• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako?

BACKhand13

Bogey Member
I'm looking into getting a new mid-range disc or two.

Almost positive I'm going to get an X or ESP Buzzz. But was just wondering if anyone has thrown a Mako and liked how it throws?

It's a good disc. Glides well and goes straight when thrown well. If you have a big arm you can turn it over though. I like it OK, but my new Latitude Fuse has really made the Mako expendable to me. I like the grip on the Fuse better. Some people may like the Mako. It just depends on your personal preference.

definitely a very controllable, previous to the mako i was using rocs and having some success but it took a while to beat them in. the advantage to the mako is straight out of the box it will hold any line you want it to anny,straight or hyzer and will hold those characteristics for a long time

I decided to try a Mako at the beginning of this season and have gone back to my Z Buzzz...........the Buzzz seems more controlable for me. I am using the Mako for windy putts now and it seems to work better for me in that application. I think it may be a grip thing but I just like the Buzzz better.

I have a Mako and a Comet in my bag, and I definitely prefer my Comet.

That being said, I like Makos better than Rocs (gasp!)...well, not a perfectly beat in Roc, but I like Makos fresh to beat in.

I have a buzzz and a Mako, I like them both. I guess it depends on the mood I'm in, but I've been known to drive with the Mako more than the Buzzz.

How similar are mako and buzzz? Too much overlap

My star mako is MUCH flippier than my Z buzzz. (both pretty new.) Good compliment actually, will take different lines. Mako is easy to throw very far or throw a long anheiser--just holds it--seems more predictable on the anny actually.

BoooYah with the MAKO

I got a Star Mako and decided to play a whole round with it to get to know it. It would hold the same angle that it left my hand in and go as told, but straight if thrown flat and straight. So by hole 7 (189 ft) I said to my bro "Im just going to throw it straight at the basket" and BAM!! My first ACE EVER!!!

It was awesome but I don't use it much anymore. If I didn't throw it just right it would turn over on me. I like mid-ranges that are quite over stable (Wasp, Gator, Cro) so I always know they will predictably come back.

I have not figured out my mako either. It's almost too straight if that's possible I tend to turn it over when thrown flat. I don't think it's like the coyote at all despite what many say

optidiscic;. I don't think it's like the coyote at all despite what many say[/QUOTE said:
I agree completely w/ that statement, as I have a Coyote and use it on a regular basis.
Having said that, I recently acquired a Star Mako in a tourney payout...it will fly straight as a lazer for a long distance when thrown properly. Interesting to see how it will hold up after nailing trees :gross:

Ace on my very first throw with the Mako...so It's in my bag now. Use it for long putts and approach shots. But I also love the Panther a bit more.

I throw a buzz and a mako.
it feels like the mako doesn't do as well in a headwind. Also, the mako just "feels" better in my hands. It's almost like throwing a frisbee.

I liked the Mako for long approach shots that I needed control on. I didn't particularly like the disc when I was trying to throw it with any power. Its just too flippy at high speeds for my game.

Mako is very easy to overpower which is why it will turn over. I don't like using it off the tee.

I do like it for longer putts, anny approaches, and it's great to warm up with if you are having catch with a buddy.

Had a Mako for about a week and traded it. It was OK, but I had more sucess with a putter

So, the general consensus is that: Makos are great for longer approach shots, windy long putts, will hold pretty much any line you put it on, but will also turnover with more power.

I need a midrange that isn't gonna flip on me without me wanting it to do so...I'm not that controlled just yet. So I think I will start giving Discraft some business and get a Buzzz or a Comet.

I exclusively throw Innova and want to branch out a bit...so, any advice on good mid ranges from Discraft?

I love my Mako off the tee.
I usually throw it about 200' to 250 from the tee and it is much more forgiving than my drivers.
It is not necessarily a disc for strong arms, but if you're only throwing it 200-250', it won't turn over.
It will hold any line you put it on. If your release it hyzer or anny, it will not come out of that line until very late.
Not a great wind disc at speed.
As for Discraft mid-ranges that won't come back, Wasp or Drone.
As for the Comet, they are less stable but will glide better than a Mako. It will not come back from an anny line.
The Buzzz is like a Roc, with the Wasp being more stable than the Buzzz or Roc.

Last edited:
I need a midrange that isn't gonna flip on me without me wanting it to do so...I'm not that controlled just yet. So I think I will start giving Discraft some business and get a Buzzz or a Comet.

I exclusively throw Innova and want to branch out a bit...so, any advice on good mid ranges from Discraft?

If you're not that controlled then go for a Buzzz over a Comet. The Comet takes great form to throw well and will flip easily with OAT. The Z Buzzz is nice and stable. You should be able to rip on it pretty hard before it turns.

The Buzzz is Discraft's flagship mid. The Comet is great if you have good form and a clean release...which is why so many people recommend using it as a form diagnostic disc. The Wasp is a Buzzz with a bead. It is more stable (both HSS and LSS), but it doesn't glide as well. It would also take years to beat a Wasp to straight. If you use it enough, a Z Buzzz can become straight in a few months to a year. If you're looking for a turnover mid, the Meteor is your friend. The Drone is wicked overstable, but I'd rather power down a PD or XXX (or your driver of choice).