• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Mantis opinions please!

Yeah, their website sux.

I had an Ace Race 150g Mantis in Ti that was pretty beefy like S-PD almost. My lil bro borrowed it and got his first ace with it, so I gave it to him. FH ace on Rockburn hole 7, couldn't believe it. That hole has been my nemesis. Last year all his discs and his friend's discs got creamed by a cement truck.

I have a couple Badfish tourney stamped Z Mantis that are crazy overstable, almost like a Firebird. Also have Badfish Z Heats that fly like Champ Teebird3s. I picked up a regular production Z Mantis and Z Heat because I liked my Badfish ones fly, but then I could not believe how much less stable they are. I agree the regular production Heat was similar to FD and Mantis similar to XL.

I recall the AR Ti's being quite OS (thought the Viking comparisons in that year's AR thread seemed valid), and that the production Z and Big Z were considerably less stable... basically filling completely different slots in in a bag. Forgotten there were some particularly beefy ones out there until I read Sidewinder's post.

I got a local tourney stamped Cryztal Z in the 150's that's FAF and crazy OS... moreso than any Z Predator I've thrown.

The more I throw the mantis the more I find myself reaching for it. It's a very intuitive driver for me, I don't have to think about how to get the line I want out of it even after just a few weeks with it. I like to throw a lot of hyzer flips and turnover and it just feels like the disc was made for my style of play.

It's a mainstay in my bag from now on. Pairs really well with the undertaker for me.

Any experience with non ace race Ti? I got one with a tourney stamp from an event during last summer, so assuming it's new, but didn't think there were ever production Ti run. Between family, health, and weather, I haven't gotten a chance to throw it. Wondering if it'll be beefy or flippy.

What's the difference between a mantis and an undertaker? The flight charts look almost identical.

What's the difference between a mantis and an undertaker? The flight charts look almost identical.

I feel like a Mantis has potential to be a nice understable "long fairway." The Undertaker has some high speed turn but only if thrown pretty full power or into a headwind, and it has a pretty good end fade. That's my 2 cents having thrown both. I haven't looked at any flight charts and haven't thrown a Mantis recently. Maybe I'm relying too much on how MJ uses the Mantis.

They definitely aren't the same. I'd say the mantis is a -1.5 hss and the undertaker is a -0.5. I can power up the undertaker and it will flip up but not over and have some fade at the end. A mantis will flip over if I get on it too hard and it won't fight out of it.

The mantis I've been throwing is a 172 z and 176 glow z, and the undertaker are 175 z flx and 169 z.

They definitely aren't the same. I'd say the mantis is a -1.5 hss and the undertaker is a -0.5. I can power up the undertaker and it will flip up but not over and have some fade at the end. A mantis will flip over if I get on it too hard and it won't fight out of it.

This is in line with my experience. I have a Big Z and X Mantis and a Z Undertaker. Most of the time I will throw the Undertaker but when I feel tired it is Mantis time.

I picked up an X Mantis to go with my Ti. The X is like a Comet, no turn very little fade.
I already have a Crave in my bag, the X Mantis was a slower fligjt, but with more glide, than the Crave, even though thay ended up about the same place.
The X Mantis is out of the bag.
Did I get a freak X? It had a super high dome.

This is in line with my experience. I have a Big Z and X Mantis and a Z Undertaker. Most of the time I will throw the Undertaker but when I feel tired it is Mantis time.

I'm finding more the opposite for me. Most of the time I throw the mantis, unless it's windy or need a stronger finish. Maybe my age is starting to a catch up with me :D

Did I get a freak X? It had a super high dome.

My X Mantis is really domey...like a bowl.

I'm finding more the opposite for me. Most of the time I throw the mantis, unless it's windy or need a stronger finish. Maybe my age is starting to a catch up with me :D

The way I read this is you usually throw the Mantis but when you get tired you throw the Undertaker!

My middle age arm throws fairway drivers between 275' & 325'. Thrown flat, my fairway set heading into the 2018 season looks like: Undertaker for straight with fade at the end; Big Z Mantis for turn-and-return straight finish; and the X Mantis for finishing to the right. This could change, of course, but the lineup served me well for most of 2017.

Mantis X has been like a longer Pro Leopard. Your experience may differ.

So what I'm hearing is that the undertaker is more stable? It wouldn't be overlap to bag both? How would either compare to a pipeline or heat?

So what I'm hearing is that the undertaker is more stable? It wouldn't be overlap to bag both? How would either compare to a pipeline or heat?

Yes, the undertaker has less turn and more fade, imo. I feel like having both is kind of similar to having both an FD and teebird in your bag. You *can* throw the same shots with them but sometimes it's just easier to have options.

Is the Undertaker anywhere near the Ace Race version of the Mantis?
At some point I will need a replacement, and I know nothing that flys like it....maybe a light Resistor

Is the Undertaker anywhere near the Ace Race version of the Mantis?
At some point I will need a replacement, and I know nothing that flys like it....maybe a light Resistor
No. :\

Actually it might qualify "anywhere near." It's not "just like" but it might be "anywhere near."

Last edited:
No. :\

Actually it might qualify "anywhere near." It's not "just like" but it might be "anywhere near."

I found someone whom had a couple Ace Race Manti that looked unthrown...I picked them up.

I now have a Ace Race Mantis cycle started. This should get me through a couple more seasons before I have to find a replacement.

I lost my backup/practice Z Mantis and am thinking about replacing it with a new stock TI Mantis. Do they fly the same?

Latest posts