• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

DyeingToPlay is easily the most talented disc artist I have seen.

Do you draw most of your designs by hand then hand cut?

@cubeofsoup.... thanks for your kind words. Yes, most of my dyes are hand drawn(or traced) onto vinyl and hand cut. Some are just straight freehand painting.

So i have tried barbasol, rise(dollar store) and some other cheaper shaving cream. The barbasol lays down the best and the foam holds up very well. Rise from dollar tree is very close and twice the shaving cream for the same dollar. The other stuff dried out super fast causing a smoky gritty effect. I like the different options.

Also i have tried pre mixing the dye with shaving cream and just laying the dye in the bed. pre mixing the shaving cream is what got me the blue volt i posted earlier. That method for me is closest to what dan howard is doing. I am gonna try that a few more times. But i feel if you mix the dye with shaving cream first the colors will be way more vibrant and the swirls will be better pronounced.

Setting up from my first dye using hot dip and the rad SC method outlined here and had a quick question regarding the water to ipoly ratios. I've seen the range from 8oz to 32oz of water for 1 pack. My colors are black and blue and I'm looking for intense colors. Any recommendations on water?

Thanks!!!! That was the plan to use 32oz since it sounds like the best move is to just mix the stuff with hot water in a quart mason jar then you can move it around for hot dip pans or just funnel it into squeeze bottles for SC method. Thank god I found the stuff online in Canada...http://www.gsdye.com/ Cheers!

I got a few quick questions before I do my first dye.

How many discs can you dye based off of one Idye packet? I ask because I was thinking of doing a test run marble dye on a Z Flick, but wasn't to sure if it would be a waste of dye.

Also how does everyone apply their dye for marbling? I've seen many people mix the dye with shaving cream and water in a different container, but would it be bad for me to apply extra shaving cream on top of the flattened layer then add dye? Or would the dye be too liquid like and run through the shaving cream? Also any other tips and bits of advice would be nice. Your help is appreciated, and everyone's work on here is amazing!

If you are marbling a ton of dyes. I use used hair dye bottles when I am marbling. Maybe equivalent to a shot for each color can go a real long way. I mix a little shaving cream into the dye.

If you have practice plastic, use it. If you don't like the pattern you laid down scoop it out.

If you are marbling a ton of dyes. I use used hair dye bottles when I am marbling. Maybe equivalent to a shot for each color can go a real long way. I mix a little shaving cream into the dye.

If you have practice plastic, use it. If you don't like the pattern you laid down scoop it out.

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to be using restaurant ketchup and mustard bottles. I also wanted to make sure I got this right. Do you mix the dye and shaving cream in something separate (ex: shot glass like you mentioned), the hair dye bottle, or just lay down both on the shaving cream already laid down?

Thanks again MrGlass! Everyone's amazing work on here really made me want to try it out! I'll be doing my first dye once I'm back from Mexico.

My first sc marble. oops, forgot it in the oven and it sunk.:doh:
I still like it. Edges still glow.
2013-03-24_10-20-09_687-1.jpg

2013-03-24_10-21-49_216-1.jpg