• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking OB Lines for a Tournament

miketike

I need some guidance on properly marking OB lines for a tournament & the different types of materials used to do this. I have seen several different methods used & I want it to be clear with no room for error or confusion during the tournament. Please help by answering or pointing me in the direction of a current thread that already addresses my concerns. Thanks

I see a lot of OB marked with string or ribbon. It is easy to pick up afterwards, and it makes it very easy to tell what's in vs. out.

Typically the string/ribbon is held in place with marking flags. (Think of the flags that are used when marking underground utilities prior to excavation/construction. They are cheap, highly visible, and easy to find in bulk.) In addition to holding the OB line in place, the line of flags makes the OB more visible from a distance.

A word of caution:
The string/ribbon needs to be tight between the flags and low to the ground. If the installation is sloppy, wind can move the OB line, which might unfairly penalize some players more than others throughout the tournament. Spacing the flags close together can also help to prevent this.

I need some guidance on properly marking OB lines for a tournament & the different types of materials used to do this. I have seen several different methods used & I want it to be clear with no room for error or confusion during the tournament. Please help by answering or pointing me in the direction of a current thread that already addresses my concerns. Thanks

The bolded part is impossible. It doesn't matter how perfectly you do your OB, disc golfers will argue about who's in and who's out.

The bolded part is impossible. It doesn't matter how perfectly you do your OB, disc golfers will argue about who's in and who's out.

If players want to argue when it involves a clearly marked line, the problem is not with the markings.

There's no standard means of marking OB, but paint, rope or string on the ground is the best approach, in combination with flags (surveyor flags work best) that give the line visibility from a distance. I find nails to be a good anchor for the string or rope. The more you use, the less chance of someone tripping or kicking the line out of place.

What they said.

String or rope, nailed down, though not perfect, is the best bet. Paint less so, as it makes a vague line and, depending on the surface, can disappear. Flags or stakes, with O.B. judged by line-of-sight, is used a lot around here and works fairly well.

This has been my method for several years- no problems thus far.

We used to use string at Stoney Hill, but have gone to flags and line-of-sight. But it's just due to a labor shortage; I'd go back to string if time permitted. (We have a LOT of O.B. to mark).

I have a lot to mark too. Cattle play hell with any and all methods so flags and line of sight has won out based on labor saved as you point out.

Spray paint is easy, but it stays after the tournament. That's OK if you are the only ones who will use the course in the next year or so. And you have permission to put what is essentially graffiti all over the place. I've seen courses with two or three layers of overlapping OB lines, arrows to next tees, temporary tee pads, drop zones, etc.

Spray paint's drawbacks are both its permanence, and impermanence. Steve's right about the long-lasting paint---in places. But I've seen it used where there are loose leaves, or bare sand, and parts of the line get obliterated by the end of the tournament.

We've used old discarded garden hose nailed down to define an island green at Renny (hole 18). Its cheap and lasts for years. May not be the best choice if you are trying to define thousands of feet of OB.

We put flour in small-nozzled ketchup dispensers and squirt a fine line on the ground. Its cheaper than paint, non-polluting and disappears after a rain or two.

We use paint to mark our OB lines at our annual tournament. Just remember to say something during your players meeting about whether the OB lines are in bounds our out. Typically the OB line is considered part of OB.

Garden Lime is a great method, as well. It will easily last a week, isn't effected by wind, and within a couple months will dissolve into the ground, which is actually GOOD for the environment - as opposed to any unnatural-fibered string, plastics, or metal poles on flags. It typically used for marking soccer and football fields, doesn't cost too much, is easy to come by, and they have marking carts that will control the line you're laying.

A lot of variables here---

---Permanent, or just for a tournament?
---Public or private course?
---Disc-golf-only or multi-use area?
---Surface (grass, rock, leaves, dirt)?
---How much O.B. to be marked?
---How precise you need to be? (A bigger tournament, with more money on the line, perhaps more than your local C-tier)

I probably over do it. BUT, I use 18 inch wooden stakes ($12 for 25) that I paint bright yellow. I get my 8 & 10 year olds to help with the painting. I use them to mark the OB lines and leave them up 365 days a year. Then, for big tournaments, I will take bright yellow masonry string (about $7.50 for 500 feet) and string it between the stakes so there is not question.

Stakes have to be replaced about every 12-to-18 months, but it keeps the OB line in play all year long for not a whole lot of money. Being a private course I do not have to worry about vandals so this may not be feasible in all locations, but it works really, really well.