• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max Distance Needed To Be 1000 Rated?

How Far Do You Have To Throw To Be 1000 Rated?

• Total voters
Hmm, let's see, Paige throws around 450 and is not a 1000 rated player. I would think the accuracy would be the main thing with distance. And the putting has to be in there too. Like maybe 60% made from 25 to 35 feet could make you get in the upper 900's but 75% from that distance might bump you up in the 1000's.
I am hoping for 50% from 15 feet so I am not worried about 4 figures.

Her consistency and aggressive play sometimes gets her. I see her make some mistakes on the putting green that can't happen to be 1000. That said, when she doesn't make those errors she easily shoots 1000 rated rounds it seems...based on visuals of me watching footage, I don't have the hard numbers.

I'd rather see her play aggressive like that though, when she consistently gets the results like that she'll have very good scores.

I think it's a bit off-base to say Cale maxes between 400-450. I believe I've personally seen him throwing over 450'

Thanks for clarifying...I've never played with him so as I said I was just guessing 450 from video. When he plays on a lead card in a big tournament it seems his advantages are in his many other strengths besides distance. So I think it's still an example of a guy who has reached an elite level without elite distance. Maybe not the best example for this thread since he's so far over 1000.

Does anyone know how far MJ can throw? I feel he has the shortest throw of any National rated player.
I would say Sexton is the shortest BH thrower of any 1030+ rated players. I think MJ throws further than him.

Does anyone know how far MJ can throw? I feel he has the shortest throw of any National rated player.

I'm not sure where people get this impression but MJ has plenty of distance. You can watch the 2017 ledstone open coverage and see him park hole 5 (476') with a crank or in the circle left on the 500' 10th. Looking at the first three pages of names by rating on PDGA, i don't see anyone who can't hit 450'

I find it amusing that we are asking how far you need to throw, then just tossing numbers out there as if we have actually measured anyone's throws. Maybe the better question would be: How far do other players need to think you throw to be 1000 rated?

My measuring stick is hole 1 at Maple Hill Gold. If they can clear the pond without having to bail out left, they've got 400+ distance. It measures ~480 straight across the water and plays downhill. Of those I've observed over the years, few if any 1000 rated players struggle to get over it. Meanwhile, I can't clear it (at least not straight across) and I've only got 375-400 max range (also being LHBH, I don't have the option of dumping out left).

My measuring stick is hole 1 at Maple Hill Gold. If they can clear the pond without having to bail out left, they've got 400+ distance. It measures ~480 straight across the water and plays downhill. Of those I've observed over the years, few if any 1000 rated players struggle to get over it. Meanwhile, I can't clear it (at least not straight across) and I've only got 375-400 max range (also being LHBH, I don't have the option of dumping out left).

You could always throw a hyzer WAY left! :)

You could always throw a hyzer WAY left! :)

Lots of trees over that way...big tall ones. :)

Depending on the wind situation, I'll either throw a big turnover that hopefully glides far enough left to be safe even if it fades back or I'll toss a putter to the edge of the water near the drop zone and try to get as close to the green as I can from there. Best I'm getting is a four no matter what I do so it's not worth any real heroics.

That's not exactly a tape-measured set of throws.

I got to play on a card in front of MJ this past weekend (with long backups) and he was throwing Bangers on 300 ft+ holes and Comets on holes where others were going with drivers.

He definitely has the distance capability.

Yeah I'm pretty sure MJ is at least in the Anthon tier of distance, in terms of getting D with impeccable angle control.

Looking at the first three pages of names by rating on PDGA, i don't see anyone who can't hit 450'

So keep going! There's seven more pages of current 1000+ rated players...plus everyone who's ever reached 1000. You pick the top 60 players on earth, most of which complete in NT events with the longest courses. Way to lead your evidence.

I know 2 guys that have been hovering at/around 1000 for many years that don't throw 450' (used to but don't anymore)

They are also the 2 most consistent players that I've had the pleasure of sharing a card with. Of course, they tend to stick to more technical courses and don't generally play events like Las Vegas and the Memorial.

Being 1000 rated is way different than competing for top 10 finishes at NT events. 1000 to 1030 is almost as different a game as 935 to 1000, in terms of skill/consistency.

Lots of trees over that way...big tall ones. :)

Depending on the wind situation, I'll either throw a big turnover that hopefully glides far enough left to be safe even if it fades back or I'll toss a putter to the edge of the water near the drop zone and try to get as close to the green as I can from there. Best I'm getting is a four no matter what I do so it's not worth any real heroics.

With the new pin, 4 is a good score.

MJ has got to get over 400'. He just makes it look easy. And Sexton gets 450' for sure backhand, and might get 450' forehand as well if he has to.

Now the original question was how far is the minimum to be 1000 rated. And MJ and Sexton aren't examples of 1000-rated players, as many have pointed out. Get a guy who throws 350' (or 380') accurately, and has a solid game, and he can be 1000 rated. Again, this might be because he chooses to play only tournaments on courses that showcase his strengths. He could easily drop if he started playing other courses, but if the objective is just to be 1000 rated, it wouldn't be that hard.

Since folks have brought up Paige, it makes me wonder. Do you think her rating would be higher or lower if she were playing NT events or even local MPO tourneys? I'm sure it would be different.

I feel like Paige has the luxury of playing however the hell she wants to most of the time, and I think she goes all-out in the pursuit of 1020+ rounds, because that's who she is, and she can win while doing that. That makes her fun to watch and raises her potential round ceilings, but may cost her more strokes than it gains her overall. Hard to say if she would change her approach with different competition. I kind of doubt it, but maybe.
Theoretically, if she threw more stable discs to sacrifice distance for consistency, laid up (a lot) more, rather than running putts well outside the circle, and just took fewer risks overall, that might actually raise her rating. Or not. Who knows? Just from a pure entertainment perspective, I wish more players played like her.

Latest posts