• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man dies while playing disc golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of us with no direct experience with how a power co deals with problems(myself at least) seem to be differentiating between FIXING a problem(i.e. restoring power) and DEACTIVATING a live line. I've always been under the impression that the the latter would be a quick operation and could, in some cases, be done from the CO(this is based on conversations I've had with AL Power operators). If that were the case, the logical order of priority would be:

1) Deactivate any live lines - eliminate immediate danger
2) Restore power to affected areas in whatever priority order.

But based on the comments from those in this thread with direct experience, the implication here(because it hasn't been explicitly stated) is that these 2 operations are either one and the same, or they are treated as such. The implication is that a downed line is treated as an outage, and prioritized among all other outages and worked accordingly.

Can the power co guys confirm this? A power co really can't/doesn't distinguish between a downed live line and a general outage?

A downed line and an outage are not the same. An outage is lack of electrical power reaching a load/customer and is caused by "something" - too many things to list. A downed line is one of many reason that could cause an outage. In this case, it didn't - if there was an outage, the line would have been de-energized, but since it was energized/live, there was no outage at that point.

Unless you are actually seeing it with your eyes, the power company would have no knowledge (in general - the exact details are too complicated to get into here) of a downed line that remained energized. Even if they knew about the downed line (visual confirmation, phone call from general public, etc.), they wouldn't necessarily be able to tell from their control center if it was live or not. As long as the "main line" that was feeding that "little line" was still up and running and there were no intelligent devices (meters, sensors, etc.) in the right spot to send info back to the control center, everything would look normal to them. It sounds crazy, but a downed live line is much more difficult to detect than a downed de-energized line.

Sorry if this still doesn't clear it up. I find it very difficult to explain this stuff - since I'm in this field, it just "makes sense" to me, even though I know it's not the case for everyone.

This is the internet, welcome to 2013. If you dont/didnt like what I had say, feel free to view another thread. I get very annoyed with people like you who have most likely never done this kinda work and think you know what should have been done. Until you have done it, dont argue with people who have!

Exactly how often do you get into (read: initiate) internet slap fights about the power/electricity and maintenance business?

If its often enough that you get mad about it "everytime" someone brings its up who hasnt worked in that field, i feel sorry for you. Maybe you should learn to use your words more.

Or, go buy a snickers

Exactly how often do you get into (read: initiate) internet slap fights about the power/electricity and maintenance business?

If its often enough that you get mad about it "everytime" someone brings its up who hasnt worked in that field, i feel sorry for you. Maybe you should learn to use your words more.

Or, go buy a snickers

internet fights...not often, face to face verbal arguements....everyday. I think its funny when people like you tell me how Im wrong....

I mean what do I know, its my first day on the job. :doh:

1000s of customers in one area without power take priority over a down power line in a park.

This blows my mind. How does a lack of power take priority over a potentially lethal downed line? If you would have asked the 1,000 people, "which is more important, your electricity, or the life of anyone who visits the park tonight?", I'm sure they would be willing to go without power so that the kid could live another day.

How can convenience ever take precedence over safety?

If there's a live line down in somewhere that a kid could stumble onto it, it shouldn't matter if 1,000 or 1,000,000 people have to go a couple DAYS without power until it's fixed.

It's electricity people, not oxygen.

After reading this thread I am trying to figure out how he got electricuted in the first please. If you know anything about electricity (which by the sounds of it, most of you don't) you have to be in contact with a ground to get electricuted. So unless he was bare foot and steped on this line he sould not of gotten electricuted, rubber is not a conductor so voltage would not of travled thru it to him. Sounds like there is more to this story then the media is revealing. Possible he went and touched an end? From the looks of that aerial photo this type of wire was triplex and is already insulated, so if power line was down, just "stepping" on it would not of done anything due to no exposed wire.

Would you, as a lineman working to restore power, be willing to forego your safety harness and grounding tools, just so that 1,000 people could have power a little bit sooner?

Because, if not, then you must value your own life more than the power of those 1,000 people. It's too bad you wouldn't also value the life of someone in the park so highly.

This blows my mind. How does a lack of power take priority over a potentially lethal downed line? If you would have asked the 1,000 people, "which is more important, your electricity, or the life of anyone who visits the park tonight?", I'm sure they would be willing to go without power so that the kid could live another day.

How can convenience ever take precedence over safety?

If there's a live line down in somewhere that a kid could stumble onto it, it shouldn't matter if 1,000 or 1,000,000 people have to go a couple DAYS without power until it's fixed.

It's electricity people, not oxygen.

I see where you are coming from. But that one downed line isnt paying the workers/trucks/supplies/etc....the customers are.

Im sure some people are out there saying fix it first (yeah right), but there are alot more who want theirs fixed first since they are paying, which is what the power company will do.

