• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Mantis opinions please!

The production ti we have are all super domey. More dome than I've ever seen on a disc. I didn't bother grabbing one since I prefer flat discs. It's probably 150%+ of the height of a normal mantis.

The production ti we have are all super domey. More dome than I've ever seen on a disc. I didn't bother grabbing one since I prefer flat discs. It's probably 150%+ of the height of a normal mantis.

same dome as all the big Z I've thrown. I prefer the domey ones, they glide more and don't turn as abruptly.

Anyone able to say whether a Mantis flies similarly to a TL, FD, or some other Innova fairway that I might be able to relate to?

Anyone able to say whether a Mantis flies similarly to a TL, FD, or some other Innova fairway that I might be able to relate to?

neutral Thunderbird maybe...faster than a TeeBird though...
Someone asked what driver is the most like a Comet and MJ answered Mantis

Mine(X plastic) has no turn and gentle, sweeping fade

Last edited:
I don't throw Mantis, I throw Cyclone. And actually, I throw swirl Cyclones which are more stable than ordinary Cyclones. Mantis might be longer than Cyclone, but I'm old skool and throw those beautyful blue swirl Cyclones.

Is the Undertaker anywhere near the Ace Race version of the Mantis?
At some point I will need a replacement, and I know nothing that flys like it....maybe a light Resistor

Have you tried one of the CryZtal Sparkle runs of the Mantis? Those things are pretty beefy.

sorry to change course a little here, but I have a mystery I need help solving that I think involves a Mantis...

Long story short, I bought a x-out Z Undertaker from Marshall Street Disc Golf on 4/12/18. Having nothing to compare it to, I just assumed this disc was what it was listed (it's an event stamp, and the mold name is not raised on the inside of the rim...), but upon getting Big-Z and Z Undertakers, it is clear to me that the disc MSDG sent me is very much not an Undertaker.

The red disc is the mystery disc that I think is a Mantis. Both of the non-red discs in the photos are both Undertakers.

https://imgur.com/jTg1cnK
https://imgur.com/skTBQdc

a full profile picture:
https://imgur.com/V8xLdmq

When I give this full power (450' +) it turns over hard. I can power my arm down to 60% - 65% and it'll hyzer flip up to flat, turn a little right, and come back gently towards the end. From what I was reading earlier in this post, that seems pretty on-line with what the production Mantises do...

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery and my apologies if I have not posted this in the correct place.

Best
Zachcos

Pretty sure thats not a mantis? Looks like it could be a tracker (which was retooled to the undertaker)

after a little more research, it's looking like this mystery disc may actually be the Discraft Heat.

Sorry to impede on the Mantis discussion - carry on!

Are any of the production run mantis any good in headwind or should I just grab an undertaker?

Are any of the production run mantis any good in headwind or should I just grab an undertaker?

Nope. Unless you're throwing under 250'. Undertakers aren't even great in a headwind, unless you have a first run or Memorial glow Z.

What is the stability like on the new TI mantis? My heat is way flippier than I expected so I'm thinking of trying the mantis out.

What is the stability like on the new TI mantis? My heat is way flippier than I expected so I'm thinking of trying the mantis out.

I was wondering this very thing today - I have a Ti Ace Race Mantis that was supposedly much more stable than the disc Discraft released as the Mantis.

For a 150 class disc, this thing has some teeth. If the Ti Mantis had that, I'd pick me up a few.