior and coaching changes day to day depending on how they're feeling and functioning.

The weightlifting that occurs during a season with many, many throwing days is typically fairly light and for maintenance to avoid muscle cramping and tightness/steeper damage recovery cycles.

Some of the comments at the time were pointing out that by the end of High School, many people who didn't have the body to throw 100+ pitches at a time at high speeds had already been weeded out, and you are already seeing unicorns at the college level.

The weightlifting that occurs during a season with many, many throwing days is typically fairly light and for maintenance to avoid muscle cramping and tightness/steeper damage recovery cycles.

Some of the comments at the time were pointing out that by the end of High School, many people who didn't have the body to throw 100+ pitches at a time at high speeds had already been weeded out, and you are already seeing unicorns at the college level.
That was a cool read. Dudes pretty much use every recovery tool available and even with that it's pretty impressive they survive starting pitching outings.

About the question on how loose is someone deadlifting. I've totalled 1505 at 198 in 2 PL meets. I'm not a great puller but I've cleared 6 in both.

I'm am so tight/filled with tension after pulling the slack out of the bar it would be uncomfortable to remain there.

Now, if you watch John Haack pull 9, he looks wayyy looser than me but I imagine he still has an insane amount of tightness and bracing.
1505 total is extremely beastly. You may have one of the highest PL numbers in all of disc golf, I know Clint (500ft standstill throw guy) has a 13 something total with a deadlift in the mid 5's and then I'm down in the low 5's (skinny sprinter with long femur struggles). It's nice to have that horsepower you must have from your raw strength.

It is interesting to see guys like John Haack do such a quick dynamic start/load into the bar that it almost looks like a grip and rip, but then he has such ridiculous back strength he's able to maintain posture.

Eh, I'm a manlet at 5'8", so lifting is probably just easier for me than it is other people. I have a good total until someone with an actual good total shows up.
I can say, I have a touring pro friend, who I caddy for a couple stops each year, so I know atleast a chunk of Pro's on tour, and almost every single one of them is completely 100% untrained. I have only met 2 pro's, brodie and Tamm who actually looked like they have some level of training. Ezra is very lean and in great shape but is really small for his frame. If I had to pick from the ones Ive had an interaction with, id grab GG, Ezra Robison and Gavin Babcock, are who I would want to train. They all seem to have the frame for moving weight well.

Eh, I'm a manlet at 5'8", so lifting is probably just easier for me than it is other people. I have a good total until someone with an actual good total shows up.
I can say, I have a touring pro friend, who I caddy for a couple stops each year, so I know atleast a chunk of Pro's on tour, and almost every single one of them is completely 100% untrained. I have only met 2 pro's, brodie and Tamm who actually looked like they have some level of training. Ezra is very lean and in great shape but is really small for his frame. If I had to pick from the ones Ive had an interaction with, id grab GG, Ezra Robison and Gavin Babcock, are who I would want to train. They all seem to have the frame for moving weight well.
I haven't competed in almost a decade, but I did a mock meet a few weeks back and hit about 370 DOTS, and I don't think I've maxed out the benefits of pure strength training, though I've definitely hit some diminishing returns. I'd guess something like a 400-450 ought to do it, or maybe a bw multiplier might be a better estimate for dg 🤷‍♀️

Latest posts