• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the Basket

I was astonished enough that anyone would write on a basket/sign/whatever....moreso that they would confess to it here....moreso that they would be proud of it.

It's not hate, just civil behaviour:

If it's not yours, it's not yours to do what you please with it.

Buy yourself a basket, write all over it.

Someone else buys the basket, keep your pen off.

I haven't been tempted to write on something that didn't belong to me since I was about 13 years old. Luckily, I also live in a place where this criminal behaviour isn't commonplace.

Logically, I would equate basket tagging to picnic table carving. They're both there for public use and they are probably about the same $ to replace.

When I see a picnic table that's been carved up with "S.K. + T.H. 4-EVER" or "For a good time, call...", while it doesn't reduce the table's functionality, it does give me a sense that the park is not appreciated by those who use it.

My favorite graffitti in school was someone had carved F__k into a desk and another guy came along and changed the F to a B and slipped an i in there so it read Buick.

Awesome.

My favorite graffitti in school was someone had carved F__k into a desk and another guy came along and changed the F to a B and slipped an i in there so it read Buick.

Awesome.

That is good. And I wasn't saying that you are an idiot, just that your house/car argument is idiotic. You would have to post a few more 80 played type comments for me to just straight call you an idiot.

Awesome on the name calling BTW.

His view "It isn't my property so I don't give a **** about it"

My view "It isn't my car, so I don't give a **** about it"

Where is the logic failure?

Besides thats why I switched to the road in front of your house. It is public property and not yours but if I sprayed "Here lives a douchewagon" you probably wouldn't leave it would you?

The logical failure:

1. The basket is my property (assuming a public course), as much as it is yours or anyone else's. So if 1000 people use that basket, I have a right to sign my .001 of the basket if I want to. If that somehow interfered with your ability to use the basket it would not be okay, but it does not at all.

The car, on the other hand, is owned by an individual, and only that person can decide what should be written on it. But if I payed $1 toward your $1000 dollar buick, then I have the right to sign the bumper. I wouldn't if you asked me not too, but still my right.

2. "Here lives a douchewagon" is hateful and an insult to another person, whereas signing a basket to commemorate an ace is celebratory and personal.

3. Writing in the road may cause traffic problems which can get people hurt, signing a basket at worse distracts some people when putting, and if you are distracted that easily you probably suck at putting to begin with, and nobody's like is dependent upon it.

What kind of world are we living in when someone thinks it's OK to deface somebody else's graffiti.

So your falicy in logic is that one is less bad than the other because of possible consequences?

The problem with signing baskets is the progrsion,
Bob aces and puts

ace Bob 10-29-09

the next guy sees that and adds to it

bull**** and draws a large cow ****ting on bob

See Rockwall TX for example...

Or you have hole 1 at DeBusk in Mequite TX that is around 100'. The entire band is covered and it looks terrible. I have to wonder, who cares? you hit a 100' shot,, oh wow...

signing a basket at worse distracts some people when putting, and if you are distracted that easily you probably suck at putting to begin with, and nobody's like (life?) is dependent upon it.

No, the worst case is that the people who administer the park will see the vandalized equipment and decide that disc golf isn't really worth maintaining if that's how the players treat the course.

The logical failure:

1. The basket is my property (assuming a public course), as much as it is yours or anyone else's. So if 1000 people use that basket, I have a right to sign my .001 of the basket if I want to. .

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever seen. have you ever actually dealt with a parks department on getting a course installed/maintained?

i suppose since i'm an american taxpayer i'm free to write something on the washington monument?

The logical failure:

1. The basket is my property (assuming a public course), as much as it is yours or anyone else's. So if 1000 people use that basket, I have a right to sign my .001 of the basket if I want to. If that somehow interfered with your ability to use the basket it would not be okay, but it does not at all.

i think the municipality (public government entity) that purchased the basket may argue with you on that one.
furthurmore, i dont believe there is a town, city or state that condones graffiti on public property.
and is punishable by law, or ordinance.
granted the crime is almost like jaywalking in its punishment, but as stated before it does make the disc golf equipment look trashy and cheesy and may give the wrong impression to people who may have a say in whether disc golf is allowed on public property.

i suppose since i'm an american taxpayer i'm free to write something on the washington monument?

Hell when I get laid off I am gonna block off a mile or two of I-85 and set up camp. I figure with all the miles of interstate in America my taxes must've paid for at least that much. ;)

Hell when I get laid off I am gonna block off a mile or two of I-85 and set up camp. I figure with all the miles of interstate in America my taxes must've paid for at least that much. ;)

You get to use 3 squares of toilet paper at your nearest rest area.

damn... they closed all the rest areas around here.

Yeah here too...the gay taxpayers used them as their orgy dens...which is ok I suppose since they paid for them.

Logically, I would equate basket tagging to picnic table carving. They're both there for public use and they are probably about the same $ to replace.

I would too. Neither should EVER be done.

The argument that something is publicly owned, so any member of the public can do anything to it as long as it's still working, is full of holes.

I must acknowledge that, if someone's reached this point in their life and doesn't understand this, it's highly unlikely a discussion board can fix their problem.

the worst case is that the people who administer the park will see the vandalized equipment and decide that disc golf isn't really worth maintaining if that's how the players treat the course.

Piggy backing with: the possibility of getting a future course developed by those decision makers? Wouldn't be prudent with all the vandalizing.

Vandalism is the mating call of low lifes.

The problem with signing baskets is the progrsion,
Bob aces and puts

ace Bob 10-29-09

the next guy sees that and adds to it

bull**** and draws a large cow ****ting on bob

See Rockwall TX for example...

Or you have hole 1 at DeBusk in Mequite TX that is around 100'. The entire band is covered and it looks terrible. I have to wonder, who cares? you hit a 100' shot,, oh wow...
LOL that's how it is at Bear Branch in The Woodlands. We have to clean up trash cans and paint over benches all the time.

I will say that this discussion changed my view on the subject so next time I play the course that I aced last week I will take out some acetone and clean it off. I will also say that numerous people who have posted in defense of the subject need a re-education in logic and using analogies:p

I can't believe that this thread has gone on for so long on what it is so obvious.

Defacing public or private property is wrong on any level you can think of. Marking a basket, a sign, a car, a roadway, a monument, a house, etc that is not YOURS is defacing said property. This is not really a subject for debate. Anything contained within a public park unless specifically so desginated is public property. I defy anyone here or anywhere to prove that unless so designated it is legal to deface said public property. The same holds true for private property. Is this really something that some people don't understand? I mean if a 10 year old didn't understand it I wouldn't be shocked. But my guess is that even at 10 years old the overwhelming majority of kids would know that defacing public or private property is WRONG.

But another thing disturbs me. The fact that some folks would dime out their fellow golfers by "calling the cops." I really can't fathom that mentality either. I must belong to a different generation. If the actions of childishness disturbs you then speak like an adult to the offender and call it good. If they listen to your kind words of common sense, great. If they don't, then they are bigger d-bags than is worth your time. Let's not forget that we all live in glass houses in some way or another. So do you want stones thrown in your direction. Do unto others... Remember that one?

And as some have said it adds to the culture. Adds what really? Adds the fact that some of us do not know how to act? So is our marking baskets a statement that no matter what our age we don't care what others think? Are we so important that we have to leave a public mark to prove our immaturity?

I guess, in my mind, being a tax payer allows you to use public facilities in the manner in which they were intended to be used, not to modify in a way that suits only you.