• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the Basket

No, the worst case is that the people who administer the park will see the vandalized equipment and decide that disc golf isn't really worth maintaining if that's how the players treat the course.

This argument is often brought up, but has a course ever been pulled because of signatures on the basket? Actual vandalism is a different story, but I defy anyone to find a clean, well maintained course that was shut down because of ace signatures on the basket.

I would too. Neither should EVER be done.

The argument that something is publicly owned, so any member of the public can do anything to it as long as it's still working, is full of holes.

I must acknowledge that, if someone's reached this point in their life and doesn't understand this, it's highly unlikely a discussion board can fix their problem.

I agree with this, but it is a more valid argument than "so you wouldn't care if I signed your house."

I want to clarify that I do believe it is morally wrong and illegal to sign the basket, but it is so inconsequential that I don't see why you people get your panties in a wad over it. I think that people dropping butts on the course is a million times worse (you folks seem to like hyperbole), and yet I bet some of you anti-basket signers drops your butts all over the place.

I agree, and you sir are an idiot.

I changed my mind on this topic based on the fact that so many people feel it should not be signed, but some of the arguments, like comparing signing a basket to signing a house, are completely idiotic and show a lack of basic logical reasoning ability.

Some parents maybe should have beat their kids more, but maybe yours should have just helped you with your homework.

i got good grades and almost aced my sats...so make more assumptions:D

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever seen. have you ever actually dealt with a parks department on getting a course installed/maintained?

i suppose since i'm an american taxpayer i'm free to write something on the washington monument?

i was gonna stay out of this and let him dig himself deeper...how am i an idiot because i know what vandalism is and it is against the law? DB

Well, if you want to get into listing things that are worse, this will be a REALLY long thread.

Sure, it's a little thing. Still illegal. Would you do it with the park manager or ranger standing there? The police patrolling the park?

It's just one signature. But I know baskets that have been aced hundreds of times. Imagine the mess if everyone wanted that dash of fame.

It comes to a matter of principle. It's not yours. Don't do it.

I thought the "signing your car" was quite an appropriate retort, and knew immediately it wasn't a joke. It's just a little signature and doesn't affect the function, so why not?

i was gonna stay out of this and let him dig himself deeper...how am i an idiot because i know what vandalism is and it is against the law? DB

You are an idiot because you are constantly calling people names and making statements that don't make sense (more on other threads than this one). I would not call someone an idiot for thinking that a basket should not be signed. In fact, I am pretty sure you are the only person I've ever called a name on the internet, except maybe war eagle.

Alright, I'm done defending a position that I don't really care about. But why don't we all stop with the name calling and hyperbole, it detracts from a discussion that can't get much worse.

You are an idiot because you are constantly calling people names and making statements that don't make sense (more on other threads than this one). I would not call someone an idiot for thinking that a basket should not be signed. In fact, I am pretty sure you are the only person I've ever called a name on the internet, except maybe war eagle.

Alright, I'm done defending a position that I don't really care about. But why don't we all stop with the name calling and hyperbole, it detracts from a discussion that can't get much worse.

everything i say makes sense, just because you don't agree or can't comprehend, doesn't make it illogical..go change your depends

I agree with this, but it is a more valid argument than "so you wouldn't care if I signed your house."

I want to clarify that I do believe it is morally wrong and illegal to sign the basket, but it is so inconsequential that I don't see why you people get your panties in a wad over it. I think that people dropping butts on the course is a million times worse (you folks seem to like hyperbole), and yet I bet some of you anti-basket signers drops your butts all over the place.

I get my panties (lace thong) in a wad because the basket is the essence of the course and I don't like it being sullied in any way. It's certainly not inconsequential when everybody starts doing it.

I'm equally appalled by litter on the course. Butts are very similar to basket signatures. One might not be a big deal, but if you get one of them, you'll get hundreds.

How about this?

A lot of good points have been made on both sides. I like courses that are neat and clean, but I also agreee that tagging can be "cultural" and add local flavor.

Here is my suggestion:
If you ace a basket with no markings on it, leave it that way or tag it with a UV marker. Carry one in your bag if you need to relive the moment or see who else may have had success. For under $10 they make one that is a marker on one end and UV flashlight on the other.

If you ace a basket that already has some "personality", feel free to add to it. If the locals decide the tagging is not the kind or culture they want in their community, then that basket can be repainted or replaced. AFTERWHICH, that basket is unmarked and should be left alone or only UV markers used.

This plan allows for local flavor, will eventually lead to clean-looking baskets, and best of all, gives us another disc golf accessory to add to our bag!

Everybody is happy, right?

A lot of good points have been made on both sides. I like courses that are neat and clean, but I also agreee that tagging can be "cultural" and add local flavor.

Here is my suggestion:
If you ace a basket with no markings on it, leave it that way or tag it with a UV marker. Carry one in your bag if you need to relive the moment or see who else may have had success. For under $10 they make one that is a marker on one end and UV flashlight on the other.

If you ace a basket that already has some "personality", feel free to add to it. If the locals decide the tagging is not the kind or culture they want in their community, then that basket can be repainted or replaced. AFTERWHICH, that basket is unmarked and should be left alone or only UV markers used.

This plan allows for local flavor, will eventually lead to clean-looking baskets, and best of all, gives us another disc golf accessory to add to our bag!

You mistook the reason for the internet. We want arguments, not solutions!

My friend pointed out where he had tagged a basket after he made an ace. I asked him why he doesn't consider that vandalism and he just shrugged it off as part of the game. He even mentioned that he had marked a basket he had made a '2' on because it's a 620' hole and in his own words, his "second shot was as good as any ace."

Here is my suggestion:

Half right. Not marking baskets is correct. Condoning and or encouraging childish behavior is not.

Half right. Not marking baskets is correct. Condoning and or encouraging childish behavior is not.

Oh, but it works for littering, too:

If you don't see litter on the ground, don't litter.
If there is already litter on the ground, feel free to toss your Natty Light can on the ground with all the others. If the locals don't like it, they can clean it up themselves.

The logical failure:

1. The basket is my property (assuming a public course), as much as it is yours or anyone else's. So if 1000 people use that basket, I have a right to sign my .001 of the basket if I want to.
If I were to buy into this moronic logic, no basket tagger could mark anything larger than the smiley below. In fact, I think it would be smaller yet when you consider not everyone pays equal taxes, and the people most likely to tag baskets probably aren't putting that much into the public coffers to begin with.
:rolleyes:

Something I might want to point out is that just because you see disc golf baskets in a public park doesn't necessarily mean that they're public property. In many cases they're actually private property belonging to the local disc golf club which the parks department has given blessing to put in that public park. That club has the right to pull said baskets anytime they want for any reason they want. So in those instances, unless you're a member of that particular club, no you didn't pay for them, and hence they're not yours.

And even when they are the parks department's property, if you don't live in the taxing jurisdiction where the course is located and you did not help fund the money that paid for those baskets, they're still not yours, not even .001% yours.

If that somehow interfered with your ability to use the basket it would not be okay, but it does not at all.
The cig butts and beer cans on the ground don't interfere with my play either, but in either case it makes the course look like an eyesore. When those of us considerate enough to keep the park clean see graffiti on the baskets, it implies that the park is frequented by seedy people and is not a safe place to be. This runs off the family crowd who were trying to demonstrate the sport to. But hey, more course for you then right?

The car, on the other hand, is owned by an individual, and only that person can decide what should be written on it. But if I payed $1 toward your $1000 dollar buick, then I have the right to sign the bumper. I wouldn't if you asked me not too, but still my right.
Three words. Cash for Clunkers. Better stock up on Sharpies dude. There's a lot of new vehicles on the roads that taxpayer money helped fund. You might get arrested or get your ass kicked, but hey, its your right, right?

kerplunk;1783202. said:
"Here lives a douchewagon" is hateful and an insult to another person, whereas signing a basket to commemorate an ace is celebratory and personal.
To the people who didn't take part in the happy moment, the intent of any graffiti is irrelevant. It's still graffiti. Besides, I come to the course three hours later with some Goof Off, your memento is gone. If you want something to commemorate the moment, have everyone sign your disc, and take a picture with the basket.

Those of you who defend this practice are just cementing my opinion of why disc golf needs to go to a pay for play model. I guarantee a great deal of the people who are douchewagonny enough to tag a basket would probably go somewhere else if there was even a $1-2 daily course fee standing in their way. That cuts into their beer, weed, and Sharpie marker money.

Last edited: