• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Max, Coyote, and Super Stingray OOP?

A slightly domey old mold Coyote in opaque Champion plastic = MONEY.

^TRUTH!!! :hfive:

I slowly phased 'em outta my bag in favor of a comet once the champ ones went oop a couple of years back, but I'm still sitting on a really big stack of old semi-domes. :cool:

The last couple of runs I saw in champ were super domey and pretty crappy. :\

I still throw proto-champ glowie coyotes as my main glow disc.

Just a really solid, versatile mid-range. :thmbup:

I thought the lycan sucked elfballs. :mad:

I throw a Max, Monster and a Teerex X
Some over lap but I use them for different shots. As far as the Max goes I don't think they even did that many runs of it, maybe even just 2. If there isn't a neew to do another run there's no need to keep it on the market. Teerexs they just plain screwed up the mold after the first run which was the best. Teerex xs in star are getting super rare but are the closest to the protos.

The Super Stingray would have had much more success if they would have put the flat, high PLH Star version into production. They were only produced for Inncolor CFR runs and most people just hung those on the wall instead of throwing them.

I suppose it's just a hunch. I figure if you don't see people throwing them on the course people may have bought like one which they tried out. But of molds they have in the bag most people buy multiple back ups.

I've seen more people use maxs then any of those I listed. Does innova report sales numbers on discs? I'd like to read that.

I've also never tried a teedevil, assume it's like a destroyer from the flight numbers. And I'm not saying all those discs don't have a following. A lot of times seems like courses have fads and you'll go there and almost everybody is throwing blahzblahz cuz homeboy pro throws it like a beast.

I do wonder if this is all business model...

There was a bar in the town where I went to college. I was there, let's just say, beyond the standard 4 year run. <wink>

But anyway, about every 3 years or so this place would close down for a month or so, redecorate/change the theme/change the name, and reopen. Same owners etc, just gave them the illusion of being the new hot sauce over and over.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if the max (in this case) goes bye-bye, I'd be suprised if there wasn't something pretty much exactly like it that'd take its place nicely.

You mean one that isn't an Xcal, Monster, Ape, PD2 or Teerex? :|

Exactly. Sure everyone has a preferred mold, but its not like there aren't enough alternatives out there just using Innova's lineup.

Its an opportunity cost issue for innova. Doing another run of these discs that don't sell and have to sit on them for forever is taking away from production of other discs that will sell quickly.

Really fast, super overstable drivers are a niche market anyway. 99.9% of players don't have the arm speed to throw them, so the disc had better take off with the .1% that do for it to stick around (IE PD2, Xcal, ect.)

Ya agreed Pb. Well besides the firebird. It's like who doesn't have one lol. Guess not 'fast' tho.

Toro I wouldn't be surprised if the max is replaced by a firebird3. Just the name alone will sell a buttload I bet and I bet that's exactly what is happening. Some kind of marketing scheme

Toro I wouldn't be surprised if the max is replaced by a firebird3. Just the name alone will sell a buttload I bet and I bet that's exactly what is happening. Some kind of marketing scheme

I know the "3" lineup is kind of a gimmick to capitalize on other molds popularity, but that lineup is actually pretty solid. Count me in on someone who would TOTALLY fall for the firebird3 gimmick and not even feel bad about it.

You mean one that isn't an Xcal, Monster, Ape, PD2 or Teerex? :|

the xcal is the only thing on this list that I know could be a substitute. Ape, PD2, and tee-rex aren't even close. I only throw speed 11 for my max d drivers so maxes, rexes and archons have been a good line up for me. I went by a local store today and all their maxes were gone. hmmm. ha

I did pick up an awesome marbled star monster. I'll have to give it a test run soon.

the xcal is the only thing on this list that I know could be a substitute. Ape, PD2, and tee-rex aren't even close. I only throw speed 11 for my max d drivers so maxes, rexes and archons have been a good line up for me. I went by a local store today and all their maxes were gone. hmmm. ha

I did pick up an awesome marbled star monster. I'll have to give it a test run soon.

I have thrown a few Teerexs that were super beefy, similar to my Max.

Hey all, thread resurrection. Anyone find a replacement for Coyotes? Great disc, but being OOP is a a thing,so I'm looking to replace my Star Coyote. I have thrown Comets, but the feel of the disc just isn't as comfortable to me as the coyote,though the flight is wonderful. I've thrown QMSs before, and those are nice but still not quuiite right. Has anyone thrown the C Line MD from Discmania? More than anything, I'm looking for a similar feel, but the flight should obviously be close. Thanks!

Hey all, thread resurrection. Anyone find a replacement for Coyotes? Great disc, but being OOP is a a thing,so I'm looking to replace my Star Coyote. I have thrown Comets, but the feel of the disc just isn't as comfortable to me as the coyote,though the flight is wonderful. I've thrown QMSs before, and those are nice but still not quuiite right. Has anyone thrown the C Line MD from Discmania? More than anything, I'm looking for a similar feel, but the flight should obviously be close. Thanks!

The Prodigy M4 feels a lot like the Coyote, but the flight (of the M4) might be more understable than you're looking for.

I would look at the Icon Gauge from Legacy and the S-Line MD-2 from Discmania.

I have not thrown the MD. I have thrown the other 3.

I'd buy from the Innova store if they didn't gouge on price and/or shipping. I'd love a Star Cobra, or a G-star Gazelle, but not for $25 a pop.

I don't need priority shipping at 6.65 a disc (gimme pony express for free), and I'm not spending enough for the free shipping.

I guess enough people buy them up that they can do what they do though, and perhaps I'm a scrooge.

I'd buy from the Innova store if they didn't gouge on price and/or shipping. I'd love a Star Cobra, or a G-star Gazelle, but not for $25 a pop.

I don't need priority shipping at 6.65 a disc (gimme pony express for free), and I'm not spending enough for the free shipping.

I guess enough people buy them up that they can do what they do though, and perhaps I'm a scrooge.

+1 on this. I don't want or need to buy enough discs from the proshop to get free shipping, nor do I need to buy enough F2 discs to get those discounts. And $6.00 (or more) for shipping is ridiculous. :thmbdown: This is the main reason I don't buy from the proshop very often at all...

Icon or Legend Gauge.