If everyone here had a power outage in their area and they told you it would take 2-4 more days before they can fix you because they have a downed line in a park they need to fix first....wouldnt you be a little upset having to pay that 150.00 + bill a month? I know I would.

I see where you are coming from. But that one downed line isnt paying the workers/trucks/supplies/etc....the customers are.

The lawsuit that's inevitably on its way isn't paying the workers/trucks/suppliers either.

Everything is a conductor when the voltage is high enough. It's called dielectric breakdown.

Which is why I'm so baffled that they wouldn't make a live wire a priority, especially since they apparently were informed it was there.

The lawsuit that's inevitably on its way isn't paying the workers/trucks/suppliers either.

The family better hope they have a better lawyer than the power company. Because to me it sounds like trespassing. 3am? Parked outside the park? If the park was open, wouldnt he have parked inside?

After reading this thread I am trying to figure out how he got electricuted in the first please. If you know anything about electricity (which by the sounds of it, most of you don't) you have to be in contact with a ground to get electricuted. So unless he was bare foot and steped on this line he sould not of gotten electricuted, rubber is not a conductor so voltage would not of travled thru it to him. Sounds like there is more to this story then the media is revealing. Possible he went and touched an end? From the looks of that aerial photo this type of wire was triplex and is already insulated, so if power line was down, just "stepping" on it would not of done anything due to no exposed wire.
Good God, now the conspiracy theorists are showing up. :rolleyes:

Media reports have stated that the deceased tripped over the wire and got tangled in it by his ankle. Most people generally wear shorts this time of year (hence bare skin). Generally when you trip, you fall down, and maybe attempt to break your fall with your hands (hence more bare skin).

So energized electric line to ankle...
ankle through the body to the hand...
hand to ground...

...likely equals an electrocution.

Why was the guy trespassing in a park after dark after a storm? It is a tragedy that he died, no doubt, but he shouldn't have been there at that time under those conditions. The circular speculation by all the "experts" makes my head hurt.

The family better hope they have a better lawyer than the power company. Because to me it sounds like trespassing. 3am? Parked outside the park? If the park was open, wouldnt he have parked inside?

12 hours to fix a lethal power line and didn't? I'm sure a lot of great attorneys are licking their lips at the thought of an easy win. They might even cite this case.

From what we understand, the young man was at the Kenny Chesney concert being held at the Chiefs football arena. The show was postponed until after the storm. So it started late and ended late. He probably was pumped up from the concert (I have no idea why.. I mean Kenny Chesney? really?) and decided to hit the course for a little late night play. He was new to the game of Disc Golf but had a lot of passion already built up for it.

Also I don't know if it was covered yet or not, but NO ONE had responded to this downed power line until 4am after the tragedy. The officials for the tournament called multiple times during the afternoon and then 3 times at 10pm when they went back to see if it had been taken care of. Which it had not. The park was "closed" but not blocked off in anyway that would make you think there was anything out of the ordinary like a downed power line.

Consider Joe Greedy and his company Acme Mining Inc.:

Joe started a mining operation in Mexico and ships the product to the U.S. for use in our processing plants. But, his mining operation leaves huge chasms in the ground in Mexico. Children have died from falling into the chasms, but Joe Greedy isn't concerned. Those children are not purchasers of his product. If he was to halt production to fill in these chasms, his clients would have to go without their product for a few days. So, he continues to allow children to fall into his chasms because he loves the profits so dearly. And, thankfully to Joe's lawyer, the "No Tresspassing" sign relieves him of all legal responsibility in Mexico.

This is a fictional example of profits allowing people to forego their concern for the safety of others. To me, this sounds very similar to the electrocution in question.

1,000 customers with power VS. some wandering child's life.

Consider Joe Greedy and his company Acme Mining Inc.:

Joe started a mining operation in Mexico and ships the product to the U.S. for use in our processing plants. But, his mining operation leaves huge chasms in the ground in Mexico. Children have died from falling into the chasms, but Joe Greedy isn't concerned. Those children are not purchasers of his product. If he was to halt production to fill in these chasms, his clients would have to go without their product for a few days. So, he continues to allow children to fall into his chasms because he loves the profits so dearly. And, thankfully to Joe's lawyer, the "No Tresspassing" sign relieves him of all legal responsibility in Mexico.

This is a fictional example of profits allowing people to forego their concern for the safety of others. To me, this sounds very similar to the electrocution in question.

1,000 customers with power VS. some wandering child's life.

Welcome to what the world has become...

Yeah I live where power goes out quite frequently and my neighbors and I always call the power company to encourage them to go out and make sure all the parks and enternainment areas are fixed before our houses. Also we only call them once and don't bother them even if it takes days to get power to our homes back.

Pretty sure this case will be dragged out by the power company for much longer than the victim's family wants to really fight for, then they'll settle for a sum much less than anyone of the victim's family members thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts